Drug Warning...looking For New Vet

Guest freightsmom

Ace is a drug I won't use, but my concern using it for any phobia is the drug does not calm the phobia itself, it just sedates the dog so they can't display the fear, but they're still feeling the fear.

Other drugs work differently and actually calm the fear

I absolutely agree!! I only use it in any of my dogs for injuries / post surgery / etc, NEVER for fears. The thought of them panicking and unable to show it / self soothe terrifies me.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11
Ace is a drug I won't use, but my concern using it for any phobia is the drug does not calm the phobia itself, it just sedates the dog so they can't display the fear, but they're still feeling the fear.

That is why I use Valium. It sedates and calms, and it has good results.

Guest Energy11
Ace can and is used with greyhounds all the time (OSU uses it) but, it can and will effect every dog differently so, you need to start out with a low dose first to see how the dog reacts to it.

Yes, actually, I got the OSU sedation protocol from them, to try on sedating Goldie for her horribly long nails (she will not let me touch them), and she had a pretty bad time of it. She was highly sedated for a very long time. I was pretty worried. Today, DH will hold peanut butter in front of her, and I will try again with those nails. If not, we will try a low dose of Valium/Ketamine for her sedation. As you said, the ACE can effect them all differently. My friend's 3 yr old had a bad reaction, also.

It's scary that we put our trust in people you might think know better with our loved ones pets and animals........

To learn by our mistakes is human.......but sometimes this is costly....

Thank goodness Aim is ok.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Don't be so quick to slam your vet for the perceived error. There is no established danger to greyhounds, though it is not commonly used in boxers. It has a huge dosage range and by and large is quite safe. The main risk is of overheating. You don't state what dosage the pills were but if they were 10 mg, that's well within a safe range.

Guest freightsmom

I appreciate the well wishes and Aim seems none the worse for the experience, she's back to her silly ways.

My main purpose for the post was to remind us to check drugs before we give them to our dogs and for those with no experience with Ace, like me, to be aware of the possible effects.

BTW, the dosage was 25 mg so if we had followed the vet's dosage of 2-3 pills, Aim could have received 75 mgs. of Ace.

I love this forum because it allows us the opportunity to share and learn from each other and, yes, sometimes vent because we know there are others here who truly understand how we feel :bighug

Guest Tuxsmom

first, i am so glad your baby is ok ! what a scary experience. i've seen a bad reaction in a boxer mix to ace before, too. this poor dog had been injected with enough to sedate a horse. the drug was also taken from my tack room supply cabinet without my knowledge or consent, which made me doubly mad !!!

but on a second note.....

the word "sue" being tossed around here scares me !

i would not sue my vet over this. i might switch practices, if i thought the vet didn't own up to it or was being deceptive trying to hide it. it sounds like the vet admitted the mistake and i'm sure has learned a lesson from this.

vets are human, not Gods.

good luck finding a suitable sedative for those scary thunderstorms :grouphug

Ace can and is used with greyhounds all the time (OSU uses it) but, it can and will effect every dog differently so, you need to start out with a low dose first to see how the dog reacts to it.

Since we're on the subject, that goes for things like Benadryl, too, people. The 1 mg/lb. rule for that drug may work for some but it can be dangerous for others.

OP, I'm glad your pupper is OK.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I absolutely agree!! I only use it in any of my dogs for injuries / post surgery / etc, NEVER for fears. The thought of them panicking and unable to show it / self soothe terrifies me.

I had a vet prescribe it for Kobie because of his fireworks fear, I used it once and hated the effect it had on him. He was still terrified, but couldn't move to hide. I never used it again. I wish I'd had a vet prescribe Valuim or Xanax for him, that would have been much better. He might still be here, too.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I had a vet prescribe it for Kobie because of his fireworks fear, I used it once and hated the effect it had on him. He was still terrified, but couldn't move to hide. I never used it again. I wish I'd had a vet prescribe Valuim or Xanax for him, that would have been much better. He might still be here, too.

My dogs get Ace for thunder phobia, but never are so sedated that they cannot move. I can wake them up for food and for potty and they walk and move without a problem. And they sleep, they are not awake and afraid.

Benedryl is a good drug, I have given it to my dogs, I give more than the 1mg per pound of body weight on the advice of my vet, without any side effects except for the sleeping that I want them to have.

I tried Valium for thunder phobia and for Lulu's separation anxiety (along with behaviour mod and many other meds) but got no effects from it at 25mgs orally and still had dogs who were terrified. Xanax the same. Valium if not given routinely acts as a sedative, very similar to ace. To get the anti-anxiety effect of those drugs it must be given routinely, according to my last 2 veterinarians, and I trust my vets.

Just remember that each dogs is different and responds to drugs differently. Don't discount a drug because you "hear" it's bad. It might just be the drug that can save your dogs life or make his/her life ever so much better. :)

Guest freightsmom
first, i am so glad your baby is ok ! what a scary experience. i've seen a bad reaction in a boxer mix to ace before, too. this poor dog had been injected with enough to sedate a horse. the drug was also taken from my tack room supply cabinet without my knowledge or consent, which made me doubly mad !!!

but on a second note.....

the word "sue" being tossed around here scares me !

i would not sue my vet over this. i might switch practices, if i thought the vet didn't own up to it or was being deceptive trying to hide it. it sounds like the vet admitted the mistake and i'm sure has learned a lesson from this.

vets are human, not Gods.

good luck finding a suitable sedative for those scary thunderstorms :grouphug

Tuxsmom,

Don't worry....I have no intentions of bringing suit against the vet or even asking them to pay the e-vet bill. That was mentioned by an OP somewhere in this thread. I put as much responsibility and blame on me to have checked the drug before giving it as to the vet who prescribed it.

OMG how utterly terrifying! :ohno :ohno :cry1

I second the suggestion to send your vet the e-vet bill. She's lucky she doesn't have a lawsuit on her hands. I would never ever forgive my vet if that happened to me. Luckily she is very grey-savvy and is known for looking every little single thing up before administering meds.

:grouphug Sooooo glad to hear that Aim is okay.

I was just going to say the same thing.....your ex-vet should offer to pay the e-vet bill or part of it or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a vet prescribe it for Kobie because of his fireworks fear, I used it once and hated the effect it had on him. He was still terrified, but couldn't move to hide. I never used it again.

My dogs get Ace for thunder phobia, but never are so sedated that they cannot move. I can wake them up for food and for potty and they walk and move without a problem. And they sleep, they are not awake and afraid.

As I said earlier, Jim got ACE for thunderphobia and it was the only thing that worked for him. He was dopey, but certainly not immobile - I'd worry about giving that high a dose! Jim would take himself upstairs and settle down to sleep in my son's room. And yes, he would sleep. Not awake and worrying, but sound asleep and peaceful, but not so sound asleep he wouldn't be woken by people coming into the room and talking. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It has a huge dosage range... 10 mg is enough to work for some dogs, while others of the same size (my Joplin was one of these) can receive 10X that much and be up and walking around. Additionally, the effects can be cumulative when given in multiple doses over time (ie ever 12 hours), and dogs can develop a tolerance. I personally ALWAYS keep acepromazine in my first aid kit, because it's safe, effective and not a controlled substance.

Also, for whoever brought up Benedryl, even though the dosage is 1mg/lb, dosing does top out at 50mg/dog, according to most current practice. One of the new vets in the practice where I used to work brought us up to speed on that a few weeks ago.

Lynn

Also, for whoever brought up Benedryl, even though the dosage is 1mg/lb, dosing does top out at 50mg/dog, according to most current practice. One of the new vets in the practice where I used to work brought us up to speed on that a few weeks ago.

Good to know, Lynn.

'Twas I who brought it up. That dosage gets tossed around a lot here. 25mg was enough to loop out my 77-lb dog. And yet, it's a useful safe drug. My intended point being that *all* drugs can have undesirable side effects, and anything that has some depressant value should be used with care and watching till dog's response is known.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyvettech

Ace is to NEVER be given to a greyhound or any sight hound for that matter. I'm really surprised your vet didn't know this. Also, Boxers don't tolerate it well. I know some say it's ok in small doses...but why take the risk when there are other drugs to use? Amitriptyline can be given to greys and helps or valium if needed. I am so glad she is OK :)

Edited by greyvettech

dosing does top out at 50mg/dog, according to most current practice.

This surprises me, and I realize that every dog is different as is the situation, but 50mg of Benadryl was not helping Wayne's allergies at all.

My vet has him on 100mg 3x a day and it's what got his allergies under control for this summer.

It's also never made him sleepy at all

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

I was advised by my former vet/employer (greyhound savvy) 50 mg of Benedryl every four to six hours if needed ... Again, every dog and human is different.

Always remember, that is why it is called ... "practicing medicine!"

Ace is to NEVER be given to a greyhound or any sight hound for that matter. I'm really surprised your vet didn't know this. Also, Boxers don't tolerate it well. I know some say it's ok in small doses...but why take the risk when there are other drugs to use? Amitriptyline can be given to greys and helps or valium if needed. I am so glad she is OK :)

Sorry but I'll go along with my vets, all of whom have been treating hundreds, if not thousands of track and pet greys for decades. Ace is okay with proper dosing.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Glad she's OK!!

My original vet used Ace on Cody when she went in for a teeth cleaning (she barked in the crate...) - the cleaning was at about 10am... they kept postponing the time I could pick her up. FInally had to get her at 6pm when they closed and they STILL had to CARRY her out to my car 'cause she was so out of it!!!

I switched vets immediately & made sure her NEW chart at the NEW vet said NO ACE!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest LindsaySF

Glad Aim is ok. That is scary.

My intended point being that *all* drugs can have undesirable side effects, and anything that has some depressant value should be used with care and watching till dog's response is known.

:nod

Glad Aim is ok. That is scary.

My intended point being that *all* drugs can have undesirable side effects, and anything that has some depressant value should be used with care and watching till dog's response is known.

:nod

And that also applies to OTC drugs that we use

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

In a book on SA from Patricia McConnell, PhD (the book is called "I'll be Home Soon"), shw states that Acepromazine does nothing but immobilize the dog.It does not treat the root cause of the anxiety, but makes the dog unable to do anything about it. So, the dog still panics when the owner leaves, but is immobile. Better drugs are amitrityline (brand name Elavil) or clomipramine (brand name Clomicalm). They help the anxiety, snd do not immobilize the dog (though they do cause drowsiness).

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.