Breakthrough Treatment Of Corns

Would loved to see his picture clomping into the kitchen. I am anxious to hear results of these treatment and hope we hear from some owner/breeders to see if they have had problems with corns. I do believe that it is the lifestyle they now have of walking on different types of flooring, cement, etc than what they walked on in the kennels.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to add... I have soaked Nadia's paw in the past using a paper towel in a plastic bag, but never thought of using the boot to hold it in place. That's a great idea. Thanks.

Another Idea is to use the soaked papertowel the the bag then a infant (size 3month/6month size) sock around it all , then I use a hair band to hold it all on, I have had to use this method several times due to toe amps and it works great cause I didnt have a therapaw.

Hopefully, some of the people that are in the kennenls will chime in on the corns with the dogs at the tracks.

I don't believe it's a major thing with the track dogs. I have heard someone say that is because if they were there they are probably getting worn dowm because they run in the sand so much, unlike your adopted dogs that don't get that opportunity.

Does anyone have a pup that couldn't make the track, so less than 36 months old, that got corns at an age under 4, or are most of these dogs over 5 or 6?

I wonder this as well. Maybe someone could make a poll?

I don't have any corn dogs myself, but a few that I know of had long racing careers, got the corns after age 4-5, and 2 dogs got corns on the same leg that was broken and ended their career. For the broken leg dogs, I wonder if something about the way they are walking makes it more likely to get a corn? :dunno

Cassie did have a dislocated toe on the toe she got her corn on. Psi on the other hand has just developed one on each front paw. He never had an injury and was fine till he turned 9 1/2 (retired at 2)

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Does anyone have a pup that couldn't make the track, so less than 36 months old, that got corns at an age under 4, or are most of these dogs over 5 or 6?

re: poll

Susan is keeping records on all who have purchased the cream and has asked for results

I wish someone would start a poll here so we can see how many are using the cream and the results.

I meant to add... I have soaked Nadia's paw in the past using a paper towel in a plastic bag, but never thought of using the boot to hold it in place. That's a great idea. Thanks.

Another Idea is to use the soaked papertowel the the bag then a infant (size 3month/6month size) sock around it all , then I use a hair band to hold it all on, I have had to use this method several times due to toe amps and it works great cause I didnt have a therapaw.

Hopefully, some of the people that are in the kennenls will chime in on the corns with the dogs at the tracks.

I don't believe it's a major thing with the track dogs. I have heard someone say that is because if they were there they are probably getting worn dowm because they run in the sand so much, unlike your adopted dogs that don't get that opportunity.

I don't have any corn dogs myself, but a few that I know of had long racing careers, got the corns after age 4-5, and 2 dogs got corns on the same leg that was broken and ended their career. For the broken leg dogs, I wonder if something about the way they are walking makes it more likely to get a corn? :dunno

Cassie did have a dislocated toe on the toe she got her corn on. Psi on the other hand has just developed one on each front paw. He never had an injury and was fine till he turned 9 1/2 (retired at 2)

Dear Greyhound lovers,

I love reading these posts, because people have great ideas. I looked at Espsom Salts and typically these salts "draw out" fluid, puss, etc so I think this may be counterproductive to the "softening effect" we are trying to achieve. To that end I am recommending a soak in olive oil/water or hyaluronic acid (which holds 1000 fold its weight in water) and then covering the paw with a baggie and then the infant sock or bootie sounds good in place of the therapaw. The idea is occlusion both for soaking and then after applying the cream as well....

We are tracking results as part of an ongoing study we are conducting at the pharmacy. I am excited that so many people have contacted us, and we will keep everyone posted on the results.

I am copying and pasting our latest information sheet for everyone to see.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns please feel free to call my pharmacy at 1-888-799-4247.

• Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream

This drug information sheet is to be used as a guide to counsel patients on the use and side effects of this medication.

Medication:

Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream

Use:

Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream (a Murray Avenue Apothecary proprietary formula) - helps soften and heal the skin, promote removal of corns and calluses, and has anti-inflammatory/anti-pain properties, anti-viral, anti-fungal, and antiseptic properties.

How to take and store this medicated cream:

• Soak the foot/paw for 5-10 minutes in a bath of olive oil and water for about 10-15 minutes. If the owner does not wish to have the animal try to soak in a bath (hard to get the dog to stay I know) then soak a paper towel with the olive oil and water.

At this point a baggie or plastic wrap may be put on over the paw and a therapaw bootie on top. Or use Hyaluronic acid mask on the paw, cover with a baggie, and Therapaw for 15 minutes.( Hyaluronic acid holds 1000x its weight in water and is a better hydrator than Epsom salts which actually draws out fluid from the tissue.) The Hyaluronic acid products may be purchased through the apothecary upon request.

• The softer the pad the better the cream will work.

• Apply cream and massage in well-the cream will appear to be white when rubbed on the pad, keep rubbing until the cream is gone. Wrap the area with saran wrap or a baggie, use a bootie for at least 15 minutes following application to occlude area and allow the cream to be well absorbed.

• The cream may be applied into a hulled pad to soften the “hull” to help prevent re-growth of the corn. Sometimes the corn will fall out on its own. Please talk to your vet about pulling out a corn that seems ready to come out before doing this on your own.

• Optimal results are typically seen with twice a day applications.

• Resolution has been seen in as little as 10 days for mild cases, but may take up to 2 months or more for severe cases with repeated use.

• Cream may be used as a prevention, maintenance application varies but may be applied 1-5 times per week- observe animals walking pattern and response.

• Store the medicine at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.

- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.

• Side Effects:

This cream is non-toxic if used properly and the paw is occluded for 10-15 minutes after application.

To date, no side effects have been reported, but it is possible that the following mild reaction may occur: mild localized irritation to surrounding skin.

• Precautions:

- For topical use only.

- Avoid contact with eyes, lips, and mucous membranes.

- If you do get medicine in your eyes, rinse your eyes with water and call your doctor.

- Wash your hands with soap and water after using this medicine.

- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.

For more information, please feel free to call the Pharmacist/Owner Susan Merenstein or Intern Erica Trimble between the hours of 9a and 5p at 412-421-4996. Questions can also be sent by e-mail to Erica@MurrayAvenueRx.com or SusanM@MurrayAvenueRx.com

• NOTE: All greyhounds using the cream will be entered into our Greyhound/Callus Study. We appreciate feedback and results. Please report any information, results, or feedback to Erica@MurrayAvenueRx.com. We appreciate your support in this important endeavor.

Thank you Susan/Erica for monitoring this forum and editing all the information and of course including gh people ideas that they have used. I have also used newspaper sleeves especially for toe amputations and the baby/tot socks. You can usually get them fairly cheap at a thrift store. I am waiting anxiously to hear results

Edited by 6greyhounds

Guest Fasave

I'm just checking in to see if anyone is seeing any early results. I'm about five days in and have been very diligent about treatment. I THINK I am seeing them to start to surface. I did hull them before I started so there's less of a "center". I've also decided to not do any walks with him for the first week to not cause any undue friction on the area. I do have a large fenced in yard and it's been raining like crazy so he does get plenty of exercise on a soft muddy surface. Would love to hear if anyone is seeing anything yet. I know it's early but I'm just curious.

I'm just checking in to see if anyone is seeing any early results. I'm about five days in and have been very diligent about treatment. I THINK I am seeing them to start to surface. I did hull them before I started so there's less of a "center". I've also decided to not do any walks with him for the first week to not cause any undue friction on the area. I do have a large fenced in yard and it's been raining like crazy so he does get plenty of exercise on a soft muddy surface. Would love to hear if anyone is seeing anything yet. I know it's early but I'm just curious.

I do hope you are right

So great to hear that you are starting to see the corn surface! We are tracking all of our greyhounds in a study at our pharmacy, so all feedback is wanted and greatly appreciated! It is normal to start seeing results after a week, especially if the corn isn't severe or has been hulled. Please keep us updated on any changes and observations through phone or email.

Thanks!

With love for animals,

Erica Trimble, PharmD Intern

erica@murrayavenuerx.com

Murray Avenue Apothecary

A Compounding and Wellness Pharmacy

4227 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15217

412-421-4996

Today is day five for application of the cream to Zeke's corn and I noticed this morning that it is definitely starting to surface. This corn had been bothering him for weeks but not rising to a level that it could even be hulled. We also discontinued his walks during treatment and he has a very soggy back yard to walk around for exercise. I would say so far the results are very promising.

I am also treating Fiona for a corn. Her corn was much closer to the surface than Zeke's but it is almost ready to be hulled. I am sure the application of the cream has helped things along in her case as well.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Wow I'll be checking this out for Lizzie.... Poor thing has them in two paws!

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest SillyIzzysMom

I"m going to call tomorrow and order some of this for Zamm's weird toe thing. It is hard, like a corn, but doesn't have complete edges--on about 1/3 of it it seems to be still smoothly aligned with his pad and kind fade into the pad but the other part--up to the edge of his toe pad gets harder and sticks way up with what looks to be a definite circle around it. I don't know if it's a wacky corn or a callus or what, but Zamm sure limps and the best the vet can figure out it's that thing. We've x-rayd the poor boys foot, leg, hips back. . .sigh.

But my vet has never hulled a corn (he's researching them tonight he said) and I'm very reluctant to just let him have a go at Zamm's since it still seems too "attached" or maybe isn't even a corn. This looks much safer to try to see if it will do something. . .

I will be interested to see the percentage with a larger number of dogs being treated.

I think even a 60 or 70 percent cure rate would be great.

I can understand people being skeptical and having a wait and see attitude, but, one person that attacked you on AG had the cure for next to nothing and when I asked him to post it, well we are still waiting.

Dick

Lass had corns on both front feet when I adopted her. She was 8. She was a brood & never raced.

I had the vet hull them & one came back & it's Huge!

Here's what it looked like about a month ago. It looked like it was gonna pop right out! I tried hulling it but she would have nothing to do with it. As you can see, I cut the tip off & then I dremeled it down.

corn2.jpg

Guest boondog

I received the cream on the 19th and started applying it to Boon's foot that evening. So far I haven't seen much difference, but he's had this corn for years and it's pretty bad. I expect he'll take longer than average to respond.

Good afternoon greyhound lovers,

Along with your posts, we have been following up with those who got the corn cream, and so far we are very pleased with the successful results. Most have already begun noticing a difference in the corn after 5-7 days! But if you have not seen much of a change, don't be discouraged! It seems that the longer the dogs have had the corns and the more severe they are, the longer the treatment takes. So be patient and keep at it! We hope to hear from all of you regarding the progress of the treatment. We are attempting to track all of the dogs for the greyhound study we are doing here at the Apothecary. Best wishes and thanks for your continued support!!

As always, please don't hesitate to contact us with your concerns and questions.

Erica Trimble, PharmD Intern and Susan Merenstein, R.Ph./Owner

Murray Avenue Apothecary

4227 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15217

412-421-4996

erica@murrayavenuerx.com

www.murrayavenuerx.com

Along with your posts, we have been following up with those who got the corn cream, and so far we are very pleased with the successful results. Most have already begun noticing a difference in the corn after 5-7 days! But if you have not seen much of a change, don't be discouraged! It seems that the longer the dogs have had the corns and the more severe they are, the longer the treatment takes. So be patient and keep at it! We hope to hear from all of you regarding the progress of the treatment. We are attempting to track all of the dogs for the greyhound study we are doing here at the Apothecary. Best wishes and thanks for your continued support!!

As always, please don't hesitate to contact us with your concerns and questions.

Murray Avenue Apothecary

4227 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15217

412-421-4996

erica@murrayavenuerx.com

www.murrayavenuerx.com

Erica, My hound does not have corns, but she really tears up her pads racing around our yard. In your opinion, would this cream be beneficial to apply to lacerated pads to promote healing? And, how about to healthy pads to keep them that way? Thank you for your interest in keeping our hounds pain free.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Fasave

I received the cream on the 19th and started applying it to Boon's foot that evening. So far I haven't seen much difference, but he's had this corn for years and it's pretty bad. I expect he'll take longer than average to respond.

I'm sort of in the same place. I'm 10 days in and have been very diligent with the treatment. My guys corns are very old (years) and I did hull the center and dremel the edges before I started so maybe it just takes a while for the deep part to come out. I did take him on his first walk in a week yesterday on a dirt surface and he was able to do it without booties. This morning, however, the pavement walk was problematic. I'm determined to stay at it and hoping to report good news.

Murray Avenue Apothecary

4227 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15217

412-421-4996

erica@murrayavenuerx.com

www.murrayavenuerx.com

Erica, we have had wonderful results with the cream. Zeke's corn has come to the surface and continues to shrink. He seems to be much more comfortable walking than he was just a week ago. It shouldn't be too long before it either disappears or can be removed. Fiona's corn has almost disappeared and she is no longer limping. A week ago today she had a physical and the vet confirmed she had a corn. We treated her foot as well as Zeke's with the cream and it continues to just shrink and clearly doesn't bother her anymore.

We are extremely pleased with our experience and can't believe how quickly these two corns responded. Last year it took four months for Zeke's corn problem to be resolved. Thank you for creating this product.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Fasave

I have a question for people using this treatment. I'm just shy of two weeks with my guy. He has corns on two feet. On of the corns is 4-5 years old. I keep watching to see if they are "popping out" which they appeared to be at first. I hulled and dremeled before I started. Now they just feel softer. Are they suppose to pop out and be removed or by hulling them first, did I jump start the process and now they are just in a healing phase. In any event, softer is better. I'm still determined to stay at for a while. Thoughts?

Guest Luvgreys

Clark has had corns for 2+ years now. At one point he had corns on both rear paws and on his left front paw. We have had the corns hulled by the vet and we have used Kerasolv to try to soften them and some misc other treatments that have been suggested. Finally about two months ago the corns on the rear paws were very prominent and my husband was able to get them out better than before and so far they have not grown back, yay :colgate The one on his front paw has been more of a problem. So, we ordered the corn cream and started using it last Thursday. It does appear like the corn is coming out more and Clark seems to be much less bothered by us touching it now. So far this is looking very promising!!

Guest DeesBoys

HI ALL....IJUST JOINED SO I HOPE I AM DOING WHAT I AM SUPPOSE TO DO TO RECEIVE INFORMATION ABOUT THOSE DARN CORNS. MY OLDEST GREY GOT ONE ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING EVERYTHING FROM DUCT TAPE, BURTS BEE SALVE, BAG BALM AND MAKING A MAKESHIFT BOOTIE WITH PADDING JUST SO WE CAN WALK HIM. HE LOVES GOING FOR HIS WALKS WITH HIS BROTHER, SO THIS HAS BEEN HELPING. I WILL NOT HAVE SURGERY DONE ON HIM. I HAVE ALSO DECIDED TO GET HIM THE THERAPAW BOOT. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYWHERE TO GET THEM BESIDES ON-LINE? THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE. I READ THE INFO ON THE CREAM AND WAS INTERESTED BUT WAS WONDERING IF IT YOU COULD GET IT IN A SMALLER DOSE TO TRY IT FOR LESS AMOUNT OF MONEY....THAT WOULD REALLY HELP US OUT....

HI ALL....IJUST JOINED SO I HOPE I AM DOING WHAT I AM SUPPOSE TO DO TO RECEIVE INFORMATION ABOUT THOSE DARN CORNS. MY OLDEST GREY GOT ONE ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING EVERYTHING FROM DUCT TAPE, BURTS BEE SALVE, BAG BALM AND MAKING A MAKESHIFT BOOTIE WITH PADDING JUST SO WE CAN WALK HIM. HE LOVES GOING FOR HIS WALKS WITH HIS BROTHER, SO THIS HAS BEEN HELPING. I WILL NOT HAVE SURGERY DONE ON HIM. I HAVE ALSO DECIDED TO GET HIM THE THERAPAW BOOT. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYWHERE TO GET THEM BESIDES ON-LINE? THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE. I READ THE INFO ON THE CREAM AND WAS INTERESTED BUT WAS WONDERING IF IT YOU COULD GET IT IN A SMALLER DOSE TO TRY IT FOR LESS AMOUNT OF MONEY....THAT WOULD REALLY HELP US OUT....

contact the pharmacy and talk to Susan - she is a very caring person.