Rapid Onset Cancer - Help

Guest jolie1

Please help, my greyhound Dappy suddenly developed a huge lump on his upper hip on Tuesday, had him at the vet on wed, found out it was cancer (soft tissue sarcoma) on thursday, and surgical consult friday (yesterday) and was told it was not operable and the only option is pain management. Now today, he has been on tramadol for 24 hours but is increasingly uncomfortable, up whining, pacing, panting. I can't stand for him to be in pain, cannot believe that i may have to bring him in and say goodbye as soon as today. Does anyone have any advice for pain management? He is on the max dose of tramadol...the surgeon did say that this cancer is very aggressive and since it developed so suddenly, the end could come as soon as a week (unable to manage pain) I just can't believe I might have to say goodbye today. He is so uncomfortable.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

My Max had Osteoscaroma (bone cancer). I gave him 75mg. of Deramaxx and (1) Tramadol 3xs daily. I have an email into my former employer/vet (friend)in Florida. As soon as I get an answer, I will post it. SOMETIMES the Tramadol can cause the pacing, panting, etc. MIGHT want to try to get in touch with your vet, too. I am sooo sorry to hear about this.

Edited by Energy11

For pain management I know there is more than just tramadol and deramax but I don't know what it is as we did amp the first time around.

But for the amp it was 100mg of deramaxx and 100 mg of tramadol every 4- 6 hours.

Hoping your baby is pain free.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so sorry. I have no experience with soft tissue sarcoma, but one of my girls had a horrible reaction to Tramadol. Please contact your Vet about considering another pain management strategy. I will pray for you and Dappy.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sorry I don't have any advice on the pain management but I'm so sorry your going through this.

I'm facing something similar with my boy right now so I know how you must feel. Sending Prayers to Dappy and your family. I hope you get some more good time with him to spoil him rotten.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Adrianne

Another vote here for talking to your vet about a different pain medication. After Wilbur's surgery last week, he was on Tramadol, and he acted the same way. Stopping it and using just the Deramaxx made a huge difference.

thank you for the replies and prayers. I have been trying to contact my vet and the surgeon we saw, left messages but the offices are closed sat-sun and they refer to er vet, which is hwere we are going now. I cannot stand to see him in pain, he can't even lie down--

Guest Energy11

Good Luck and lots of love and prayers to you and your baby! Maybe the E-vet can give some other type of pain medication that will work!

Guest greytbookert

I would agree that maybe a change in medication. A couple of our dogs didn't do very well on Tramadol at first. There are also stronger meds that can help with pain management.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this, it is horrible!

Guest Energy11

IF you do decide to stay with the Tramadol, you can give 100mg, three times a day, according to my friend/ former employer and vet. Good luck and lots of love!

I also advise you and your vet to contact Dr. Couto at Ohio State U - he's probably the foremost expert on greyhound cancer in the US and a great guy - he'll consult.

PS - someone on here should have his info...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

No advice here either, just holding you and Dappy in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest trevdog

I agree with the others, contact Dr Couto! I'm not that familar with soft tissue cancer, but I was under the impression there were some treatment options?

Sending prayers!

So Sorry you are going through this, and so suddenly. FWIW, we've used tramadol several times and it has caused a 'dazed and confused' reaction in one of our dogs. The way pain management was explained to me is that some handle certain nerve types along the 'spectrum' of different kinds of nerves. Gabapentin (neurontin) has been added for us and has worked well to complement Tramadol as it hits a different area of the spectrum. It may be worth asking your vet if this kind of medication would be helpful in your situation.

All the best to you and good luck to Dappy.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest lynne893

Prednisone, a steroid, helped our grey manage her pain. It literally brought her back to life for a few weeks after her diagnosis.

Could you try Prednisone?

My thoughts are with you and your dog...

thank you to everyone for the advice, thoughts, and prayers. The ER vet evaluated Dappy and told us that with very heavy additional pain meds, he might last another day or so, not even to Christmas. I couldn't put him through that... Dappy has always been a vibrant, funny, silly, affectionate boy, he slept on my bed with me every night, somehow taking up 90% of a king size bed as Greyhounds are so skilled at doing. We had to let him go. I am so heartbroken words cannot express. He was fine just last week, I can't get my head around this. Please say a prayer for my Dapper Dan, he was such a good, good, sweet boy, and brought such joy to all.

Thank you for the kind support-

I'm so very sorry. Run free from pain now Dapper Dan. grouphug.gif

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren