Breakthrough Treatment Of Corns

Guest Energy11

Hi All!

I am about to put the finishing touches on the first aid presentation for Mt. Hounds, and I was thinking of including the website for this cream and the phone number.

Have most of you seen good results, and would you recommend this?

Thanks! Dee

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Fancy who was hit by a car needs help. Susan is donating a tube of corn cream to her auction which is on e-bay as soon as the girl handling the auction contacts Susan it will be up for bids. So if you want a tube of cream for your gh's corns bid on it.

Here is the link

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=255466&view=getnewpost

http://shop.ebay.com/gardeners0_20/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340 e-bay auction

info on Fancy

http://www.gpa-nm.org/fancy.php

Edited by 6greyhounds

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

MURRAY AVENUE APOTHECARY IN THE GREYHOUND PET COMMUNITY-

Murray Avenue Apothecary sponsored the Bath-A-Thon to benefit Steel City Greyhounds on Sunday May 23, 2010. Check out pictures of the Susan and Erica with the greyhounds and friends at the event on our NEW website at www.murrayavenuerx.com.

Yours in health,

Erica

Erica Trimble, PharmD and Susan Merenstein, R.Ph./Owner

Murray Avenue Apothecary

4227 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15217

www.murrayavenuerx.com

erica@murrayavenuerx.com

p:412-421-4996

Hi All!

I am about to put the finishing touches on the first aid presentation for Mt. Hounds, and I was thinking of including the website for this cream and the phone number.

Have most of you seen good results, and would you recommend this?

Thanks! Dee

Dee,

Thank you so much for even considering to put our website in your presentation. In an earlier post, I put some of the responses that I have received from owners using the cream. Also, please feel free to visit our website to get information about the cream if you would like to include that. Again, thank you for your support and interest in help to solve this horrible, persistent pet problem.

Yours in health,

Erica Trimble, PharmD

Murray Avenue Apothecary

Guest Energy11

Glad to help anyone with Greyhounds and corns for sure!

I have listed your website under my "corn" part of the presentation, slated for a week from today, in Gatlinburg, TN. This way, everyone can look at the website, read the testimonials, and maybe have an alternative to what they are doing now.

Thanks for helping the greyhounds! Deanne McKimmey EMT-P retired. Veterinary Assistant, retired.

If anyone is reading the saga of Fancy who was a run away that was hit by a car. Susan has donated a tube of cream for her auction which will be on e-bay. Need some cream and want to help out this pretty brindle girl check out the auction or Fancy's thread here on GT

Good that you are getting the cream - there is a tube up for auction that Susan has generously donated to help out with the cost of Fancy's vet bills for anyone that is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from seeing Erica and Susan and they told me that they are getting a lot of positive reports on the cream.

also found out that Susan can give you a good price on medications and I am now getting all of EZ's medications off of her. Giant Eagle who claims to match the lowest price is charging me $8.00 for 60 pills (1 month supply) Susan is giving them to me for $10 for 100 pills, she is also giving me EZ's phenobarbital cheaper than the lowest price I found including CostCo's price. Also I get his KBr there and she only charges me $49 for 100 capsules which I was told on an EPI Board that was very reasonable. So if you do not have insurance to pay for your greys medication check around or check with Susan and see what she can give them to you for.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LindsaySF

How are things going for everyone with the treatment?

Teagan's now a member of the corn club. :( It's a club we didn't want to join.... He never limped but I noticed the corn on his right rear paw about a month ago. I hulled it today and am looking for how to proceed now.

Oh...how I wish that I had known about this one month ago.....I never would have sent Jack for surgery that day if I had thought there were more options to try.......At least for the future, we know there are more choices out there! Thanks for sharing.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Robin wish you had known about it sooner also. As soon as I found out about it I posted here on gt for everyone to know. Just keep this in mind incase Jack gets another corn.

Edited by 6greyhounds

Robin wish you had known about it sooner also. As soon as I found out about it I posted here on gt for everyone to know. Just keep this in mind incase Jack gets another corn.

I'm relatively new to GT.....and sadly, Jack died of post surgical complications from the corn just a few weeks ago....my heart just broke....I had tried the Dr. Scholl's stuff, therapaw boots, winter boots, etc....everything but duct tape, which I knew he would not like....and everyone said how easy the surgery was.....He walked OK with a winter boot on, but I know that they eventually have to be dealt with or they are debilatating.....At least I know now for my old boy EZ if he gets them, and my very new adoptees..... Thanks!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Well, as for my Jack, he had his corns (four of them!) removed a little over a month ago, and it appears they are back. :( I've been using the corn cream faithfully since a few days after his hulling, but still they returned. Poor fellow. He's limping again.

I have to take him to the vet, she told me she'll show me how to tend to them myself.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Well, as for my Jack, he had his corns (four of them!) removed a little over a month ago, and it appears they are back. :( I've been using the corn cream faithfully since a few days after his hulling, but still they returned. Poor fellow. He's limping again.

I have to take him to the vet, she told me she'll show me how to tend to them myself.

As with any medication it does not work for all. There have been good reports about this cream and I would rather try the cream than go for the surgery any day. I have a fear of anesthesia for anyone two legged or four so many things can go wrong

On April 24 Jerseygirl posted this; has anyone gone this route? It's totally different from the usual corn treatments and it worked for Riley. Bartonella apparently can cause corns -- and bad teeth, to boot. It would be worth testing "corn dogs" for Bartonella and then treating the Bartonella *and* the corns. This could be another breakthrough treatment and perhaps used in conjunction with the new cream.

Zithromax.

Our vet has been working with us for over a year to get rid of Riley's corns - hullings, laser surgeries - they always came back. On a hunch recently, she put Riley on Zithromax in case the cause of his corns wasn't mechanical. Considering the environment they are raised in (hard to control fleas, ticks, etc.), she thought it could be Bartonella. It's common in cats and manifests itself in many ways, one of which is impaired modulation of the immune system and the inflammatory response. After one round of Zithro, his small corns + the roots popped right out, and his large ones had shrunk to less than half the size, which we'd never seen before with any other treatment. He's since undergone a second round, and is on his third, until we get everything out. And Riley's teeth are AMAZING on Zithro - another reason to suspect Bartonella, which can cause extreme gum disease in cats. Seriously, they're like a Crest commercial. She finally sent his bloodwork to a vet that does Bartonella research, and Riley came up positive, a 3 on a scale of (what I recall) 4! Our other grey, without corns and whose teeth don't get as bad between brushings, came up negative. It's definitely an interesting lead, considering everything else we've done, and one that is very promising if confirmed. In cats at least, many effects of Bartonella are reversible with clearance of the bacteria (like the gum disease), and don't manifest themselves again.

This may not be the cause for *every* corn dog, but hopefully it can help some of them. The Zithro isn't cheap, even the generic, but it's totally worth it if it works, and is still cheaper than multiple surgeries. I'm not saying surgery is the wrong option - every dog is different and what hasn't work for some, might still work for others. It just wasn't a long term solution for us, and I thought I'd share this in the event that there are others out there who have reached a dead end, like us, and are looking to explore other options.

Liz

The more non surgical treatment the better - I would rather try medication that surgery anyday. As I said in my previous post I do have a fear on anesthesia and just heard of two greyhounds that passed away recently after a surgical procedure and we are told to be aware of anesthesia with our greys. It seems as if both procedures were minor surgery

Guest LindsaySF

contact the pharmacy

Well, I know what the pharmacy will tell me. ;) I'd rather hear from the customers directly.

Interesting info about the Zithro Marcia. Where was that posted? I will look into it! :)

Guest jerseygirl

Hi,

I was the one that posted about the Zithro. One BIG note though - if you go that route, and see results, DO NOT stop the Zithro until everything is cleared. We did 3 rounds (10 days each) of Zithro and his corns started clearing like we've never seen before. It was *amazing*! After the 3rd course, there was still a small hint of Riley's larger corns remaining, and he was off Zithro for ~10-14 days until we decided what to do next. By the time we put him on his 4th, 5th, and 6th course of Zithro, the results started to diminish. We've speculated that his body may have become resistant to it, or that whatever was causing the corns (the Bartonella, or something the Bartonella kept his body from fighting) reemerged during that time and was harder to combat. We've moved on to other avenues in the meantime, and will try Zithro again after some time. The vet doing Bartonella research (that our vet was consulting with) did mention that it could take up to several months of Zithro treatment to clear a really bad case of Bartonella.

For the time it was working for us, Zithro was like a miracle treatment for Riley's corns and I'm hoping we can give it another go. I just thought I'd add a word of caution given our most recent experiences with it. I really hope someone else is able to try it with success. Right now we're hulling and doing some OTC treatment, but our vet has some leads she's checking out in other areas. If anything pans out, I'll share my experiences. We're so lucky to have such a great vet - my husband calls her "House, DVM" :)

Liz

PS - The only reason we haven't tried the cream yet, is that Riley HATES having his feet bagged and soaked once a week (let alone every night), and he has corns on 3 of his paws right now. If we must, we'll go down that route. It does sound promising :)

I'm so glad you checked back in. I think the 4/24 post is a really important one, which is why I reposted it.:) Knowing it takes months of zithromax is an important finding. You have a fantastic vet!

Did your vet mention changing antibiotics to see if that made a difference? After months of antibiotics, how did Riley's gut handle it?

We can take this private if you want. :blush

Edited by MZH

The vet told me that there has even been some research into doing silicone implants for dogs with resistant corns...like little breast implants in their feet...so there's a little cushion there; since the theory is that greyhounds just don't have the fat above the pad to cushion the pad, and that's why they develop corns.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.