Updated: Took Lola To The Vet

Guest argolola

Very happy to see that Lola is home now.

Feel better soon, sweetheart!! :kiss2

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad she's home. Hoping she's feeling better soon!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest argolola

She's drinking water this evening. Let's hope she keeps it down.

p.s. she roached a bit a few minutes ago!

Edited by argolola

Just seeing this, hon, and adding my prayers that she can keep water down and keep improving. It must be good to have her home but I know it's still worrisome!

Lotsa hugs,

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest argolola

Last night she was walking real wobbly and I thought her legs would come out from under her. She did eat a tiny amount of boiled chicken, but did throw up the ice (well it was water by then.) She is wetting on herself, but did go out to pee pee this morning with her brother. I gave her sub-q fluids at 1:30 pm yesterday and she did have a tiny bubble left when we went to bed last night around 8:00, so to me that means the dehydration is improving. She is losing weight. Her brother is beside himself with upset and now he is not eating.

Heaven forbid, but if she isn't going to recover, how will I know? She is still sitting with her head raised most of the time. I don't want to lose her. I'm crying as I type, as she is my heart. I just don't know what signs I should be looking for. Anyone? Thank you so much.

Edited by argolola

I can't stress this enough. Pancreatitis is extremely serious. It can be fatal. Lola may need more medical intervention. Blood work should be checked again and monitored. She may need IV meds and no food. I can't say this enough, pancreatitis is one of the most serious conditions for an animal.

Guest argolola

I can't stress this enough. Pancreatitis is extremely serious. It can be fatal. Lola may need more medical intervention. Blood work should be checked again and monitored. She may need IV meds and no food. I can't say this enough, pancreatitis is one of the most serious conditions for an animal.

Thank you. Yes, I know how serious it is. WE HAVE NO MONEY LEFT. I get paid once a month and I had just paid my termite bond 2 days before she got sick. We had to beg and borrow to have her treated overnight. She is not a sickly pup, so this was a huge shock. I spent all our grocery money on her. There literally is nothing left. A vet friend in another town is doing what he can. My vet will not take payments. They made this crystal clear. I have IV at home and she is on meds around the clock. I am not a bad person, I am just broke, trying to do my best. My bi-polar husband isn't much help. I have cried all weekend. Now Rudy isn't eating because he is so upset that his sister is sick. Thank you.

Edited by argolola

Guest Energy11

One thing I would ask you vet about, is changing the fluids from Normal Saline to Lactated Ringers. Ringers is full of electrolytes, and it kind of "Gatorade" like. It might be a better choice. I know with humans that have Pancreatitis, there is a vitamin-rich mixture that is given into the vein. Not sure if they do that for dogs,

I'd see what the vet thinks about the solution you are currently giving sub q, and ask about other nutrition alternatives. Sending you love, hugs and prayers!

Guest Energy11

Thank you. Yes, I know how serious it is. WE HAVE NO MONEY LEFT. I get paid once a month and I had just paid my termite bond 2 days before she got sick. We had to beg and borrow to have her treated overnight. She is not a sickly pup, so this was a huge shock. I spent all our grocery money on her. There literally is nothing left. A vet friend in another town is doing what he can. My vet will not take payments. They made this crystal clear. I have IV at home and she is on meds around the clock. I am not a bad person, I am just broke, trying to do my best. My bi-polar husband isn't much help. I have cried all weekend. Now Rudy isn't eating because he is so upset that his sister is sick. Thank you.

It STINKS that your vet won't give you credit. When we lost our Care Credit account (*once they found out our house was foreclosed on, they dropped us), anyway, Curfew was VERY sick at that time, and Dr. Karen extended us credit! I had only been going to her for a few months. SHE IS WONDERFUL! **I don't know your credit status, but maybe you could apply for Care Credit? You can get instant approval online. Just a thought. In the meantime, you are doing all you can, and we support you! Hugs and many, many prayers, Dee the The Five

Guest ProudGreyMom

It sounds to me like you are already on your way to getting Lola better. It will take her time to recover and get her strength and appetite back. I would say it took Benny a few weeks to start to get back to normal and I was sure to keep him on the special diet etc.

Hugs to you and Lola.

Guest mcsheltie

I called Care Credit while on the way to the vet with an emergency I knew was going to cost big bucks and got instant approval over the phone. They have 12 to 18 month plans with no interest. Once you get approval you have to tell the vet you want one of those plans, as the vet has to type in a code. Care Credit runs differently than most cards. CC does not set the payment plan, the vet does.

If she is weak, carry her outside to pee. Weakness is the result of Potassium loss. Which as Energy11 said - Lactated Ringers is needed.

Will your vet friend see her and do blood work for you? The fact that she vomited up the ice is not surprising. We were told no food or water for at least three days. So the inflammation can start to subside. This article says the same thing -

TREATMENT

The passage of food through the duodenum is a strong stimulus to the pancreas. In the treatment of canine pancreatitis we do not want any stimulation of the pancreas; we want the pancreas to rest. This means no food and no water for 2-3 days (IV fluid support prevents dehydration).

Fluid support will generally require potassium supplementation as potassium depletes in pancreatitis. Blood pH must be tracked as well. A critical patient with pancreatitis will need 24 hour care and blood test monitoring several times a day. A plasma transfusion represents a special type of fluid therapy and helps provide special proteins that inhibit pancreatic enzymes. Whether or not the protection afforded by plasma is real or theoretical is still being worked out but since it is difficult to go wrong with a plasma transfusion, do not be surprised if your veterinarian uses this approach.

Pancreatitis is a painful condition and pain management is not only humane but important in recovery. Untreated pain affects the immune system and increases mortality. Injectable pain medications, fentanyl patches, and even continuous drips can be used effectively to control pain. Additional medication to control nausea are also commonly used in the management of this condition. Antibiotics are often used because, even though pancreatitis is not a bacterial disease, bacterial invasion from the diseased intestine is a common occurance.

Once the patient has started to eat again, a low fat diet (such as one of the prescription high fiber diets) is important to minimize pancreatic stimulation. Since there is potential for the pancreas to always have a chronic smoldering bit of inflammation, long term use of a low fat diet is likely to be recommended.

I am sorry I am just now reading this......We are sending lot of prayers... Lots of hugs.... I am so sorry you are going through all of this.... :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest argolola

My dad and my friend helped us out and I just got home from taking Lola to Rudy's vet in Jacksonville. The practice doctors are the track vets, so they are very greyhound savvy. She is on IV fluids and meds and we will bring her home tonight. They will show me how to administer the bags through a needle in her leg. (Julie I may have to call you again...lol.) We should have taken her here to start with but it's quite a distance from home plus our old vet has been so good to Lola through the years (her dog attack, eye surgery, etc.) We should know more later today. Thank you everyone for your support.

:( Glad your dad and friend could help. Really hope Lovely Lola is on her way to recovery now. Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Sounds very good! I know JVille is a bit of a distance from St. Augustine, but, obviously worth it. Lots of love to Dad and your friend! When the chips are down, those who really care, come through. Hundreds of Hugs and Prayers!

Guest argolola

I just called the vet to check on her and they said she had perked up a bit with the IVs going. Thank you all for your support, prayers and good wishes. I love my girl more than words can say (and I'm sure you greyhound folks can relate.)