Baytril

Daisy has been "straining" to pee for a couple days and then some blood showed up. Off to the evet we went. She was going to put her on Amoxicillan, but I explained that it upsets her tummy. She suggested Baytril and told me of the cost. I told her no problem and went ahead with the Baytril. My question is, she only gave her enough for 7 days. It was late at night and I wasn't thinking. Should she be on Baytril longer than 7 days?? What's everyone's opinion?

I think Loca was on it for more than seven days, but I'm not sure. I do remember that it is very strong and that I was giving Loca probiotics (or was it prebiotics) to try to replace some of the good bacteria in her system since Baytril is so strong.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Forgot to add, they tried to get a specimen by putting a needle in her bladder, but her bladder was empty!

Misty has had to have that done so many times, but usually they will feel for urine before they would stick her.

Mine have been on Baytril many times but never less than 10-14 days.

Lets hope this clears up quickly

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Baytril is a very good, strong AND expensive antibiotic. Goldie was on it for ten days about four years ago, BUT, she had a VERY bad kidney infection, which caused acute kidney failure. I think seven days will be fine. I'd wait a few days AFTER she finishes the Baytril, and then, take another sample in, JUST to be sure. Good Luck with all of this!

Forgot to add, they tried to get a specimen by putting a needle in her bladder, but her bladder was empty!

Misty has had to have that done so many times, but usually they will feel for urine before they would stick her.

Mine have been on Baytril many times but never less than 10-14 days.

Lets hope this clears up quickly

I'm pretty sure that Loca was always on it for at least 14 days but she had chronic UTIs.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Has she presented wtih these symptoms before and been positive for a UTI? Those symptoms could also be indicative of crystals so I'm a little surprised your vet would just give the AB without running a urinalysis. If she couldn't get anythign from her there, you could have dropped off a sample the following morning. :dunno

I also find it a tad odd that she went straight to the Baytril. Baytril is a strong AB and is known for causing an upset stomach. Having said that, I don't know if 7 days is a long enough course.

FYI, you can give a pepcid AC, then 20-30 minutes later give the AB with food and that should help with the upset stomach.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest mcsheltie

Often crystals form as a result of UTI. The initial treatment is the same, an antibiotic. We have used Baytril countless times for a UTI. Normally it has been dispensed for 10 days. Boomer had a bad bout with a UTI and he was on Baytril for 30 days.

If they are having a bad time of it, I request Baytril right away. I've had too many reoccur on Clavamox. And I prefer Clavamox over Amoxi, it covers a broader spectrum.

Everyone's experience is different. I have had Amoxi and Clavamox cause way more stomach upset and diarrhea over the years than Baytril.

I would just keep an eye on her after the AB runs out. If the symptoms reoccur, take her back in. But odds are she will be fine in a week.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

You can buy it for fairly cheap online with an Rx. Just a FYI. I did some digging. I could get a seven day supply for I think $27 plus shipping. That is half what my vet charges for it.

Amoxi can be had for just a few dollars off label for fish (same pills), but as mentioned above, it's not always as effective as Clavamox or Baytril. But, it's worked in combo with cranberry pills on the few dogs I have had with a UTI.

If she doesn't have a history of long, hard-to-cure UTIs, 7 days is probably sufficient. BUT if symptoms haven't completely cleared by @ day 4, might call in to your vet about extending for a couple days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You can buy it for fairly cheap online with an Rx. Just a FYI. I did some digging. I could get a seven day supply for I think $27 plus shipping. That is half what my vet charges for it.

Amoxi can be had for just a few dollars off label for fish (same pills), but as mentioned above, it's not always as effective as Clavamox or Baytril. But, it's worked in combo with cranberry pills on the few dogs I have had with a UTI.

can you tell me how long it takes to receive the baytril when you order it online?

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

You can have it shipped overnight, I would think. I'm trying to find a non-rx source (IE, labeled for livestock or avian or aquatic use) so that it could simply be kept on hand.