Dentals Are Routine, Right?

nothing to worry about, yes? just routine, done all the time, right?

someone hold my hand, please (virtually lol.gif ) Fletcher has an absessed tooth that has to come out. It's scheduled for next Friday. He has not had a dental, or been under for any reason, since he was tutored at 18 months (he failed racing school blush.gif ) He will be 8 in March, and he is my baby.

I am sure he will be fine, my vet took both lower canines out of Sugar when she was 10, and she was fine, but I can't help but worry. I know this is minor compared to what most people in H&M are going through, I feel a little guilty for even posting.

We will be with you in spirit!

He'll do great mom, try not to worry. I know, easier said then done.

And it may be minor, but when we love them as much as we do, we worry, and we all worry

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest mcsheltie

When it involves someone you love, nothing is minor! I'll hold your hand if you'll hold mine. I have two going in for dentals on Monday. One is ten and it is his first (incredibly good teeth) the other is six (she looks like she has moss growing in her mouth despite yearly dentals)

Guest Energy11

Nope! Don't feel "guilty" about posting a concern about one of your babies! WE all feel the same! Good Luck with the dental. I am sure it will be fine.

Yes, he will be perfectly fine. Polli had 4 in 2 years at the age from 8-10.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My Jacey's getting a dental on Wednesday, so we'll all just worry together.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My Jacey's getting a dental on Wednesday, so we'll all just worry together.

Everyone will be fine. Phene's dental is Thursday so a few of us can worry together.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Awww, I'm sure he will be fine. I've never had to get a dental on any of my own, but when I worked for a vet I saw them every day. Quick and easy!! But it's natural to worry. I would too- and as usual for me, it would have been for nothing! :) You would have much more cause to worry if you left a bad tooth in his mouth.

Leah had four pulled at age 7 and was fine. A friend just had her 7 year old broodie to a canine dentist and she came home with only four teeth and is doing fine. Her teeth were SO bad.

Will hold your hand virtually :)

Samlur had his dental on Thur. One broken tooth was bad and had to be pulled. It was a lower canine. He did well, but was drowsier than my other dogs who had dentals. He is doing fine. I did not eat the whole day and jumped everytime the stupid phone rang. His only issue seems to be his poo is like pudding. I am sure because of the antibiotics and pain med. Wish I had canned pumpkin. Yougurt does not seem to help. Its nice to know so many of us care about our loved ones.

Samlur had his dental on Thur. One broken tooth was bad and had to be pulled. It was a lower canine. He did well, but was drowsier than my other dogs who had dentals. He is doing fine. I did not eat the whole day and jumped everytime the stupid phone rang. His only issue seems to be his poo is like pudding. I am sure because of the antibiotics and pain med. Wish I had canned pumpkin. Yougurt does not seem to help. Its nice to know so many of us care about our loved ones.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Dentals are very common and most often done on older dogs but As his mom it is your job to worry so all we can do is worry with you. Last time JB had his dental I asked them to call me as soon as he was awake just so I would know. Everything went just fine and he will be back for another soon. His 10th birthday is tomorrow. :)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

He will be fine! Spencer is going in for a dental on Friday as well. I always worry about him because he's not in the best of health.

nothing to worry about, yes? just routine, done all the time, right?

someone hold my hand, please (virtually lol.gif ) Fletcher has an absessed tooth that has to come out. It's scheduled for next Friday. He has not had a dental, or been under for any reason, since he was tutored at 18 months (he failed racing school blush.gif ) He will be 8 in March, and he is my baby.

I am sure he will be fine, my vet took both lower canines out of Sugar when she was 10, and she was fine, but I can't help but worry. I know this is minor compared to what most people in H&M are going through, I feel a little guilty for even posting.

I completely understand your anxiety! Princess (will be 7 in April) is scheduled for Wednesday and is going to lose some teeth. It's been a constant struggle since she arrived 3 years ago and I've lost the battle -- now she's going to lose some teeth. I know I've been extremely lucky having had greyhounds since 1994 and she's the first to ever lose a tooth, but I'm feeling pretty anxious about it.

Let's all join hands and support each other through this. I'm sending out positive thoughts for all of them and us -- for safe, uneventful procedures and quick recoveries!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

He'll be fine, no problem hand holding here-I used to be so nervous I sat in the vet's office until the dental was over and he was safely out from anethesia. I've calmed down a bit after 7 years, but this is your first time.

If you're nervous, can afford it, and haven't already, I second the recommendation for bloodwork--I do it every time.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest budsmom

I know exactly how you feel. When mine had their dentals last year, it was the very first time I had ever left them anywhere, and I was one psycho greyhound mommy! They both came through fine and I know that everyone getting their dentals this week will be just fine, too smile.gif

Lucy used to have to have a dental every 3 months, so I understand and it is perfetly normal to be worried. Your boy will feel so much better after that yucky tooth comes out, but most likey will be sore and swollen right after. It isn't uncommon for there to be some icky drool for a couple of days too, (which I am sure you know but in case you don't...) but Fletcher will be back to himself in no time and grateful that his mouth feels better.

He's you baby, and it's O.K. to worry, :nod I'm sure all will go well, :thumbs-up I think I'm the biggest worrier here, worked in a human O.R. for years, when my boy had his dental, I worried, all day, called the vet's office 3 times, and everything was fine, :rolleyes: I think I needed the anesthesia :lol

Guest grey_dreams

Wishing all the pups having dentals very easy procedures and rapid recoveries. Wishing all their moms an easy wait until their babies are home safe again.

Out of curiosity, which vet are you using?

Dr Alicia Ruiz is my vet. She is very greyhound savvy. My first grey came to me with both bottom canines very worn down, and after a couple of years they started to bother her, and Dr Ruiz took both teeth out. Sugar was fine, no complications at all.

Fletcher had his blood work, everything is fine. I think the worst part from his perspective will be going all day without food :lol

Healing thoughts to everyone having dentals this week!

If you're worried about him at the vet without you, I send Patrick's favorite blanket and toy (whether to give the toy is of course up to the vet and whether she thinks he will get overly excited.) You're right, the worst part from their perspective I think is missing breakfast. Make sure to give small amounts of food and small amounts of water for the first couple hours. Otherwise they'll snarf down too much all at once and get sick.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

My vet has to drive more than 40 miles from home to work, so on his surgery/dental days, he likes to come in at 5 am to beat the Atlanta traffic. What he really likes is to have some of his surgery/dental dogs all ready to go at that ungodly hour, so he likes to have some dogs come in the night before. Thus, Jacey will get a nice, fat supper here, and I'll take her to the vet's office tonight between 6 and 7. They'll fast her overnight (she can be pissed at them instead of me), and they'll start on her bright and early tomorrow. (Meanwhile, Sam will be home with me, which means I'll still have a greyhound in my bed tonight...which means I'll be able to sleep. I don't sleep when I'm dog-less.)

I work from 7 to 3:30 tomorrow, and I should be able to pick her up on my way home from work. With luck, she'll be wide awake and perky and ready-to-go.

Jacey just had her annual wellness exam last week, and the vet did a "Senior Wellness Panel," which is what he likes to do for pre-anesthesia bloodwork. Jacey's not quite seven, but the Senior panel also covered her annual heartworm test and thyroid check. The bill for the SWP was $89 (in case we all want to compare prices). My vet's office quoted a starting price of $150 for the dental itself, but that may increase if she needs any extractions or antibiotics after-the-fact. (But February is "Dental Month" at my vet's office, and I've got a $20-off coupon.)

This vet has done the dentals on all my dogs. I have--after nearly 4 years--gotten over the absolute panic I have over anesthesia for my dogs. I lost a dog to a pulmonary embolism during surgery--but it was major orthopedic surgery, with incisions and hardware and stuff--not a dental. And after one of Sam's dentals, I got a call that started, "Sam's okay now, but..." That's not a call you want, but he really was okay, and now we know he doesn't tolerate ketamine well. He's had two dentals since, without ketamine, and been fine. And his teeth are okay this time, so it's just Jacey going to the vet--and she's never had any problems. Anyway, after a scare with Sam and then losing Oreo to a freak event, when I had to have dentals on Sam and Jacey, I was a basket case. I took the dogs to the vet, then went home and cried. For hours.

Sam and Jacey were fine when I got them back. Sam was rarin' to go. Jacey wasn't as awake as she pretended to be. After we got home, I went to the kitchen for something. When I turned around, she was standing behind me, swaying back and forth, but determined to keep tabs (as usual) on my kitchen activity. What I usually do after the dental is give a small amount of water and a quarter-cup of kibble in the first six hours or so; repeat that just before bedtime (if there hasn't been a problem), and then back to normal feedings the next day.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I've had Jacey nearly 4 years. I've had Sam about 7.5 years. In all that time, neither dog has ever spent the night away from me.

This may explain why I'm feeling so unsettled: Jacey is at the vet for tomorrow's dental, and Sam is looking at me as if I took her someplace and "lost" her.

I just keep telling myself Jacey's gone to an overnight slumber party. :blink:

I've had Jacey nearly 4 years. I've had Sam about 7.5 years. In all that time, neither dog has ever spent the night away from me.

This may explain why I'm feeling so unsettled: Jacey is at the vet for tomorrow's dental, and Sam is looking at me as if I took her someplace and "lost" her.

I just keep telling myself Jacey's gone to an overnight slumber party. :blink:

:grouphug I can so identify! I took my girl, Princess, in early this morning for a dental with extractions. I knew I'd be useless at work today, so I took a PTO day. I'm here with the other two hounds but the house is so empty without her. She is definitely the pulse of this household. Dentals have always made me anxious because of the anesthesia, of course, but I've never had a dog have to have any teeth pulled. :(

I'm sending all manners of prayers, white light, healing thoughts, etc. for your Jacey right along with the ones for my Princess.

All will be right with our world when they are both safe at home with us this evening.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown