Toe Nail Cutting

Toe nail cutting....  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What type of toe nail cutting tool do you use on your hounds?

• Nail clippers (scissor style)
    • Nail clippers (guillotine nail trimmer style)
    • Dremel
    • None...leave it to the pros!
    • Other: Please explain

Guest TexasGreytMom

Our girl Dora has gotten really spooked by noises that she can't identify, and the clicking sound of clippers sends her into orbit. I can't imagine that she would remain in the same room with us if we fired up a Dremel. LOL! We've resorted to having them clipped at our vet's office when we take them in for bathing.

Dremel here, and actually, you want MORE power (mine is the cordless kind with the lithium ion battery...I bought it about 4 or 5 years ago so I'm sure there are newer models out now)....I use mine on the 8-10 setting...the 10 speed is about 35,000 rpm. Just touch to the nail for a few seconds at a time and use the large sanding drum. I do all 5 of mine here. I have a couple of tough customers, but if grandma stops over I have her sit with them and pet and talk to them while I work. :)

Good luck! :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Our girl Dora has gotten really spooked by noises that she can't identify, and the clicking sound of clippers sends her into orbit. I can't imagine that she would remain in the same room with us if we fired up a Dremel. LOL! We've resorted to having them clipped at our vet's office when we take them in for bathing.

Ah, you might be surprised. My spooky one and our late Complete Nail Freak quickly got used to the sound of the dremel. Started by just turning it on and leaving it on the floor.

I have two cordless dremels and a pair of Millers Forge clippers (scissor type). MUCH prefer the cordless -- go anywhere, any time, no matter what position the dog is in. I use the clippers for things like split nails, etc. Using the sanding drums, I've never found that they get hot, not even with my fancier high-speed dremel.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FrostyBottoms

I use the guillotine clipper and then i use the Pedi Paw dremel right after to smoothe the nails. I have cut the quick and used the stop bleed and it's not a big deal (unless you get it really bad...then it's hard to stop)

Guest fatesrelease

I cut Sarahs nails all the time. I took her to petco to do them once when I was too nervous and also had the adoption group do them once when I was visiting but now I can do it all by myself! You just have to be brave! I was so scared but now it is so easy!

Guest sorenkkg

we dremel, and I think ours only has 1 speed :P but it gets the job done. Sanding drum, not too long, though the groomer demo'd it once for me, and her technique (she had the dog up on the table, so she took the paw under her arm... hard to do w/out the table) is to get in there and buzz the nail right down, almost all at once, one shot. Then come back and round it out.

Back at home, we get the pup on the couch (Aleeya will come on her own, Haka has to be air-lifted in) and then DH holds the paw to help minimize vibration and moving around.

I sit on the floor and wear a gardening glove on the hand that holds the nail (pushes the nail out and also reduces vibration). I try to follow the doberdawn site, and kind of wind up doing my own thing.

Love the white nails so that I can go almost all the way to the quick.

We do it about 1x a month, and give lots of treats. Seems to be working pretty well!

Good luck!

Just a drive by FYI, cornstarch works great as a stiptik.

Ooooh...nice!

I cut his nails with the scissor style today (returned the guillotine ones) and he was F I N E!! woot woot!! tongue.gif Tomorrow I will try the Dremel I picked up at Walmart for $20 (5,000-10,000 rpms) <---- I'm hoping that's strong enough. I'll give lots of treats...only MAYBE one paw...depending how it goes. Like I said, Chance is very understanding, but i dont want to push any buttons on this one.

I'm sooo happy to get those claws shortened! You'd all be so disappointed at how long they got!! lol.gifeek.gif