Sensitive - Euthanasia

Guest Whistle

Jack left me at home in his bed and in my arms. He was surrounded by Jilly and Josh who just lay calmly beside him. It was peaceful and the way I wanted it to be. The other two were not in the least traumitized and it has not adversely affected their relationship with their vet so I don't agree with Diane (Burpdog) on this one.

I'm so sorry you are going through this but I think you will find peace in the process afterwards. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the vet come to our house when we let Polli go.

It was very sureal.

First was a shot- a sedative that put her in a very comfotable place. We then spent about 20 minutes cooing, holding and loving her. She was soaking wet from our tears. The vet sat in his car for a while.

Then the shot- which stopped her heart. I had my head laying on her when that happened. It's not something I will ever forget, but I made a promise to her, that I would not make her do it alone.

It was so hard, I can not begin to tell you. But you too will get through it.

Many hugs and prayers for you during this unbeleivably difficult time.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest jettcricket

It was very sureal.

First was a shot- a sedative that put her in a very comfotable place. We then spent about 20 minutes cooing, holding and loving her. She was soaking wet from our tears. The vet sat in his car for a while.

Then the shot- which stopped her heart. I had my head laying on her when that happened. It's not something I will ever forget, but I made a promise to her, that I would not make her do it alone.

Oh, Robin...reading your post made me cry. It brings back those last few moments being with my precious Angels Jett and Cricket. I wasn't brave and strong enough to be there for my Chance, but I promised my heart dogs that Mommy and Daddy would be right there holding them and telling me them how much we love them. :cry1

To the OP...I'm sorry that you are going thru this. Peace and comfort to you, your family and your baby. :grouphug

Jack left me at home in his bed and in my arms. He was surrounded by Jilly and Josh who just lay calmly beside him. It was peaceful and the way I wanted it to be. The other two were not in the least traumitized and it has not adversely affected their relationship with their vet so I don't agree with Diane (Burpdog) on this one.

I'm so sorry you are going through this but I think you will find peace in the process afterwards. :grouphug

In your case it worked out, but there can be reactions by the dog that is being euthanized that are completely involuntary and could be startling to other dogs.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. :(

I can only speak for myself, but for me the time leading up is worse than when it actually happens. I'm not saying that the actual moment won't be hard, but afterwards there is a sense of relief that their pain has ended. Don't feel guilty about a sense of relief. I used to beat myself up thinking I must be the only person who felt that way, only to find out it's perfectly normal.

I have always stayed with my dogs during the process and wouldn't have it any other way for myself. In addition to wanting to be there, it also eliminates the wondering about how the process happens. When we lost Miss Jackie in 2007 we took Miss Jonelle to the vet with us. She knew, and she was so good. That first night, she got up to look for Jackie. I think she just forgot for a moment. After a couple of days, she was fine.

You and your boy will be in my prayers. :grouphug

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

You are so fortunate to have a vet who will come to your home. I've had several cats put down, and one dog so far. I really wish Buddy could have left us here at home, instead of at the vet's. He really got stressed out at the vet. Fortunately, the vet we go to now actually lives in my town (although her office isn't in our town)...so maybe she'd be willing to come to the house when it's time for one of my girls....

I, like so many others, felt it was something I owed Buddy, to be with him at the end. He gave me far more than I ever gave him, and it was the least I could do. It was hard, but had to be done, and I never would've sent him off alone.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I too will never forget the two times I have held my hounds as they went to the bridge. Both times happened in a vet's office. I think it would have been much smoother had it been in our home. I felt that it was the last thing I could do to help them as my hounds went to a painfree place. I will think of you on Friday.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest greyhound_bug

Having had many pets as a kid and even now, I've had to do this several times and it never gets easier.

Most recently was my heart-boy Sullivan (almost 3 1/2yrs ago). He had Osteo and we knew that our time was limited. We started to spoil him a little bit more every day. But when we could tell that his days were getting numbered, he was allowed to have and do anything, all while in our bed (we'd moved the mattress to the living room making it our bedroom for his last months so he didn't have to worry about him going up and down the stairs).

When we made the decision that it was "time", the "knowing what day" he would be leaving us was hard. I took about 100 pictures our last 2 days together. We too were lucky that our vet was able to come to our home. Sullivan greeted him at the gate and not afraid like he would have been at the office.

Sullivan left this would lying with his head in my lap getting his ears stroked-something he and I always did. He wasn't only surrounded by my husband and I but his fellow pack mates were at his side too. I think it helped them with their grieving process even though I'm sure that they knew Sullivan was sick.

Many hugs to you :grouphug :grouphug .

Guest Energy11

It was very sureal.

When Energy had to be sent to "The Bridge," I THOUGHT I wasn't able to be there. I had recently lost my husband Bob to cancer, and thought I couldn't handle being there for Energy. I was terribly WRONG, and it haunts me to this day! Since the day Energy was sent to the bridge, alone, I have dedicated my life to greyhounds, helping them, and the people who love them. Still ... When I think about not being there for Energy, I feel sick! We WERE there for Dasher and for Max, and the vet will come here, and I WILL be here when it is time for each and everyone of my remaining Five, unless, I am, myself, ... "at The Bridge!"

Yes, the sedative is a nice thing, and all vets do it. That gives the animal time to relax, and us, time to talk to them, love them, and it does make everything go peacefully. Love to all of you who have been through this ...

Guest dramaqueen

I have been through it twice & both were painful. Not for my beloved pets but for me. It's all very calm & peaceful & you get to talk to them so your voice is the last that they hear & they are very groggy & they don't even realize what is happening. I stayed and petted my grey and my husky for as lonmg as I wanted & no one rushed me. So sorry for you it's an experience you never forget but you finally console yourself with the fact that they are at rest, and you gave them a beautiful life. My thoughts are with oyu.

Guest KennelMom

Its the hardest days of my life. You are fortunate that your vet can come to your home. We are about 45 minutes from our vet and those 45 minutes may as well be years. I try to hold it together all the way through until the end, since hounds are so senstive to our energy. I don't want their last moments to be worried about why momma is upset.

I always lay them on a blanket or comforter. Ken usually holds them and I sit next to them. We say our goodbyes, the vet gives a sedative (sometimes they ask you if you want a sedative and I always say yes). While the sedative kicks in...5-10 minutes maybe?...we continue to say our goodbyes and remember the good times. When we are ready, the vet administers the shot that stops the heart. What happens next can vary...usually the dog just slips quietly away. Sometimes there's a big exhalation or a shudder. The bowels or bladder may empty. For a while afterwards, there may be some muscle twitches...even after they are gone. The vet will listen to the heart to make sure they are gone. I usually want to leave right away. I want my memories to be of them alive, not dead. The color drains out of their tongue and gums pretty quickly, their eyes get glassy and they lose heat pretty fast. It shreds my heart. DH needs more time to be with the body and finally break down. I always leave them wrapped up in the blanket and have them cremated that way.

I'm sorry if it's more detail than what you were looking for, but when I said goodbye for the first time, I wanted to know every detail of what to expect.

Every time we say goodbye I tell Ken I can't do it anymore. It hurts to damn bad. But I know that we will. It's the price we pay for sharing our lives with these magnificent creatures. The most selfless gift of saying goodbye is always the most impossible. www.pet-loss.net has helped me with the grieving process from time to time.

My heart goes out to you :grouphug Spoil your furkid and relish every moment until Friday. As we should all do every day.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest jettcricket
It hurts to damn bad. But I know that we will. It's the price we pay for sharing our lives with these magnificent creatures. The most selfless gift of saying goodbye is always the most impossible.

Amen.....that is their only fault. Compared to our lives they are only ours for a short time. :(

Everyone has given good advice, the only other thing I did, purely for me, was to have a favorite t-shirt of mine creamated along with my Dalmatian, it made me feel like a part of me would be with her.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. My prayers are with you and your pups.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest Energy11
Everyone has given good advice, the only other thing I did, purely for me, was to have a favorite t-shirt of mine creamated along with my Dalmatian, it made me feel like a part of me would be with her.

I like that, very much!

Guest EmbersDad

when ember went, it was quite sudden. i made the decision atthe office. we were there for her 5th chemo, but she had started to cough a few days before. xrays showed the lesions in her lungs. i was told with pain meds i could maybe get another week or 2, but i also had the special insight of watching my dad fade away in a drug haze with his kidney cancer, and i didnt want to see ember go like that. it was one of the toughest decisions i have ever made, but i let her go right on the spot. the vet gave me plenty of time to be with her, and after the first shot, she relaxed and they gently layed her in my lap for the final shot. one thing, their eyes dont close when they pass. i did not have althea with me, but i wish i did for closure for her. when i got home, she ran around looking for ember...and did the same when jed went. hang in there, and remember, we are all here for you. i lived in ember's remembrance thread, and thanks to wonderful people like soulsmom and robinm, they pulled me thru when i had nobody and i will forever love them for it.

I have been through this more times than I want to count but I have never had the time to prepare for it. My decisions have been made while they were at ER. I wanted you to know that you are in my prayers for the strength you will need on Friday. Spoil your baby rotten...............Take care!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Whistle
When Energy had to be sent to "The Bridge," I THOUGHT I wasn't able to be there. I had recently lost my husband Bob to cancer, and thought I couldn't handle being there for Energy. I was terribly WRONG, and it haunts me to this day! Since the day Energy was sent to the bridge, alone, I have dedicated my life to greyhounds, helping them, and the people who love them. Still ... When I think about not being there for Energy, I feel sick! We WERE there for Dasher and for Max, and the vet will come here, and I WILL be here when it is time for each and everyone of my remaining Five, unless, I am, myself, ... "at The Bridge!"

Yes, the sedative is a nice thing, and all vets do it. That gives the animal time to relax, and us, time to talk to them, love them, and it does make everything go peacefully. Love to all of you who have been through this ...

I am very sorry about your husband and about Energy. No one could blame you at all for making the decision you did.

Its the hardest days of my life. You are fortunate that your vet can come to your home. We are about 45 minutes from our vet and those 45 minutes may as well be years. I try to hold it together all the way through until the end, since hounds are so senstive to our energy. I don't want their last moments to be worried about why momma is upset.

I always lay them on a blanket or comforter. Ken usually holds them and I sit next to them. We say our goodbyes, the vet gives a sedative (sometimes they ask you if you want a sedative and I always say yes). While the sedative kicks in...5-10 minutes maybe?...we continue to say our goodbyes and remember the good times. When we are ready, the vet administers the shot that stops the heart. What happens next can vary...usually the dog just slips quietly away. Sometimes there's a big exhalation or a shudder. The bowels or bladder may empty. For a while afterwards, there may be some muscle twitches...even after they are gone. The vet will listen to the heart to make sure they are gone. I usually want to leave right away. I want my memories to be of them alive, not dead. The color drains out of their tongue and gums pretty quickly, their eyes get glassy and they lose heat pretty fast. It shreds my heart. DH needs more time to be with the body and finally break down. I always leave them wrapped up in the blanket and have them cremated that way.

I'm sorry if it's more detail than what you were looking for, but when I said goodbye for the first time, I wanted to know every detail of what to expect.

Every time we say goodbye I tell Ken I can't do it anymore. It hurts to damn bad. But I know that we will. It's the price we pay for sharing our lives with these magnificent creatures. The most selfless gift of saying goodbye is always the most impossible. www.pet-loss.net has helped me with the grieving process from time to time.

My heart goes out to you :grouphug Spoil your furkid and relish every moment until Friday. As we should all do every day.

Yes, I am fortunate the vet is coming to my home. Bribz has always hated the vet, and I am thankful his passing should be peaceful. The information you have given me is exactly what I was looking for. I want to know what to expect and be as prepared as I can.

I'm so glad you mentioned the blanket. I have a fleece blanket I've had since I was a teen that I use when I'm reading or watching TV. I just called the crematory service and asked if it could be cremated with him, and that said that was fine. I'm going to cut it in half and send half with him and keep the other half.

Thank you for mentioning this. This is what made me think of using my blanket (above).

And thank you all for sharing your stories.

Guest Whistle

We are having the most beautiful cool but sunny day here. I opened the windows and Bribz got all frisky and "roo-ey." They don't roo often, and it just lifted my heart. He seems to be feeling pretty good this afternoon. This weather has always done that to him. And yes, that is my 3-year-old skin kid you hear rooing in the background :)

I just thought I'd share (45 second Photobucket video).

Visit My Website

lived in ember's remembrance thread, and thanks to wonderful people like soulsmom and robinm, they pulled me thru when i had nobody and i will forever love them for it.

And I feel the same way about you Tom- I feel very connected through an amazing journey- through what our girls went through together - as well as what you and I went through together.

I remember when you told me she was coughing. Neither of us wanted to believe it, how could we. We had come so far... unfortunately, not far enough.

No one should go through this alone.

:grouphug

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

No greyt words of wisdom to offer just love him while you can. I will be thinking of you both on Friday.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I had to euthanize my Isabella a year ago. She was very quiet throughout the procedure - I had given her a sedative (acepromazine) about 45 minutes before the vet arrived because she was stressy about strangers touching her. The first sedative shot was given and she appeared to fall asleep. The second shot was given and she stopped breathing almost immediately, but her heart didn't stop for a while. It took about 10 minutes before her heart was completely still - it wasn't beating regularly but it fits and starts. Several beats, then nothing for a bit, then a few flutters, then silence, and on and on. That was the hardest part for me...I felt like she was fighting to stay. The Vet said it was because her heart was strong; the illness that was killing her was in her spine.

The Vet I used, who is a home Vet and has done thousands of euthanizations, also said that in her experience the dogs who had fought their illness the longest were the ones who were the slowest to succumb to the euthanization. She said it's as if their bodies are just used to fighting and go into that mode automatically.

Again, not the most pleasant post but I know you want to hear the good and the bad. It's the hardest thing I've ever done and my thoughts are with you.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

I'm so sorry that you are at that point. I lost Tucker to osteo in June and my 14 year old chow left earlier this year. You can be more prepared when it is planned and you have more control over your friend's last days with you. Make the most of that time. Pictures are important...make sure you are in them. I live alone and take lots of pictures of my dogs. After I had an old dog put down at the evet a few years ago, I came home and looked through pictures. I had NO pictures of him with me! I hate to have my picture taken, but wish that I had at least one with Yogi. We will all be thinking of you this week. Hugs!