A Bump Near The Wrist

inugrey

I've already been calmed a bit. Now I'm polling for experiences or ideas. On Christmas night I noticed a knot below Inu's dew claw that I had not seen before. It is hard, doesn't move and he could care less when I touch it. He doesn't limp or anything like that either. Has anyone ever had osteo diagnosed without the limp first? I'm just trying to figure out what this could be tonight so maybe I can sleep without the "what ifs" until I can get in to see a vet and get an xray.

It's his right foot.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Edited by inugrey

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest Energy11

I have only had one grey with Oseto ... so far. He presented with a limp, and never had any swelling. In your case, it is very hard to say, without an x-ray. Could be anything, and I HONESTLY wouldn't worry until you have to, IF you have to. Try to relax, and get the "what ifs,..." out of your mind :-)) Hugs to you!

I didn't realize it was below the dew claw. In that case, I can't see it AT ALL. But, if you are sure it wasn't there before, it makes sense to take him in on Monday. Still, I wouldn't worry (I say, knowing full well I would be a mess, but I'm a hypochondriac for my dogs :P ).

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest 3greysinPA

Could it be calcification from an old injury, like an old break in the bone or a fracture.

Was it always there? or did you just notice it pop out?

Guest Greensleeves

I'm with NeylasMom: I don't see what you're looking at.

Have you had much experience with different sorts of bumps? I've had two dogs turn up with hard, non-moving cysts on their ankles; it turned out in both cases to be inflamed hair follicles. Nelly had hers surgically removed, and Jenny had hers aspirated and then, um, squeezed by the vet until all the fluid emptied out.

Colleen, I too didn't know it was below the dew claw! I don't see anything at all :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I don't see what you are referring to either. Hope it's nothing.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How do they determine it's calcification? Good to hear other experiences with that. It has helped that he's perfectly happy and doesn't seem to be in pain near the area.

I'm pretty sure I've never noticed it before and I often look at his legs/feet. He's got all sorts of issues with his feet (in fact that's why I noticed it on Christmas, soaking a blister) and I am the only one who does his nails.

Yeah I think it's pretty hard to see unless you kind of already know it's there.

eta: I just realized the bump is ABOVE his dew claw not below :lol excuse me while I head over to Sesame Street to spend some time with Grover going over near/far etc.

Edited by inugrey

Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Colleen, I see it, but I don't have any advice. I will say though that if it were a bone tumor, it would likely be very painful.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

It could be a couple of things. Get your vet to do a fine needle aspiration. Praying that it's nothing serious.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

We have an appointment Wed. evening. Since he's not in pain I'm not rushing to the first available. I have pretty high hopes that it's nothing serious. This year hasn't been the best medically for Inu so I hope by getting it in at the close of 2009 he will be free and clear to have a vet free 2010.

I go to Dr. Collins at Ballston Animal Hospital. He wasn't necessarily grey savvy before we started going but he's willing to listen to me and take the time to figure things out. He's pretty grey savvy now thanks to my bean. :rolleyes:

Just a quick update for all who read this. The vet and I are both comfortable that it is not osteo. Dr. C said it makes sense that I needed his confirmation given Inu's breed and age. We both decided against a needle aspirate because the bump is VERY hard and would be painful.

Something I didn't share with GT is that we went through a thyroid cancer scare earlier this year. Dr. Collins was the one who identified the questionable cells that time so I trust him to stick a needle in Inu when he feels it is necessary.

Whew, good outcome on this. Happy and healthy 2010

Guest sja5032

It definitely looks like a calcification, and if you look up his race lines he was off for a period between October and January suggesting that he was injured.

Guest elisemg

My girl looks like she has a marble under her skin in just about the same area. Does not bother her at all. Had it x-rayed and the dr. said it is a boney groth. She has had it for over a year. Very hard doesn't move, just seems to be part of her.