Stinky, Stinky Butt

Fuzzy has a really stinky butt. He smells like a skunk and sometimes he makes the whole house smell. Otherwise, we love him.

In April, just before GIG, I thought maybe it was an anal gland situation, so I took him to the vet. They said one side was full, but not the other and they didn't think it was bad. $92, thank you very much. Five or six weeks later, the smell is back again. So, off to the vet. This time, they say there was just a little fluid and again only on one side. The suggested a fecal exam and said that maybe his poop isn't hard enough. Well, it isn't and never has been. The fecal was clear. $90, thank you very much.

I though maybe it was the fish oil capsules. So I stopped them for a few days. Same skunky smell. It is not all the time, not all day long, but when the smell starts, it doesn't go away. I wipe his butt with baby wipes. He gets prozyme and I recently purchased Gastri Calm.

Most times I can deal with it, but that is not the point. What do you think is causing this and how can we fix it? It is a little embarrassing when we have company. Close pins, anyone. HELP!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

Still sounds like Anal Glands to me. Maybe one of them keeps getting infected? Honestly, the smell you are describing is usually anals. I'd have the vet express them, and maybe put him on an antibiotic for a week to ten days.

Sometimes, and it is rare, it can be anal gland cancer, but I'd go with infected glands.

Good Luck, and hope the stinky butt goes soon!

My first guess would have been anal glands. How old is he?? Did the tech or the vet express his glands? The reason I ask is I would be curious to see if he is losing some rectal tone. It could be he is expressing his anal glands on his own--hence the stink--so, when you get to the vet they are already emptied and he's wearing the lovely perfume on his hiney :rolleyes:

It really isn't how hard the poop is, it's how bulky the poop is that helps to nautally express the butt juice. Try adding fiber.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My first guess would have been anal glands. How old is he?? Did the tech or the vet express his glands? The reason I ask is I would be curious to see if he is losing some rectal tone. It could be he is expressing his anal glands on his own--hence the stink--so, when you get to the vet they are already emptied and he's wearing the lovely perfume on his hiney :rolleyes:

He's just five years old. At this vet, they take him away in the back and you don't get to go along. I would assume that the tech is doing the deed. For sure, it was that way the second visit, because I didn't see the doctor at all.

I would ask to be present when it's done this time. As gross as it is, it is not that hard to express the glands yourself. I have done it on occasion. If the Vet is going to charge you that much for something simple, I would learn to do the deed myself. My Vet only charge $15.00 for a butt juicing.

For bulk I would consider pumpkin or benefiber or maybe sweet potato, perhaps whole grain breads or something along those lines.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I would definteley ask for the vet to do it. They can inject Panalog right into the anal glands and believe me, it works. Dylan had stink a$$ just like you are describing and after 1 treatment with the panalog, it never happened again. We only pay $20, for a butt squeeze...

Guest 3greysinPA
I would definteley ask for the vet to do it. They can inject Panalog right into the anal glands and believe me, it works. Dylan had stink a$$ just like you are describing and after 1 treatment with the panalog, it never happened again. We only pay $20, for a butt squeeze...

Is Panalog a steroid ? How does that help the anal gland issue? The only reason i ask.. is because we have the same similar issues with Figgy... he seems to get stinky butt too... comes and goes though... very odd.

It's an antibiotic and anti inflammatory, so if they are even slightly infected or inflammed, it will really help!

Yup, it's a big help if there is any infection in there. Both Dixie and Dylan had that once.

Good luck with the stank issue, I hope they can get down to what is causing it. I'm floored at what they charge you for anal gland expression there. Here in LA it's only $17! Apparently our only animal care bargain is a good butt pinch!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Good luck with the stank issue, I hope they can get down to what is causing it. I'm floored at what they charge you for anal gland expression there. Here in LA it's only $17! Apparently our only animal care bargain is a good butt pinch!

The first time they charged for a new patient exam and the anal gland expression. Second time was a vet tech visit, expression and the fecal test. Yes, this vet is very expensive, but they are only 5 minutes from my house and there is a big, huge sign with a greyhound and a cat out front. The owner vet has had a greyhound for many years; in fact she is on her second grey now. I will give it few more days and then maybe bring him back. I will see if they are open to the panalog suggestion.

My Sugar had this issue. The vet expressed her glands and said they weren't full and it wasn't all that bad. There was some bloody mucusy dicharge on her glove when she was done. (She charged 14$ to do the deed)

Sugar was better for a day or two. Then it was back and she was licking herself raw. So muzzle on and I googled. I figured infection somewhere back there. Googled it, one call to the vet and Sug was on Ampicillin for 7 days and problem solved. So what I'm saying, is that it might be an infectied gland or something back yonder.

Every time I see this thread name I think of Achy Breaky Heart- don't ask me why- I am a classic rock girl!

Sorry- Irene- No help. I know!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Rogersmom

Roger could use to have his anal glands expressed every few weeks. He is constantly licking away at his butt. My vet said that some dogs just seem to be prone to needing this done. She said they can do surgery to remove the glands as they are not really needed but that incontenience was a possible side effect. I think I would rather have to get the glands expressed every few weeks than have a dog leaking poo all over the house. I had Roger's glands expressed at PetSmart as I had a free vet visit coupon. They charge $20 to express the glands and $6.50 for disposal of medical waste. I will never go there again. Sorry but I don't think they needed to charge to through away the tissue they used to collect the fluid from Roger's anal gland. Somehow, my free visit ended up costing $38 dollars.

My vet charges $20 to do the deed on top of the $40 office visit. Sometimes she is feeling charitable and does not charge for the office visit.

So far, I have had him on canned pumpkin in addition to his kibble, prozyme and gastic aid. So far, so good. I don't know how long it will last, but, I don't mind giving it to him and the other two seemed delighted with the additional tablespoon on their dinners. Let's hope this does the trick. I am also all for trying the whole grain bread, as he is a really, really thin dog.