Sammi's Vet Said He Was...

Guest hannahmom

Guest hannahmom

In amazing shape for an 11.5 year bounce

Heart is great, very mild cataracts, a coat that feels like velvet, great teeth and clean healthy ears.

He does have some rear leg issues ( he drags the leg a bit) but he's in no pain and the vet thinks that continued regular exercise will improve that

He is in the early stages of fecal incontinence, but if there's one thing in life I'm sure of, sh!t washes off, so no worries there.

I know some people shy away from adopting the seniors, worrying about major health issues and huge vet bills, so I wanted to share that it ain't always so.

Consider adopting a senior. The rewards are endless.

A quick shot of my boys - Sammi ( fawn) and Grover( white and red brindle)

:beatheart

Guest Energy11

Yes, the rewards are endless with adopting a senoir. That is one reason I chose to work for GPA Senior Sanctuary of Florida. I really miss that! Our lives were very entiched by adopting Max 11.5, and Dasher 12.9 years. We had Max a little better than a year. Dasher, 8 months. :wub::wub:

:yay :yay :yay

Go Sammi!

I love seniors. :beatheart

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest hannahmom
Very good :) Is your vet familar with pannus?

I would presume so Diane, but she actually said that his eyes were quite unaffected by anything considering his age. There is no redness, or visible clouding - wouldn't we see some symptoms w/ Pannus?

She's a very good vet, holistically trained and very open to alternative treatments and quite a good vet overall.

I will specifically mention Pannus to her when Grover goes in for his shots in a few weeks.

Edited by hannahmom

Way to go Sammi !!!!!!!! We also have an 11 year old bounce who has been with us just about a year, he also has mild cataracts (no pannus), some hind leg weakness, controlled seizures and so far so good on the other matter (LOL). You are so right, there is nothing like the love of a senior. If you have never adopted a senior give it a try, believe me you won't be sorry.

Guest bigorangedog

Yay for senior bounces!!! LOVE them! And such pretty faces on those pups of yours. Glad to hear he had a good checkup. Our family has had Tanner (adopted at almost 10 yrs old), Sly (adopted at 10.5), Apollo (adopted at 9.5), and Whitey (adopted at 11).

:yay

In amazing shape for an 11.5 year bounce

Heart is great, very mild cataracts, a coat that feels like velvet, great teeth and clean healthy ears.

He does have some rear leg issues ( he drags the leg a bit) but he's in no pain and the vet thinks that continued regular exercise will improve that

He is in the early stages of fecal incontinence, but if there's one thing in life I'm sure of, sh!t washes off, so no worries there.

I know some people shy away from adopting the seniors, worrying about major health issues and huge vet bills, so I wanted to share that it ain't always so.

My Brandi is also in the early stages of fecal incontinence and you are absolutely right, it does wash off so no worries here. Your boys are handsome!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

if there's one thing in life I'm sure of, sh!t washes off

Wish more people had your intelligence. :)

Your boys are so handsome. I'm glad Sammi is doing well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytbookert

oh good update for Sammi!

our Annie had a bit of fecal incontinence too.... we called them Annie nuggets! they were quite easy to pick up!

She also had issues with her back end and some eye issues. Prednisolone cleared up her eyes and Tramadol for her back + losing the excess 12 pounds did her a world of good!

Yippee, Sammi!

Guest goodtimekid

That news totally rocks!!!! When we adopted our Seminole he was 12.5 and in bad shape, but he did bounce back and lived a happy 10 months with us. My heart will never be the same. There is just something about a senior hound... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Thank you for your terrific outlook on s*it too. It's true...

Great news! :clap

I agree, seniors are the best!! We only got Sid (five) this time because DH wanted a break from the senior issues, and he only wanted one dog. Left to me, I'd have taken a pair of senior bounces - and there were two pairs waiting. :headwall But I guess that's why we've stayed married for 33 years, huh? Compromise. I'm working on him. ;)

We took Jack at ten, and he had three and half very happy years with us. I loved that little dog. :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

We've adopted a senior (twice), no regrets. Yes there was a some poo cleaning involved but you get very proficient at it very quicklly. For us, the pros out-weighed the cons 100-1. Seniors are the best.

:)

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'm so glad he's doing well!!!!

I am keeping my eye out for a senior broodie myself. :lol

And as far as vet bills go, Sadie is my youngest and has cost me more in vet bills by far!

Wonderful news...way to go Sammi :clap

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest AbbyGirl

Really cute boy! I am glad all went well at his appointment....way to go.

I am currently fostering a sweet little girl for GPAC. I wish I could do more but it's not in the cards right now. Someday I'll have my senior bounce too.

Thank you gor giving Sammi a home when he needed it the most. And absolutely - the rewards are endless.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Sammi is so very cute, and I'm happy to hear he's healthy! :yay

Seniors really are the best. I took Sutra in as a bounce (and a sick one, at that) last February, at age 11. He turns 12 December 2nd and we are REALLY going to celebrate - when I took him we didn't think he'd make it much longer. Now, you wouldn't even know he was ever sick. Everything he does makes me smile. I love all my kids, but, Sutra's got something special about him :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--