Allergies?

Guest twhitehouse

Guest twhitehouse

Lexi is having some issues with her skin and the area around one of her eyes. :unsure

A couple of months ago we noticed that the skin around her mouth/nose started to get really pink and the hair was gone. We thought it was just her muzzle irritating it (at the time she was muzzled while were gone) so I lined the muzzle with a soft felt material. The hair started to grow back and although her skin was still pink, it looked better.

Then she developed this strange irritation on the top bridge area of her nose. I thought she had cut it somehow on the muzzle. I also noticed that the area around one her eyes was losing its hair and was really pink. I took her into the vet for her shots, etc and asked him about it. I told him about the muzzle and he said it was probably just because of that.

We stopped muzzling her. She was muzzled because of her SA issues. I thought the irritations would go away...

Well they haven't...if anything, they look worse! The entire front part of her lips are pink. The spot on her nose looks a little better, but has become a hard bump, almot like a callus and she doesn't like me to touch it. The area around her eye is the worst. Its so pink and just looks sore. These spots seem to get more pink and even red about 10 minutes after she eats.

That is why I'm thinking it could be allergies. What's strange though is that we've fed Lexi the same food since we brought her home a year and half ago. She does not seem to itch or be bothered by these areas on her face but she does not like me to touch them at all. I'm assuming they must hurt! :( She has always had very thin fur and it's not all that soft so maybe she's had allergies all along and just now they are really starting to show.

I'll need to bring her to the vet but just wanted to get all your thoughts first.

Edited by twhitehouse

Skin scraping first. If no critters/bacteria/etc show up, then consider allergies or lupus. krissn333 and SoulsMom (I think?) can tell you more about lupus and what types of symptoms you might see.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest twhitehouse
Batmom is right, Amber(Soulsmom) has a lot of experience with Lupus, I'll email her and point her here.

Thanks. I'd appreciate that. I looked up Lupus and it sounds like it could be DLE (Discoid Lupus Erythamatosus). I'd be interested to see what Amber has to say but I'm giving the vet a call anyway.

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks for pointing me this way Claudia (my GT supporter status expired, that's why my inbox is full)

Soul has Discoid Lupus and when he's in a 'flare up' his nose will crack/peel/bleed. It also affects the skin around his eyes sometimes. They'll get itchy, bumpy, and irritated from time to time. His nails and pads are also affected by the condition. Interestingly enough, he also has a very thin coat like your Lexi.

That said, he hasn't had any issue with his mouth area . . . Discoid Lupus acts like an allergy because it is basically the skin cells attacking other healthy skin cells, thinking they are an invader. Does Lexi still have the 'cobblestone' look to her her nose or is it smooth? Has she lost any pigment on her nose? Those two conditions are classic signs of DL.

DL has be diagnosed through a punch biopsy, but if all the classic symptoms are there I wouldn't recommend it. A punch biopsy is very painful and takes a long time to heal . . .

Hope my experience helps!

ETA to ask: Does Lexi spend a lot of time in the sun? Sun exposure can lead to a lupus 'flare up'

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest twhitehouse
Thanks for pointing me this way Claudia (my GT supporter status expired, that's why my inbox is full)

Soul has Discoid Lupus and when he's in a 'flare up' his nose will crack/peel/bleed. It also affects the skin around his eyes sometimes. They'll get itchy, bumpy, and irritated from time to time. His nails and pads are also affected by the condition. Interestingly enough, he also has a very thin coat like your Lexi.

That said, he hasn't had any issue with his mouth area . . . Discoid Lupus acts like an allergy because it is basically the skin cells attacking other healthy skin cells, thinking they are an invader. Does Lexi still have the 'cobblestone' look to her her nose or is it smooth? Has she lost any pigment on her nose? Those two conditions are classic signs of DL.

DL has be diagnosed through a punch biopsy, but if all the classic symptoms are there I wouldn't recommend it. A punch biopsy is very painful and takes a long time to heal . . .

Hope my experience helps!

ETA to ask: Does Lexi spend a lot of time in the sun? Sun exposure can lead to a lupus 'flare up'

Thanks for the insight Amber. After reading your post and looking into it a little more. I don't think she has Lupus. She does not have any pigment changes on her nose and her eyes don't seem to itch. The area on her face that is affected is like on the "bridge" of her nose, about 2 inches up from her nose. I'm leaning more towards allergies since it tends to get worse after she eats. This morning especially...Her eye looked ok before our walk. After I fed her this morning the area around her eye turned so red that it looked bloody almost.

We have an appointment for next Tuesday so hopefully we can get it figured out then.

Edited by twhitehouse

Guest twhitehouse
What is she eating? Have you considered a grain free food? That's always a good place to start if you suspect food allergies.

Right now we are feeding Purina One. I will see what the vet says, but your probably right. I might try switching to TOTW depending on how expensive it is at my local feed store.

Guest twhitehouse

Just got back from the vet. Turns out Lexi has a fungal infection on her nose. It is also around her eye and the vet thinks the eye could also possibly have a kind of mite. I guess there is a kind of mite that is on the skin naturally but the fungus can make it worse...

She brought Lexi into a dark room and put a black light on her face. Her whole face glowed like a Jack-O-Lantern :eek I guess the fungus glows... so she could see on the spots that were infected.

They did a skin scrap around her eye and are going to do a live culture with what she picked off her nose.

For now I have to put Betadine solution on her nose twice daily and another kind of medication on 3 times daily. I forget what it's called right now.

I feel like a bad mom for not taking her in sooner. :blush However, the other vet looked at it earlier but didn't think much of it. :huh I guess it wasn't as bad then. Hopefully the medicine she gave us helps her. We have to go back in 2 weeks.

Guest Javagirl
Just got back from the vet. Turns out Lexi has a fungal infection on her nose. It is also around her eye and the vet thinks the eye could also possibly have a kind of mite. I guess there is a kind of mite that is on the skin naturally but the fungus can make it worse...

She brought Lexi into a dark room and put a black light on her face. Her whole face glowed like a Jack-O-Lantern :eek I guess the fungus glows... so she could see on the spots that were infected.

Whoa! That's crazy. I can usually deal with anything but when something is wrong with Ladd, I turn into jelly. I would have freaked out. Glad it was diagnosed though.

Kristyn

At least you have a treatable answer!! I'm glad about that. Kisses to that little fungaly face :kiss2

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest twhitehouse
At least you have a treatable answer!! I'm glad about that. Kisses to that little fungaly face :kiss2

I'm glad its treatable as well! I'll have to try to post photos of her poor face later. After the vet poking and proding at her she looks awful! Poor thing. :( She was a great patient, stood completely still for what I can imagine was painful. The vet loved her. But she hid her head under my chair when the vet came back in the room with the medication. :lol

She was a great patient, stood completely still for what I can imagine was painful. The vet loved her. But she hid her head under my chair when the vet came back in the room with the medication.
Poor baby. Hope she's better soon.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter