Fine Needle Aspiration Question

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

Could you please share your experiences of having FNA (fine needle aspiration) done on your dog to confirm a possible malignancy? A friend's grey is suspicioned of having either osteomyelitis or osteosarcoma. She was told FNA was very painful and several probing stabs with a needle into the bone would be necessary. The dog's vet advised bone marrow biopsy ... which is much more invasive and requires anesthesia. This contradicts the info. from OSU's published info. on osteosarcoma HERE.

Would you mind sharing any experiences with FNA to share with my friend?

Thank you so much.

Guest eaglflyt
I had one bone biopsy done and never again. The fine needle aspiriate from what I understand is not that painful at all.

Thanks, Diane. That was my understanding, too.

FNA isn't painful and AFAIK wouldn't involve going into the bone. It also may not be of any use in diagnosing a bone lesion unless there happen to be interesting cells in the soft tissue OUTSIDE the lesion.

"AFAIK" because I've not heard of FNA for anything but soft tissue things. Could be my knowledge is limited.

I would not have a bone biopsy because of the pain and risk of a subsequent break. I would have x-rays read by a radiologist.

Hugs and best luck to your friend's pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest hlpnhounds

FNA's are not generally painful and are often done with no sedation. They are taken from soft tissue samples.

Bone biopsies are another story. They are generally done under anesthesia. We often keep those pets overnight.

OSU and many others on Greytalk recommended the fine needle aspirate instead of the bone biopsy to confirm that Snickers had bone cancer. It ended up not being a definitive result but I think that besides the pain of the bone biopsy, I decided on the FNA because there was the possibility of shattering the bone during the regular biopsy. Osteosarcoma has a very distinctive appearance on x-rays and after OSU looked them over it seemed pretty certain that osteosarcoma was what we were dealing with.

After they amputated, they send the leg (or part of it) for testing, and it was confirmed that Snickers did have osteosarcoma.

Hugs to your friend and their dog. Many pups have successful surgeries and do well for a while afterward.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest eaglflyt
I wouldn't do either.

I'd have my vet send x-rays to OSU, or get copies and do it yourself. If they feel the x-rays are ambiguous, then I'd follow their suggestions.

The x-rays are on their way to OSU and she's in touch with Dr. Cuoto and Dr. Marin.

I wouldn't do either.

I'd have my vet send x-rays to OSU, or get copies and do it yourself. If they feel the x-rays are ambiguous, then I'd follow their suggestions.

The x-rays are on their way to OSU and she's in touch with Dr. Cuoto and Dr. Marin.

With Cosmo, we did xrays and the FNA the same day. Our vet felt that time was of the essence and he was correct. We were in the room when the FNA was done. If Cosmo was in any pain from it she didn't show it and suffered no after effects from it either.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest MorganKonaAlex
I had one bone biopsy done and never again.

Same here. I'll never do that again. FNA are not painful. The problem with FNA is that a negative finding means it's inconclusive. i.e., it's possible the sample did not collect the correct spot.

We didn't bother with the bone biopsy of FNA as Polli fractured her leg. We amputated.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project