Sick Foster

Guest zombrie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zombrie

Just an update:

This morning Ace seemed more alert, calmer, peaceful. Right now, he's still seems peaceful, but completely out of it. Exhaustion maybe?

He will not eat anything. We bought bison and offered it to him - he turned his head away. To be honest, I don't know when his last meal was. A friend suggested we give him baby food. Should we try that? If he still refuses should I force feed? He's literally starving to death. On greyhound-data it says his racing weight is 77...when we weighed him today he weighed 58

Guest Energy11

Yes, DO try baby food. A lot of folks on here say it works. ME? I'd force feed, maybe make a nutritiouis watery mush, or use Vanilla Ensure, and a turkey baster or those syringe type things you use to give kids their meds, and give him many SMALL meals, many times a day.

Sending hope and prayers.

Hang on Ace. Be a good boy and let your momma give you something that will put a little nutrition in your tummy.

When our friends came for a visit, their 17 year old poodle had quit eating. Between boiled rice and tuna in water (dont strain out the water, just add a little straight from the can) and making it a little warm in the micro, started that pup back to eating. Good luck, and you are a good mom for trying everything for this boy!

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

Guest MyBoys

I have a friend who adopted an 11 year old boy who would not eat and in very poor condition, the only thing this boy would eat was milk bones, maybe if you tried treats he might try one. At this point whatever you can get him to eat will be good, baby food does sound like a good idea. Another thing you might try is chicken liver, you can mush it up after it's cooked, it is really smelly so maybe that will get his attention.

Are you still checking for dehydration? With all his other problems, if he's still dehydrated, that's not helping anything and he will need more fluids immediately. Pepcid first thing in the AM and many small meals of anything,(and I mean ANYTHING) that you can get him to eat is better than not eating at all at this point. Sending powerful prayers for Ace. Hang in there, buddy! We're all pulling for you! Keep us posted, please!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest zombrie

Thanks for all the advice!

Last night I force fed a couple squirts of baby food in a syringe, then he got up by ate the bison I had cooked earlier all by himself! I do this every hour and a half (very small amounts) and he's showing improvement. His breathing is pretty normal and his heart rate has gone down a bit (his heart rate has been over 200 a minute the past two days). I also gave him IV fluids this morning - the vet told me to do it for the next 3 days.

I'll definitely try Ensure, I didn't think of that.

He's starting to perk up a bit, he's moving his ears and eyes around, listening and watching everything that's going on. He is such a good boy. For as weak as he is, he'll still let out a little bark to tell me he needs to go out if I don't hear him get up

Small steps, but it's a lot of improvement

Edited by zombrie

Guest MyBoys

That is good news, sometimes forcing them to eat is enough to get them going on their own,please keeps us posted and give that sweet boy kisses from me and my boys. It just breaks my heart knowing he was so neglected, SHAME ON THOSE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! :angryfire You are his angel :angel

Guest zombrie

Last night, Ace took a turn for the worse. He started throwing up and everything he had eaten came out with it. He ate three TINY meals today, and he threw up the first meal, so far the other two meals have stayed down. Gave him IV fluids this morning, he perked up a bit. It looks like there is blood in his urine. This is so discouraging, yesterday my hopes were so high. At the moment I'm waiting for the vet to call back.

I was so hoping he'd be doing better today. Good healing thoughts and prayers for this special boy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Assume he's had x-ray to make sure there's no blockage?

Sending lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It sounds as tho Ace *wants* to eat but forwhatever rason he is not able to and now has become discouraged. Can the vet see him??

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest zombrie

We had a discussion between the vet and the director of my kennel. This is so hard, but we've decided it would be in his best interest to just let him go. The vet is suspicious that Ace has stomach cancer (couldn't see through the x-ray, the layers in his stomach is too thick) and his body is just shutting down. He is in so much pain and he is just suffering.

This is not how I pictured all of this coming out. When I took him home sunday night he was just such a love. I thought I could just get him the right food, get some meat on him and find him a loving home so he can enjoy the rest of his life. He is such a good, sweet boy and I'm really going to miss him so much. :weep

I am so so sorry for you and Ace. Thank you for doing everything that you could for this boy. Hugs to you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest MyBoys

Oh I am so very sorry for you and Ace, like I said before you are his angel. Thank you for taking care of this sweet boy, you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Run free and fast Ace.

So soory to hear this, you did everything you could, my prayers are w/you :(

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest brandi007

How heart breaking, just be glad that he didn't pass in his previous horrible place and will go surrounded by people who love and care about him, it's the best gift you could of possibly given him.... :grouphug