I'm New!

Guest Shana

Hello everybody!! :wave

My name is Shana (pronounced Shayna) and I am 20 years old. I have loved greyhounds since I first laid eyes on one when I was maaayyybe 10ish years.

I have been reading this forum for about a month and finally decided to join up. The disappointing news is I don't own a greyhound, and wont be able to for a couple more years. I have to finish school and move out from this stupid condo before I can adopt a grey.

I am located in Edmonton, Alberta, Can.

I have done lots of research in the past 4 months on this breed, and I am certain this will be my first dog ever (I know, I have never had a dog to call mine my whole life, its been a BUMMER!!). My favorite greys are reds and fawns, as well as brindles. But if I find the right dog, he can be any color and I will bring him home!

I do have a cat, and a rabbit though... Cali (full name California) and Mercedez, respectively.

n831165564_5108704_9372.jpg

3090_162433270564_831165564_6775319.jpg

Mercedes014-1.jpg

Mercedes009-1.jpg

Soo that's me in a nutshell. I am super excited about one day adopting a beautiful grey and sharing everythig about him with you guys. I still have lots to learn as well!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Hi Shana and welcome to GreyTalk. This is a great place to learn about greys and share the experiences, joys and sorrows of being owned by this remarkable breed.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Welcome Shana! :wave You have landed in the perfect spot to be as prepared as possible for that wonderful day when you bring your first greyhound home! This site is heavenly!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hi Shana! Welcome from Plano, Texas :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I know they do cat testing on greys... but not so sure they do rabbit testing. eek.gif

Haha I am sure rabbit testing would probably not go too well 100% of the time lol blush.gif

Welcome from NY! Before you know it, you will be owning a beautiful hound of your own. I think it's greyt that you are learning so much beforehand.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest 3greysinPA

I know they do cat testing on greys... but not so sure they do rabbit testing. eek.gif

Haha I am sure rabbit testing would probably not go too well 100% of the time lol blush.gif

Let's just make sure the rabbit is not out when you bring the pupper home... I dont want anything to happen to that cute lil bunny. And I am not saying that it would or wouldnt... i dont know.. but just to be on the safe side.

Welcome from another Edmontonian. :)

The time will come so hang in there. You have definitely found a great resource for a wealth of information.

PS. A friend that adopted a grey this summer has 2 bunny rabbits. :) And there is another person on here that has a grey that cuddles with their rabbit....can't recall their name though. :blush I know my girl would never hurt a bunny so there are bunny safe hounds out there!

Merry Christmas! :xmas

hi there,

Welcome to GT!

I know they do cat testing on greys... but not so sure they do rabbit testing. :eek

They do if you request it. :) And I ferret-tested Koda because we had one at that time. She passed with flying colours and they got along perfectly from day one. The ferret had free roam in the house 24hrs/day and would snuggle up with Koda to sleep. :wub:

Edited by meakah

Guest FullMetalFrank

Welcome; your kitties and bunny are adorable. There is another GT member who has a bunny.

GT is a great place to do a lot of learning and make some friends, too, while you wait for your greyhound. I hope the time goes by quickly for you!

Welcome! I just had to post because my cat has the same coloring as Cali.

Madison:

PICT0654-2.jpg

Also, once on walk, a French Lop bunny hopped up to me and Sahara. She paid no mind to it, so I think she would be rabbit-safe.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Welcome from Eastern Ontario (currently avoiding the weather in Virginia Beach, VA!). That is greyt you are doing your research as it will make things smoother when you can call a pup your own. Remember though, once you have a Grey, you'll have one for life!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hi and greetings from Gainesville, Florida! :welcome2

Greytalk is a great place to come and hang out and learn as much as you can about greyhounds, and also to ooh and ahh all the greyt pictures people post here! :wubsite

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome from Southern,NH, love the pictures esp. of bunny :)

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Welcome from Ontario...we come here from all over the world...but you may already know that. You are very very smart :colgate because greys are the best...ok, a little biased

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I wish more people did extensive research before owning dogs, it is definitely something that should not be taken lightly. Aside from learning about this breed, I have been really into Ceasar Milan's training techniques and am in the process of reading his books. I have learnt a lot about dog behaviour in general and I can tell you I am going to be thankful that I know it when time comes for me to have a dog. Greys are quite unique though, and so adorable :D4

Dont worry, my bunny is caged and there will ALWAYS be supervision when bun is out to play when the dog is around. Even if the dog proves small animal friendly. You can just never be too sure, esp. since racing greys chase small lures all the time. Mercedez is a middle aged man now, so he might even leave me before I get a grey. My mom is also very fond of the rabbit, she may want to keep him when I move out. Whatever happens though, I am sure it will all work out.

Meakah: Yaayyy Edmonton! I am sure over the next while I will be asking you a lot of questions in particular based on our demographics and greyhound associated events in Edm. (I do wonder how these pooor dogs survive minus 30 pee breaks though!! and thats not even our coldest temps eh!!) And I LOVE ferrets, if you have any pics of the houndie and the slinky please post, I would looooove to see this cuddle action you talk about!

Saharasmom: our cats must be long lost sisters :P

Oh and another tidbit about me:

my family always jokes about me and a greyhound for a dog because the dog will be just as big as me, definitely taller too.

I am a wee lass, I weigh in about 97lbs and I want a biiiigggg boy to cuddle.

And I am only 4'11", so on hind legs, the dog would surely tower over me! Haha

I used to have an obsession with Gret Danes (I still really like them) but to imagine they are even bigger than greyhounds and I am so small! It would be a sight to see haha

Guest houndstooth4

:welcome

I brought our classroom rabbit home several years ago and my greys at the time both looked at me as if I were insane! "You brought a wild animal into our house?! What were you thinking?!" :P Your cat and bunny are both adorable! Good luck on owning a grey in the future!