The Continuing Saga Of Mork's Toes

Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

My poor Morky buster. I post a lot about his poor feet and his corns... he's got 1 on his front left where he's also missing a toe, 2 on his front right and one on his back right. All of these are on weight-bearing toes and the previously amputated toe is also weight bearing.

We can manage the front ones since they are easily dremeled. The back one is another story. It would come and go since it first appeared almost 2 years ago. Now, it refuses to go, or even make itself visible to let us treat it (dremel, hull). He pretty much puts no weight on the foot anymore, and he took a spill in the kitchen a couple weeks ago. He tries to put most of his weight on the front right and back left since those must be the most painless feet, and being 2 legged isn't good for my big boy.

TheraPaws barely help that foot anymore, and we walk much much less. Also, that toe is getting so swollen and it's just huge compared to the others.

Yesterday we went to the vet, and she commented on his toes being "cattywompus" on that foot most likely due to atrophy. So we're going to do blood work and a chest film next week. The vet wants to make sure he's healthy before we put him through this. He's got some arthritis in his R hip. But the only other pain she should get from his back right was that damn toe.

The big man just turned 10, and I hate doing this. But he's not using that foot anyway...I just hope this makes him better.

DSC_0242.jpg

I'm sorry you've gotten to the point that nothing else will help. I hope this gives Mork the relief he deserves. :grouphug

Signed, a fellow corndog owner - one on each paw.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

There's always a risk with any kind of surgery, and you should take every precaution. Though it sounds like this is impacting his quality of life. If that can be made better, surgery might be a good option.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sending y'all lots of good thoughts. I know you've been through the wringer with his toes and I hope this gives him some relief!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

For similar reasons we had Sam's toe amputated to first knuckle. It is a weight bearing toe on hind foot. I am so glad we did it because once healed he is back to using the foot completely normal. The corn was inside from the pad to the bone and no wonder he would not put any weight on that foot!

Good luck to Mork~~and his humans.

Guest MnMDogs
For similar reasons we had Sam's toe amputated to first knuckle. It is a weight bearing toe on hind foot. I am so glad we did it because once healed he is back to using the foot completely normal. The corn was inside from the pad to the bone and no wonder he would not put any weight on that foot!

I thought I remembered a post about a grey with a corn growing into the bone. Was the pad with this corn very large? Mork's pad with this horrible corn is very strange looking, and seems to be getting larger. I just hope that it can help him...he's never known life (since I've had him) without at least one corn. But this is the first one that has cause such problems, and really is effecting his QOL from what I can tell.

I thought I remembered a post about a grey with a corn growing into the bone. Was the pad with this corn very large? Mork's pad with this horrible corn is very strange looking, and seems to be getting larger. I just hope that it can help him...he's never known life (since I've had him) without at least one corn. But this is the first one that has cause such problems, and really is effecting his QOL from what I can tell.

The pad seemed larger than the others. There was no external corn that we could deal with and he was three legging even on carpet, could no longer do hardly any walks even with his therapaw boot. I was concerned with muscle wasting on that hip and leg if he continued for a long time with no use of that limb. It was a hard decision because our vet was very honest and said he could not guarantee how Sam would be after the removal but at the same time we had run out of options. Once Sam healed he never held that paw up again and now prances around like our old Sam. This was the paw that we have had corn problems on but nothing since, fingers crossed! Also, Sam was diagnosed as hypothyroid this spring and is on meds since early May. Not sure if there could be any connection in his case but just glad all is well with this sweet boy. We had fun with the recovery with him because he is a huge LICKER!!! Ended up wearing his therapaw loosely at night when we couldn't keep an eye on him.

Hope all goes well with Mork!

Guest MnMDogs

Hmm, Sam sounds a lot like Mork! He just started on thyroid meds as well, and we'll probably need to watch him like a hawk if we get the green light to go ahead with this. We've been putting it off for a long time due to his other corns and toe issues. But like Sam, he's not using that leg much at all and I think this is our best option. Thanks for your posts.