Possible Lymphoma

Guest houndhome

I'm hoping it is just a bad infection. If not, and the worst case scenario is lymphoma, then you can deal with that. My Tigger has pretty much been in remission with his lymphoma for over 6 months. Today is is eleventh birthday. There is a good chance he might see his next birthday, too. Lymphoma is not a death sentence - it is usually highly treatable in dogs with minimal side effects. They can live another year or two (or more) with proper treatment. Huge negative - it can be very expensive. OSU will supply injectable chemo, so that will save you $100-$50 with each treatment. Prednisone by itself will often help if you don't want to go the chemo route. Know the you will have options. Please let us know how you are doing. PM me if you want additional ifno. Anne

Sending prayers for Ace. :grouphug

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Just sending good thoughts and hope the high count ends up being nothing serious. Hang in there.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:angry:

Try not to panic. Ollie's bloods were off too a couple of week ago with a temp of

104.5 eek.gif

it wound being a virus.

Keeping Ace in our thoughts and prayers

Oh Robin thank you for that. What did you do for Ollie? Did it just have to pass?

I haven't done any research yet as I have to work the third shift tonight in the computer room (I just got in). So maybe later tonight I'll have time to do some reading.

She is still excited to play and go outside so I'm hoping that *if* she does have something serious, we have caught it early and might have a better range of options for treatment.

I just keep taking deep breaths but I feel like the world has been ripped out from under me. It killed me to come in to work tonight and leave her at home. If we didn't have security guards here I'd have brought her with me and she could lay on a bed while I work.

Mark keeps saying "let's not worry until we need to" and I'm trying to keep that in my head for now.

We treated him immediately with doxy- this was if it were TBDs were were on top of it and had nothing to lose. It wasn't TBDs- we still kept him on a 10 day dose of 300mg of doxy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I would have added this update to the first post, but I can't figure out how to edit the thread title, so I'll just put it here.

I got some doxy for Ace this morning from the vet. She's already had her first dose. She was perky last night and this morning, and happily ate her breakfast, though just took her cookie and set it down. I have a suspicion she waits until the other dogs have finished theirs and then enjoys hers as they all watch :P

Anyway, while I was there I got her bloodwork results too. Anyone with a medical background or that is familiar with this I'm interested to see what you have to say.

The things that were of concern:

WBC 26.8 reference range 5.7-16.3

RBC 8.74 reference range 5.5-8.5

HGB 22.1 reference range 12-18

HCT 62.1 reference range 37-55 (%)

Neutrophil Seg 50 reference range 60-77 (%)

Lymphocytes 44 reference range 12-30(%)

Remarks were: No parasites seen. Some cells are degenerated. Differential may be affected. Results preliminary pending path review.

Here is the section that was of concern to the vet:

Absolute Neutrophil Seg 13,400 reference range 3,000-11,500

Absolute Lymphocyte: 11,792 reference range 1,000-4,800

Here is the clinical path review from the lab:

Overall microscopic evaluation agrees with reported numerical data. There is a moderate leukocytosis present in this animal which consists of a mild neutrophilia and a moderate lymphocytosis. The lymphoid population present in the sample consists of predominantly an intermediate sized population. These cells are 10 to 20 micrometers in diameter with moderate to high nuclear to cytoplasmic ratios. Nuclei are irregular with smudged chromatin patterns. Cytoplasm is scant to moderate in amount and pale basophilic in appearance. Lower numbers of cytomorphologically normal appearing lymphocytes are identified throughout the background. Although based on the heterogeneous nature of this population marked a reactive lymphoid hyperplasia secondary to antigenic stimulation cannot be ruled out in this case, the magnitude of the lymphocytosis as well as the predominance of an intermediate sized population raises a concern for an underlying lymphoproliferative disease. Differential diagnoses would also have to include a chronic lymphocytic leukemia or generalized systemic lymphosarcoma. Evaluation of this animal for other evidence of lymphoproliferative disease including evaluation of peripheral lymph nodes as was internal lymphoid organs such as spleen, liver, and bone marrow may help to more definitively characterize this process. Immunophenotyping of the lymphoid population with PCR or flow cytometry may also be of benefit in this case. The neutrophilia present consist predominantly of segmented neutrophils. This may suggest a well established inflammatory process in this animal. However, a glucocorticoid or epinephrine induced stress response could present in a similar fashion.

There is a mild increase in the red cell density in this animal. This may suggest a relative polycythemias secondary to dehydration. However, increasted red cell mass may also be associated with splenic contraction or primary polycythemia.

The platelets appear adequate in mass and of overall normal morphology. Numerous platelet clumps are identified throughout the background which precludes definitive assessment of the total platelet numbers.

Evaluation of serial CBC data may help to more definitively characterize the leukocyte and erythrocyte populations. If there is any additional historical information available on this case or if there are any questions regarding this report please do not hesitate to call.

If anyone can translate that into what they're REALLY trying to say and don't sugar coat it. To me that reads as, "it's very likely your dog has cancer."

I know all we can do is go in on Monday and run more tests, but, I'd just really like to know if there's something else that could cause such an imbalance in her system...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest GryffinSong

I'm not a medical person, but I've been fighting breast cancer for the last year. My best guess is that this means there's a SMALL chance of cancer. Here's an example from my own recent past. I was just finished with radiation treatment and my doctor didn't like my liver numbers. They sent me in for all kinds of tests, including an MRI, because there was a chance, according to the path report, that I had cancer in my liver. I didn't. The pathology guys have to mention every possibility, and reading your baby's path report, there are lots of posibilities listed. Cancer is only one they listed, another one was "just" a stress response. I know it's impossible, but try not to worry without more info.

Hugs and best wishes that you have good news soon!

Edited by GryffinSong

Guest Energy11

I am a retired medical person, and based on what I see, it still could be a BAD infection. I would MOST DEFINITELY, share this with Dr. Couto. He could certainly interpret it, and he WILL give you his honest opinion. He and his staff don't "sugar-coat," but they do help, and can tell you where to go from here. Love, hugs, prayers and good luck! Dee and The Five. couto.1@osu.edu. (*Dr. C's email)

If anyone can translate that into what they're REALLY trying to say and don't sugar coat it. To me that reads as, "it's very likely your dog has cancer."

Really just saying, "Wowza, big white count here! We don't like the look of some of the components, so you want to keep an eye on that and maybe run some other tests." Could she have cancer? Yes. But she could also have a nasty infection and no cancer.

Absent new or worsening symptoms, I would probably rerun the bloodwork after 5 days on the antibiotics, see what it looks like then, and go from there.

All fingers and toes crossed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks guys. Diane, she is on one pill twice a day but I couldn't tell you the mg of the pills offhand.

We started the doxy this morning so by the time we see the vet on Monday, she will have had 4 full days worth of being on it. I'm going to ask him to repeat the bloodwork in addition to any other tests he wants to run.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

yes, that's a high white count but it's not out of the range of an infectious response. I'm not a vet and although I am a trained human lab person it's been 20 years since I learned my hematology - but, given that caveat, I think the white count could possibly be a whole lot higher than that with a leukemia type thing.

The fact that the cells are not totally immature (they would be larger with an even larger nucleus) means, like they said, a chronic rather than an acute reaction.

Send that to Dr. Couto and get an expert opinion rather than all us wannabes.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

no advice :( but sending many prayers your way!!!! :hope :hope :candle:hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Diane, they are 100mg capsules. 1 capsule every 12 hours.

Guest argolola

It was suggested that I send Lola's lab results to hemopet@hotmail.com

I think her name is Dr. Jean Dodds and she gave me her interpretation and suggestions for food, supplements, etc. I felt much better about Lola after she emailed me back. The first time is free of charge, although I am going to try to send a small donation after Christmas, just because.

p.s. I have Ace on my prayer list. God bless you both.