Please Look At My Potty Schedule...well My Dog's =D

Guest GreyBrindle

Guest GreyBrindle

Hi Everyone!

My wife and I just picked up our first dog/greyhound yesterday and well we want to make sure we are doing this right so please look at our doggie potty/eating schedule and let us know if anything seems out of whack/too close together/too far apart or just provide any suggestions you may have ...so here goes:

This is our planned schedule (what we're shooting for):

5:00am - First Potty of the day

6:00am - First Feeding

6:45am - Go for a potty walk

7am-4pm - use doggie door during the day while we are out of the house for school/work

4:45pm - Go for a potty walk just in case

6:00pm - Second Feeding

6:45pm - Go for another potty/exercise walk (is this too early as it is close to 10hrs between pottying the next morning?)

~9-11pm - Bedtime

This is what actually happened today (no doggie door yet, it is on order):

5:00am - Successful potty & wee wee

6:00am - Ate

6:45am - No potty/no wee wee

~9:30am - No potty/short wee wee (we got nervous so took her out again to try and go potty, hence the random time)

4:00pm - Successful potty and wee wee (all throughout the day she didn't have to go, we ran errands and were in and out and she just chilled all day, took her out 45mins short because she let us know she had to go)

6:00pm - Ate

6:45pm - No potty/short wee wee

9:00pm - We will try and see if she will got potty at that time (it's ~7:30 right now, just got back from the last walk)

Notes on her foster care:

Her foster home had her on a free doggie door schedule so she went out on a big yard whenever she wanted to...she was fed at around 6am and around 10pm. She's been off the track for only about 4 weeks (she's 4.5 yrs old)

Some questions/concerns:

Am I confusing things by having the doggie door (when it arrives) and taking her out for potty walks? The uniqueness of doggie door is that it does not lead her to a yard or patio but rather a fully enclosed/walled balcony (open aired though) so I'm hoping this will lead to a distinction in potty types (away from the house vs. tethered to the house - not in it). My hope is that the potty walks will give her some outside time (albeit short) and will help keep her from getting bored in general.

How long after eating should we wait before taking her out to go potty?

Should i leave her an "endless" supply of water while we are gone (in a worst case scenario where no doggie door is present and we're gone during the day) or could this lead to accidents?

Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to get the doggie door on order soon enough (we didn't expect to have our dog this soon as we tried other agencies and none of the dogs seemed to match, also the doggie door seems to be the largest size for dogs and also for the largest type of sliding door so it is back ordered). I fear a big confusion that she will go through as I feel dogs thrive on routine for these things. The good thing about this is that I am on vacation for the next two to three weeks so I am here to take her out during the day and work on training.

Well sorry for the long and probably dumb questions, but at least I'm asking rather than assuming at my poor dogs expense. TIA for your help, oh and here is our lovely girl Connie:

conniet.jpg

Different schedules and habits work for different dogs. I'm far, far from an expert, but I would venture a guess that she'll get used to whatever schedule you put her on. I would probably take her out for a last chance to empty out before bed. If you'd like to see another schedule, ours is:

6am-7am walk

730am eat

8am out to pee

8am-6pm home alone, no dog door

6pm-7pm walk

7:30pm eat

10:30pm out to pee

Welcome to GT! Your girl is a real beauty. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I agree with Christie above, your dog will adapt to whatever schedule she's dealt, though it might take her a week or so to settle into the new one. It's great that someone will be home with her, AND absolutely super that she'll let you know when she has to go. I wouldn't let her go more than 12 hours between feedings unless you need to. Greys have a tendency to barf up yellow bile when their tummy's get too empty, and she may need a small snack if that's her schedule.

Also, I would definitely be working with her on alone training in her new home. It sounds like she's used to be left, but she might not be used to being by herself.

If she's already used to a dog door, it won't confuse her if there is a period of time without one. Schedules are imporant to greys, but most are very adaptable. You may need to put something down in her new run as she may not be used to pottying on concrete. Maybe try letting her out there during the day so she gets used to that area.

We take our greys out usually right after they eat a meal, and not longer than 20 minutes post-eating. Others do this differently so again, I think it's what she gets used to is what you need to keep doing.

Here's our schedule:

Up at 7:30am and out for poop/pee - all four usually do

eat at 8am and then outside again

8:15am- @11am - post breakfast nap

sometime between 11-noon - out for potty

2:30-3pm - long outside break for play/exercise and potty

4:45pm - dinner and right outside for potty

6pm - chew bone and another potty outside

10pm - last potty break and bedtime

We go out a lot more than I thought!

Congratulations and have fun with your new girl!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest sorenkkg

rolleyes.gif I'm an expert on yellow bile...

I might be a rare case, but when we got Haka, he didn't potty AFTER eating, so we got down from 4 walks a day (he came right from the track) to 3 over the course of a week or so, with the help of a daytime walk that was a 12 then 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 and finally 5.

I should mention that ours will sometimes pee in the small backyard, but won't poop unless something is up (she will more than he will, and he won't unless he's wicked sick).

Here's what we do (or did, when the kids actually ate breakfast... now they each get a HUGE cookie):

7:30am or so-- first walk-- they both usually poop and pee, a lot

9am or so, get a big old mother hubbard "breakfast" cookie (this would be food, but they both turned up their noses a year or 2 ago, so that was that)

free water

anytime between 4pm and 5pm-- 2nd walk-- both usually poop and pee, but this changes with some unknown factor-- as long as each one poops at least once a day, i stopped worrying about it.

1st real meal-- 6pm (we feed kibble soaked in water)

anytime between 9:30-11:30pm (it's earlier during the week and later on weekends)-- 3rd walk-- both pee, sometimes one or both poop (if so, it's usually small, unless the one pooping didn't at 5pm)

2nd real meal once it's soaked

It's taken a while to get to this point--- when we first got Haka, we walked UNTIL he pooped... OMG my walks took forever. Now we walk more or less the same route for morning and afternoon (about 20-30 min total), and nighttime is a different route (15 min total) (and sometimes there's weekend play groups or walks in the park, and car rides and whatnot) and if they go, they go, if not, not.

Same with food-- even when we first got them, we didn't free-feed (I mean, they need to gain weight, but I just don't free-feed) and we figured out our particular walk then feed thing pretty fast, and we worked back from 4 walks to 3. They adjusted quickly, and I think having a schedule is what they are used to in their working life, so it makes sense to keep it up in their retirement.

Just find something that doesn't make you crazy and splits the day up more or less evenly, and you will all just get used to it :)

Man plans, God Laughs! :lol

Beautiful puppy!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest GreyBrindle

Thanks everyone very much for all your advice and information. This is all new to us so every little bit of confidence on our part helps make this an easier process smile.gif . This site has been an invaluable resource as it is quite active and there is so much information to search throughgraduate.gif ...today will be another alone training day (more errands to run and the wife at work) and hopefully that goes well, again all your help is much appreciated f55.gif

Guest jacksonhunter31

Beautiful pup--congratulations! We're new to the GH thing too and we were really worried about coordinating our work schedules with potty times etc..after about 2 wks our Grey was on a schedule that hasn't varied much and I think we waaaaayyy over-thought it and worried about it. Bear's schedule is:

up at 6:30 and out for poo and pee

eat at 6:45

Somtimes a second walk around 7:45 for a quick pee

In crate at 8am

Out for poo and pee at 3pm

eat at 5:30pn

Out for poo and pee at 9pm..

Looks like a good starting point to me! You might find things vary a bit -- your dog might do all her business on the first walk and not have anything left for after breakfast, or might prefer to go out sooner after breakfast, or or or. But you'll figure that out. Gorgeous pupper. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You'll figure out what works for you and your pup in time.

Roscoe only needs to go out 3 times a day, but we go out more if the weather allows.

During the week:

Up at 8, eat breakfast

8:30 out for small potty walk

4:00 out for small potty walk

any where between 5 and 7 we go for a big walk

7:00 dinner

9:00 treat

10:30 bedtime potty

weekends arent nearly as scheduled. Its always up in the air but Roscoe is used to that. And as I said, if the weather is nice we'll go out more.

And to answer some of your other questions, I would leave her water all day. Why not if she has the doggy door? Shouldnt be an issue. Also, if she uses the doggy door as she's supposed to and does her business out there, I dont see the need for a 'potty walk', but you should be taking her for regular walks.

Youll figure things out. Some take their dogs out after eating (which would be a good idea until you get to know her), others dont. Roscoe doesnt need to.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest NHgreys

We're lucky that our girls are adaptable to our schedule and very patient with us. DH and I both work rotating schedules - his changes every 8 weeks between afternoons and midnights; mine consists of 12-hour day/night shifts (7-7), which is different each week and includes day and night shifts in the same week. Luckily I only work 3 days a week though. So first potty out ranges from 5am-9am with breakfast soon thereafter, dinner between 5pm-9pm. DH and I try to get them out for one long walk each day if our schedule and the weather (this time of year) permits. We've had no problems so far, but this is a newer job for me and they had a more consistent schedule when they first came to live with us.

Questions re the doggie door.... First, how well is the area enslosed? Would hate for your beautiful pup to get out! Second, what type of surface? Our girls will only do their business on grass or snow, so the doggie-door to a balcony might be moot.

Welcome to GT and congratulations on bringing home Connie!

Just a comment about the intelligence and adaptability of dogs: I have a dog door leading into the fenced back yard. It is open when I'm not home. As I leave, I confine my cat to 3 rooms so he can't get out the dog door. When I am home, the dog door is shut and the car is free in the whole house. The dogs ask to go out the deck door--a completely different exit than the dog door--and they know to ask to be let in the deck door too. I don't think you need worry that the dog door and also potty walks will be too confusing. He'll soon get the hang of all this.

The only thing I'd think of adding is a potty opportunity just before bedtime. My 3 seem to like that and use it, too. Potty, cookies, tucked up in bed is our nightly routine.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest GreyBrindle

yeah i guess we just need to relax a little and allow the dog to adapt to us over a period of time....we need to be a little less paranoid from what i'm understanding tongue.gif ...as for the height of the walls of the balcony, there are three walls, one is about 45" high (my girl is about 27" at the withers and the other two walls reach up to the roof (one acts as a privacy wall between our neighbors balcony and the other is essentially the wall to the second bedroom in our place...they are full on walls, no access points to the outside if you are below their height. and the surface is a hard surface (not concrete or wood). We were thinking of trying to find some type of pet safe turf to add to the floor up there and see if that would work...i know some dogs are picky, but i would really like the possibility of allowing the dog to relieve itself in the event that both my wife and I were held up somewhere or if she needs to go in the middle of the night. and of course we would keep this area clean regularly.

Guest Adrianne

We've had a dog door with Wilbur from day he walked in eight years ago. I love it!! He goes in and out as he pleases (well, not right now with his leg and all). We have the same type--sliding glass door. My husband made the opening even bigger that it was originally, because Wilbur is a big boy.

As for walks being confusing, I just let Wilbur handle his business in the back yard. When we go for walks, it's for fun and exercise. If he does some business on the walk, great. If not, no problem. He gets super excited about his walks as soon as he sees the leash come out.

She is gorgeous, congrats on your new greyhound!

I would only say that her walks seem a bit too short (will you be taking her on longer walks once she's settled in?), especially if she doesn't have a big yard. 9 hours is also a long time to be left on her own, even with potty access...I don't suppose it'd be possible to come home at lunchtime or get a dog walker?

My schedule goes something like - a reasonable walk in the morning (20 mins when I'm working, up to an hour if I'm not), come home at lunchtime they get their lunch and out into the garden; take them out for a 30, 40 or hour long walk after work, depending on weather/if it's winter darkness. At the weekend, it varies, can get up to 2 hours walks. Potty break before bed. But both my dogs are seniors, when they were younger, we went on four walks a day (as I didn't have a yard back then either).

They get a minimum of one hour's walk a day, split over two walks (they're now 11 and 12) but more when I'm not at work.

But maybe you have severe weather conditions where you are that make walking difficult? We're cold, but fairly OK here in Scotland, so can always manage a walk. I would say though that enriching her life with stimulation (walks, toys, kongs, training) is important when you work full-time, especially if she's an only dog and being left long hours.

Edited by Amber

Guest GreyBrindle

I would only say that her walks seem a bit too short (will you be taking her on longer walks once she's settled in?), especially if she doesn't have a big yard. 9 hours is also a long time to be left on her own, even with potty access...I don't suppose it'd be possible to come home at lunchtime or get a dog walker?

My schedule goes something like - a reasonable walk in the morning (20 mins when I'm working, up to an hour if I'm not), come home at lunchtime they get their lunch and out into the garden; take them out for a 30, 40 or hour long walk after work, depending on weather/if it's winter darkness. At the weekend, it varies, can get up to 2 hours walks. Potty break before bed. But both my dogs are seniors, when they were younger, we went on four walks a day (as I didn't have a yard back then either).

They get a minimum of one hour's walk a day, split over two walks (they're now 11 and 12) but more when I'm not at work.

But maybe you have severe weather conditions where you are that make walking difficult? We're cold, but fairly OK here in Scotland, so can always manage a walk. I would say though that enriching her life with stimulation (walks, toys, kongs, training) is important when you work full-time, especially if she's an only dog and being left long hours.

her two afternoon walks are at least an hour and a half combined

How high off the ground is your balcony? Less than 4 ft. is nothing to a grey who gets interested in something on the other side. Granted, most greys are not jumpers, but there are few that couldn't make it over a wall only 45" high.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Guest widowcali

Well, when I lived in an apt., the girls had the following schedule.

445/500 am - first quick potty of the day

5-630 - mommy works out, gets ready for work, breakfest, getting lunch packed.

630 - second, longer potty of the day

715-545 - home alone all day (only had an accident if Widow was having intestinal issues, othewise nothing)

545 - immediate potty walky, very quick

615 - dinner (the dogs only eat once a day)

630-9 pm - mommy does stuff around the house, girls nibble on a rawhide or greeny, mommy eats dinner, etc

9 pm - last potty walky of the day

They had acces to water, but not unlimited. I would leave one of their bowls about 3/4 full of water. And it would mostly still be there (big bowl).

Now that I live in a house, the schedule is:

530 am - first turn out in yard

545-700 - mommy does pre-work stuff like above

700 - second turn out in yard

730-545 - they snooze all day, but have lots of access to the yard. Mostly they do zoomies or snooze away (according to my spy)

545 - quick turn out in yard

600 - dinner

630-9 - mommy does after work stuff as above

900 - last turn out in yard.

Except for the puppy, the girls tend to snooze all day. But it took awhile to get used to both schedules. The house schedule, even with the constant access to the yard, is kind of the same as the apt schedule.

our schedule is

6:30AM first potty pee/poo

9:30AM feeding

noonish 1 hour in the yard weather permitting usually pee/poo

4-5PM out and about for a pee sometimes poo

5:00PM food.

8:00PM out for pee/poo sometimes a little later

bedtime around 8:30PM we sleep until the next morning

we have had 2 failures, both missing the 5PM outing before dinner.

her two afternoon walks are at least an hour and a half combined

Ah sorry I misread that - thought the afternoon walk was only 15mins but seems to be 1hr 15? Sounds like plenty of potty opportunities (if she'll use the balcony and dog door OK), just hope she can adjust to 9 hours alone time during the day.

Ok- here is ours.

Between 6 and 7AM out back for pee. I say between 6&7 because someone will wake us and will need to go out at about 6ish but by 7- everyone has to go out because we need to get ready for work.

Breakfast @ 7:15.

Walk- between .5 mile and 1 mile depending on weather

Last out about 8:45 AM

Out @ 3:30-4 depending on work

Dinner at 5PM

Walk @ 5:30

out 9:30

out @ 11PM

Nite nite

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project