Toe Nail Cutting

Toe nail cutting....  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What type of toe nail cutting tool do you use on your hounds?

• Nail clippers (scissor style)
    • Nail clippers (guillotine nail trimmer style)
    • Dremel
    • None...leave it to the pros!
    • Other: Please explain

After spending 10 bucks at Petsmart to get Chance's toe nails cut (btw....she barely cut them mad.gif ) I have decided to do it myself. He's VERY comfortable with me poking, proding, petting excessively colgate.gif, and I really think he'd be fine with me doing it myself.

I'm wondering what every one uses and moreover, prefers! I've read some threads on dremel bit types...ways to make your hound "allow" you to even cut them. I'm not looking for advice on that....I'm asking those of you who do it at home to help me decide which type of tool to go with.

I DO NOT want to cut the quick!!! eek.gif

(I just bought the guillotine style for $15 and I'm thinking maybe an investment in a dremel may be worth it....still debating...so you will decide FOR ME smile.gif )

Guest RocketDog

I prefer to use a dremel, you can get the nails shorter and smoother than you can with clippers and it's much harder to quick them. All it takes is a few minutes per dog per week to maintain the nails once you've gotten them to the length you want them, so to me it's not too bad time-wise.

When I use clippers during new-retiree haul 'spa days' they are heavy duty scissors-type clippers.

We use the dremel on our pups, well with the exception of Sammie who totally freaks out. He's not fond of the clippers either but will tolerate them but the dremel puts him into outer space.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Dremel. Go with the more powerful ones. The battery powered take way too long and are more expensive than the corded. I like this one:

http://www.amazon.co...61606927&sr=1-2

I was suaded not to use a "powerful" one from another thread on bit size....b/c they get too hot. Do you have this model? If so, I'll concede and get that! :)

Thx!

Guest IHeartDogs

Dremel. Go with the more powerful ones. The battery powered take way too long and are more expensive than the corded. I like this one:

http://www.amazon.co...61606927&sr=1-2

I was suaded not to use a "powerful" one from another thread on bit size....b/c they get too hot. Do you have this model? If so, I'll concede and get that! :)

Thx!

It doesn't matter which dremel you use because the biggest thing is to keep the dremel on the nail for only 2-3 seconds tops and keep switching. Imo, using a weaker one that takes longer would heat the nail more and the hounds get impatient. This one has three speeds so if you wanted to go as slow as a battery powered one you can. I also dislike running out of battery power halfway through with my old dremel.

I use a Dremel on Heidi. I have the corded version (link). I like the adjustable 10 speeds and only do a nail for a few seconds at a time. I just keep going around the foot until I get them all to where I want them. I tend to use clippers for her dew claws (like these). She doesn't care for the dremel on those.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Guest eaglflyt

I have a cordless dremmel. Holds a charge for several trimmings. No problems with speed, either, but Irene isn't fussy. She helps me out by roaching. Maybe I don't know what fast is...

Ditto!

We have a cordless with plenty of power, no need to deal with a cord or electrical socket, and not expensive at all. We have a Dremel brand cordless and it holds plenty of charge for me to do all *SIX* of our dogs without losing power. Yes, never hold the dremel to the nail for longer than 3 seconds, but also remember more speed = much more heat more quickly. I don't know what type of cordless the other poster felt was too slow, but it's certainly not the Dremel cordless that we have. ;)

Good Luck!

Edited by eaglflyt

I highly recommend reading this before venturing into dremel-land: http://homepages.uda...mel/dremel.html

I've been working on Aston's feets since we got him almost five months ago, and they're just now alllmost where I want them smile.gif

This is TERRIFIC! Thank you!! bow.gif I think it's a no-brainer to go with the dremmel...for both of our sake.

I use the dremel and both types of clippers.

Because we don't live in the city my dogs only walk on grass or dirt so trimming nails is almost a weekly occurrence. I clip because its fastest and then smooth the rough edges with a dremel. I only use the scissor type clippers if the nails are really long - prefer the guillotine ones. And i always have some Quik Stop on hand.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

2 out of my 3 are afraid of the noise the dremel makes. So I have to use scissor type clippers on them. Then I use a file to smooth the nails (as a concession to my leather couch).

I tried to get the dogs to accept the dremel by letting it run (without a bit) on the floor in the great room. I ran it every day (until the battery ran down) for 2 weeks. Two of the dogs wouldn't even venture into the room while it was running. I finally gave up. These two are also afraid of the vacuum or anything else that makes "motor" kind of noises.

We use the scissor style cutters and then dremel the edges to get a closer trim and smooth the edges.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

If you decide to use clippers I would go with scissors style.

I am surprised by this and bought the guillotine style....ONLY b/c I thought the "pros" use the guillotine style. I couldn't figure out which would be more comfortable for Chance. My thought process was if I just didn't nick the quick, I'd be fine. Doesn't matter...I'm gettin' the dremel! :)

Guest GryffinSong

I reluctantly voted "dremel." Why reluctantly? Because my grinder is a Black & Decker! ;) It's an electric (plugs into the wall, not battery), is quieter than the Dremel brand, and has more variable speeds.

All my dogs prefer the grinder to any kind of clippers, although if I'm not able to grind, they prefer the guillotine clippers to the scissors type.

Edited by GryffinSong

I reluctantly voted "dremel." Why reluctantly? Because my grinder is a Black & Decker! wink.gif

No winking needed! IHeartDogs actually recommended a Black and Decker and I will probably go with one like that. I don't think I need to spend 100 bucks on the Dremel brand and all it's trinkets and attachments. I'm only using it for Chance's nails, so simplicity is key.

We leave it to the pros! Beau has to be done by the vet.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mountain4greys

We have a dremel, but with 6 hounds that don't always cooperate, it's to time consuming. We use the scissor type clippers. (DW was a dog groomer for 23 years and also worked for a vet.)

One of our boys goes to the pet store to have his done.

Edited by mountain4greys

Guest Luvagrey

We have used a Pedi-Paws for at least the last year. We have tried everything out there on our grey over the last 5 years; after being bloodied a number of times with nail clippers (even at the vet's office), we switched over and while being groomed, Cher just lays there while hubby does her nails. In the beginning we just kind of stroked the back of her paw with the plastic guard of the Pedi-Paws so she would get used to the sound and vibration. The key is to do a tiny little bit each week and do it regularly and consistently. Her nails look better than ever, and better than most other greys we see around here.

Edited by Luvagrey