Breakthrough Treatment Of Corns

Guest littlesyd85

Yes, Dr. Bill Feeman is in Ohio and yes he is a GreyTalk member. I haven't heard back from Dr. Couto or the Greyhound Health & Wellness Program yet but I did receive an email from Bill and he did mention that he spoke to the pharmacist on the phone. Below is the email I received from him.

I actually talked to the pharmacist earlier this week after hearing about the treatment from another vet, Christine Kellogg. The pharmacist says that 8/10 dogs they treated were "cured". I guess I'm still skeptical as I did talk to one vet that saw one of the treated dogs and it was not cured (maybe it was 1 of the 2 that wasn't) after 2 months. The pharmacist is very nice and is sending me a sample of the cream. For me, once I get the information (probably next week) I'll probably offer it to clients with the understanding that maybe it will help maybe not... but what do we have to lose by trying it. I'll have owners use it after hulling ideally and track progress. : )

-Bill Feeman, DVM

I'm still hoping to hear from Couto and/or the GHWP. They are usually pretty good about getting back to me when I have questions. I'll let you know if I get anymore updates.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! Thanks for all the clarification Susan! Also, thanks Beryl for making sure our questions are answered! I hope I was one of the 50 :lol :lol :lol

And yes, Naty, we'll be comparing notes and Pat has asked to keep her updated. I hope your joining us at the beach on Sunday with Bailey to start the salt soaking process :lol :lol :lol

Salt soaking process - if that works, this step has to be included in the instructions. :P If Erin is feeling better from her extractions, we'll be there.

Awesome! Thanks for all the clarification Susan! Also, thanks Beryl for making sure our questions are answered! I hope I was one of the 50 :lol :lol :lol

And yes, Naty, we'll be comparing notes and Pat has asked to keep her updated. I hope your joining us at the beach on Sunday with Bailey to start the salt soaking process :lol :lol :lol

Salt soaking process - if that works, this step has to be included in the instructions. :P If Erin is feeling better from her extractions, we'll be there.

Susan is constantly editing the instructions - I had to wait yesterday for the revised instructions to take to my vet and to PVSEC when I take EZ to his neurologist. Who knows what I have may be outdated by the time I get my appointment.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Just a couple other bits of info from Murray Avenue Apothecary....

We are located in PA on the east coast (Eastern Std Time Zone).

So our hours may be a little different for those of you on the west coast. We are open M-F 9:00am-5:00pm.

Also, regarding application of the corn cream, you may want to wash your hands BEFORE and after each time you apply the cream to prevent any unwanted particles from getting on/around the corn.

Have a great weekend!!!

Thank you Erica for posting this information so that our friends in other times zones know your hours and just love the information about washing your hands before and after application of the cream.

Now to hear the results.

Guest Fasave

:yay :yay :yay My cream arrived today. Of course my boy is not that thrilled with the process. Here he is "soaking" his feet. Wicked case of stink eye.

avecorn001.jpg?t=1269046397

Beryl, I wanted to tell you that I was over on AG and I'm sorry about the seeming less than warm reception you got there. Do you think that they just don't get corns till they are done racing or that they are just being missed? (Please, no one flame me, I don't think owners or trainers are bad in any way. As a matter of fact Tanks people were great) I'm just wondering if the corns show up "later" in life?

Beryl, I wanted to tell you that I was over on AG and I'm sorry about the seeming less than warm reception you got there. Do you think that they just don't get corns till they are done racing or that they are just being missed? (Please, no one flame me, I don't think owners or trainers are bad in any way. As a matter of fact Tanks people were great) I'm just wondering if the corns show up "later" in life?

Did you notice both of the idiots who did the downer on this cannot spell so maybe they are just idiots. At least there were a couple of positive replies and it is possible that the greys only get corns on retirement due to the change of their lifestyles. That is something I hope a vet would investigate. Remember when they retire they walk on different things than when they are racing. A lot of farms/kennel use sand in the turnout pens. So it could be a number of things. We cannot let two people who can't spell who might not even have a greyhound in their life get to us. There are other forums that this has been posted on that are very positive and they way I feel if by posting this information I am helping greyhounds get relief. I am going to go back over there and copy and paste some of Susan's information.

Houndless feel free to cross post over there at AG or any other forum anything that Susan has posted or any new information that I have posted. Remember sometimes these old timers (the duct tape guy is 80) do not want change.

A couple of flies in the ointment is not going to put me in a downward spiral. So far 8 out of 10 greyhounds have been helped (that was in a previous post) then that is 80% which to me is good**. So with more people getting involved and Susan is keeping records let us see what the percentage will be.

**80% is what physicians who use fluorscopic procedure have to get on their tests in some area hospitals. So to me 80% is good...

Edited by 6greyhounds

Hopefully, some of the people that are in the kennenls will chime in on the corns with the dogs at the tracks.

I don't believe it's a major thing with the track dogs. I have heard someone say that is because if they were there they are probably getting worn dowm because they run in the sand so much, unlike your adopted dogs that don't get that opportunity.

Does anyone have a pup that couldn't make the track, so less than 36 months old, that got corns at an age under 4, or are most of these dogs over 5 or 6?

I will be interested to see the percentage with a larger number of dogs being treated.

I think even a 60 or 70 percent cure rate would be great.

I can understand people being skeptical and having a wait and see attitude, but, one person that attacked you on AG had the cure for next to nothing and when I asked him to post it, well we are still waiting.

Dick

Thank you Dick I also asked that person what was the cure that he had. I decided not to hold my breath for his answer as I do think he was talking out of the area where he sits. I would love to hear from breeder/owners if this happens to greys that are in the racing kennels and or to people who have a grey that did not make it to the track or even an ooops grey.

Beryl

Houndless feel free to cross post over there at AG or any other forum anything that Susan has posted or any new information that I have posted. Remember sometimes these old timers (the duct tape guy is 80) do not want change.

A couple of flies in the ointment is not going to put me in a downward spiral. So far 8 out of 10 greyhounds have been helped (that was in a previous post) then that is 80% which to me is good**. So with more people getting involved and Susan is keeping records let us see what the percentage will be.

**80% is what physicians who use fluorscopic procedure have to get on their tests in some area hospitals. So to me 80% is good...

Wow!!! 80%, I'd call that pretty good results. I know it will take more time but for those dogs and owners that are able to get relief I'm sure it's worth every penny and taking the chance. Thankfully Tank hasn't shown any signs of corns but if he does I'll be sure to try Susans stuff.

It just kind of irriated me that you were trying to bring them some good info that might help even one dog and you got shot down like the enemy. Oh well, you'll never be able to change some minds but I thank you for bringing us any info that may help the pups today or in the future.

Wow!!! 80%, I'd call that pretty good results. I know it will take more time but for those dogs and owners that are able to get relief I'm sure it's worth every penny and taking the chance. Thankfully Tank hasn't shown any signs of corns but if he does I'll be sure to try Susans stuff.

It just kind of irriated me that you were trying to bring them some good info that might help even one dog and you got shot down like the enemy. Oh well, you'll never be able to change some minds but I thank you for bringing us any info that may help the pups today or in the future.

For every new treatment, invention there are skeptics and some who just like to nit pick or cause havoc. Susan is keeping records and hopefully all who have bought this cream will respond and let her know the results.

Our cream arrived yesterday and we've started treatment on Zeke. This medication is well timed as we noticed Fiona starting to limp and on checking have noticed what looks like a corn on the offending foot. Yikes - has anyone had two greyhounds with corns needing treatment? She's been with us six years and this is the first sign of a corn. Tonight we start treatment on hound #2 for corns.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Our cream arrived yesterday and we've started treatment on Zeke. This medication is well timed as we noticed Fiona starting to limp and on checking have noticed what looks like a corn on the offending foot. Yikes - has anyone had two greyhounds with corns needing treatment? She's been with us six years and this is the first sign of a corn. Tonight we start treatment on hound #2 for corns.

Good luck in treating both babies.

I have two corn dogs. I'm not sure when Cleo developed hers since she was 9 1/2 when I adopted her (She's a retired brood mom). Nadia's corn manifested when she was about 9. Nadia's corn definitely seems worse, or at least she is bothered more than Cleo.

I'm really anxious to see how the cream works out.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I have two corn dogs. I'm not sure when Cleo developed hers since she was 9 1/2 when I adopted her (She's a retired brood mom). Nadia's corn manifested when she was about 9. Nadia's corn definitely seems worse, or at least she is bothered more than Cleo.

There are quite a few people that are anxious to see how this works and a few skeptics too.

I meant to add... I have soaked Nadia's paw in the past using a paper towel in a plastic bag, but never thought of using the boot to hold it in place. That's a great idea. Thanks.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest LindsaySF

Hopefully, some of the people that are in the kennenls will chime in on the corns with the dogs at the tracks.

I don't believe it's a major thing with the track dogs. I have heard someone say that is because if they were there they are probably getting worn dowm because they run in the sand so much, unlike your adopted dogs that don't get that opportunity.

Does anyone have a pup that couldn't make the track, so less than 36 months old, that got corns at an age under 4, or are most of these dogs over 5 or 6?

I wonder this as well. Maybe someone could make a poll?

I don't have any corn dogs myself, but a few that I know of had long racing careers, got the corns after age 4-5, and 2 dogs got corns on the same leg that was broken and ended their career. For the broken leg dogs, I wonder if something about the way they are walking makes it more likely to get a corn? :dunno

Wishing you lots of luck and success with Nadia & Cleo. Let's hope the cream works quickly on all our corn dogs.smile.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Fasave

One theory I've heard is that the corn starts as a callous. I've jokingly said for years that my corn dog is just not built right. His back legs are as straight as a 2x4. Of the other four littermates of his I've known, none had corns so no genetic link. His first corn was front right which I hear is common. Then according to the woman who makes the Thera Paw, she said you often see another appear diagonally across front the first so in my guys case, back left. Sure enough that is where the next corn appeared. For some reason, I was able to get that one under control but now he has another one on his front left. It seems like when he gets a corn, he adjusts his gate and then another callous/corn appears.

I do think there is something to corns not appearing on the tracks and it may be due to age and the surface they walk on. My guy was 3.5 when I adopted him and we walked pavement walks a minimum of two times a day for years with super long walks on Sundays. He was probably around 5 when his first corn appeared. If they really start as a callous, it would take a while to become problematic.

We have now done three treatments. I have to say that it is a commitment to find time slots twice a day where you can monitor soaking and wrapped feet for 30-45 minutes. I've found after meals seems to be okay but tonight he came clomping into the kitchen with his soaking bootie wrapped feet. :lol :lol :lol