Logan Is In Bad Shape

We do not know how it happened but our best guess is that Gypsy ran into Logan or perhaps he just twisted wrong in the melee of last nights adventure. (See other post about Gypsy's kill). After 4 hours of Logan panting and pacing we took him to the ER Vet at 2 AM. They confirmed that the pain was from his neck and gave him an injection of Hydromorphone. An hour later we took him home drooling and panting far heavier than when we arrived. We tried everything to get him to lay down and relax but nothing helped. By 5 AM I phoned the ER and asked what else we could do. They suggested that we bring him back in so they could give him a medication that would reverse the Hydormorphone. She also told us that the med should be wearing off after 4 hours. We decided not to put him through the ordeal of going back to the ER and simply waited it out. The ER had also prescribed Rimadyl and Methocarbamol in addition to his Tramadol. By 7 AM he finally layed down and stayed there for 3 hours. That was the only 'sleep' either of us had had all night. I know he is hurting and I don't know what else I can do for him. He turned his nose up to hamburger and rice this morning but did eat a few bites of mac & cheese. He is drinking normal. What else can I try so that all these meds don't make him sick?

Everyday-4.jpg

He could have a pepcid (10mg famotidine) twice a day. That'll help cushion his tummy from the meds.

Has he had Tramadol before? It can make some dogs restless/weird.

Neck things are awful because every time doggy moves, it hurts.

If he seems worse at any point, I'd get him back in for an x-ray.

Sending hugs and lots of prayers for your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I am sooo sorry you are going through this!

You can try plain yogurt/and or/ low sodium chicken brooth. If Logan will not eat this on his own, you CAN use a turkey baster, or a children's medication syringe (*available in any pharmacy) and give SMALL amount of either, or preferably, mixed, at a time.

I, personally, cannot take anything Codine based, so I know what Logan is going through. Hope he feels better, soon!

Logan was diagnosed with Cancer back in January and was not expected to still be with us. He has been on Tramadol everyday since the diagnosis. I am so worried that this might be too much for him. He was happy and healthy up to last nights incident.

Everyday-4.jpg

I hate that they have to get hurt on the weekends, especially long weekends. We should ban that.

When it's a neck injury, I am really cautious until I am sure is is muscle or disk. Pain meds can make them think they are okay and in turn make things worse. I've also found that anti inflamatory meds combined with Tramadol can make a dog feel really crappy.

I would keep him quiet. Put an ice pack or a frozen towel with is lighter on his neck for periods of 10 min. When was his last dose of Tramadol? You could try just using the Rimadyl once the Tram has worn off. I would hope that the Rimadyl and the muscle relaxer will give him some relief.

Don't worry too much about the not eating, when dogs are in pain they often will not eat. Just hand feed whatever you can get him to eat so he isn't getting his meds on an empty stomach. I'd alos pick up something for his stomach, I'd tell you but I'm having a brain glitch. I see Batmom already posted one.

I'ld take him into his regular vet asap just to asess everything.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

This sounds similar to Gracie's back injury. She wouldn't lay down for 15 hours! They E-vet gave her an injection and she it would knock her out within minutes of getting back home - not! I got her in at my regular vet as soon as they opened. Even with xrays the best they could say was she pinched a nerve mid-back while she was running. They had to put her on a morphine drip all day and then Tramadol after she was home. We had a week of her yelping a bit when she tried to stand p or shift on her bed and we had to leash walk her in the yard for several weeks. So far no re-occurence.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We use braunshwager (spelling is wrong but that is what it sounds like, lol) - it is a soft meat spread available where bologna and cheese is sold in stores - it comes in a plastic roll tube like cookie dough - the pups love it and the smell hides the smell of the meds - and it is moldable so it goes around the pills easily - even our champion pill spitter took his pills this way. Hoping Sweet Logan is able to rest soon and that the meds start helping. Hugs, scritches and prayers.

I went through an awful neck injury with Tanner and he was in a lot of pain. It was the e-vet in the middle of the night, and at that time, my vet owned the clinic so they called him.

After xrays, they sent us home with Torb and Metacam and told me to keep him quiet for 2 weeks. With the Torb that was easy because it really knocks them for a loop.

I also set up an electric blanket which the vet told me would help and it did. I also massaged him with Traumeel gel which I think helped as well

I hope he's comfortable poor guy, neck pain for them is the worst.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Logan was diagnosed with Cancer back in January and was not expected to still be with us. He has been on Tramadol everyday since the diagnosis. I am so worried that this might be too much for him. He was happy and healthy up to last nights incident.

:grouphug Are you able to take Logan back to the vet who diagnosed the cancer?

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest momto5greys

One of the things I have done when someone wasn't eating, I took a can (just a small portion) of a good quality canned dog food (actually when they are not eating, I'm haapy with anything they get down) that does not have chunks. I add warm water and make a slurry out of it. See if he will lap that up. If not, I move to plan B and use a syringe and squirt it in at the corner of the mouth. You can also try baby food to see if he would eat that.

One of my girls (Cammi who has cancer too) can not take tramadol. She paces, whines and pants on it. We had good success with gabapentin (I'm sure that's not spelled right.)

DH went out and picked up a couple cans of low sodium chicken broth and some plain yogurt. I am going to boil up some chicken for his dinner tonight. We are going hour by hour here and the last hour was very good, he was quiet and actually fell asleep. He got up and went in the other room and layed down by himself without whimpering.

Everyday-4.jpg

Have you tried the baby food(meats)? That and scrambled eggs worked for Misty for awhile.

The other thing she loved was the Tilapia and it's so good for them. Very high in protein though but when you need them to eat, all the rules go out the window

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Logan had a good night last night. I slept on the couch so that I could keep a close eye on him. He didn't make a sound all night. He did get up and move to a bed in the other room. He loves the yogurt (who knew). So far that is the only thing he will eat. The good news is that he has not thrown up so far. Logan has the most tender tummy and will throw up at the slightest notion. He appears to be feeling better and has the sparkle back in his eyes. Hopefully we have turned the corner. Thanks for the advice and prayers.

Everyday-4.jpg

Logan had a good night last night. I slept on the couch so that I could keep a close eye on him. He didn't make a sound all night. He did get up and move to a bed in the other room. He loves the yogurt (who knew). So far that is the only thing he will eat. The good news is that he has not thrown up so far. Logan has the most tender tummy and will throw up at the slightest notion. He appears to be feeling better and has the sparkle back in his eyes. Hopefully we have turned the corner. Thanks for the advice and prayers.

:yay:yay Excellent

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Glad to hear Logan had a good night. Sending prayers that he continues to feel better.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Is he continuing to improve?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project