Biotene For Bad Teeth

maximum

Max has really bad teeth, and is down to 13 teeth. He has a dental coming up and I have to basically decide if we take the remaining teeth out to avoid future dentals (he is 11) or keep them and try everything possible to keep them. To this end, I was looking at buying Biotene to help him out, after reading about it here on GT. But when I went to buy it, I saw that it had xylitol in it - which I thought was a huge no-no for dogs!!?? :blink:

Sooo, is there another type of Biotene out there that doesn't have Xylitol? I don't think I want to use it, if it does have xylitol in it... :unsure

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

I've been using it for almost 2 years and it was my vet who told me to use it.

I also called UC Davis to ask about it and it's safe to use on the dogs

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I am not sure exactly why it is so bad, but this is from the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association;

http://www.ovma.org/pet_owners/pet_health/...s_for_pets.html

It's also listed on the ASPCA website under their poison control section. I think the danger to pets is a fairly recent discovery; I only heard about it in the past couple of years (or less) - maybe why a vet thought it was okay?

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Petrodex breath spray for dogs also contains Xylitol in very small quantities. It appears to be safe in those quantities, but I'd be afraid of the risk that a dog could get hold of the bottle and take too much--especially a dog that might have other health issues.

I tossed my bottle of Petrodex. I decided it wasn't worth the worry, let alone the risk.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I think it must be in small enough quantities to be safe, especially if vets are recommending it. If you look at the ingredients list of things like toothpaste (human) it's enough to make your hair stand on end. There are some preservatives in there you would not want your child to get into, and yet we use it every day. Even the flouride is enough to make you think, and yet .. here we all are, still using it. :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

We all keep so many things in the house that are dangerous to our dogs that it would not occur to me not to have Biotene around just for fear of dogs getting to it. I have mouth rinse upstairs in my bathroom that contains xylitol & after reading the info on Biotene was thinking of getting some for all of us, dogs included. Rather than refuse to have it in the house, you could take the precaution of putting it on some gauze, safely put it back out of reach & then take the soaked gauze to your victim... er, I mean your hound. :P

Maybe there is such a small amount in Biotene that it has no effect on the dogs.

This is exactly what UC Davis and my own vet told me. My vet would not have me using something that would be harmful.

But if people have any concerns about it, they shouldn't use it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless