Drug Warning...looking For New Vet

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

I want to share something that almost cost Aim her life. First, a little background. If Aim hears something, she wants to see what is making the sound. So, when we have thunderstorms, she paces around the house, looking up at the ceiling trying to see what is making all that noise. I finally decided to call our vet and get a prescription. My fiance, Tommy, picked up the prescription and put in the medical kit.

I ALWAYS look up any drug prescribed to our dogs before giving it to them. However, this time I failed to check it thinking I had time as we were over thunderstorms for the summer. I was wrong....last Friday afternoon, we had a pretty bad storm and Tommy gave Aim one of the new pills. Cut to me arriving home...

Aim's pupils were the size of her entire eye socket, she stumbled trying to get up and her back legs wobbled as she walked. I immediateyl jumped on the computer and looked up the drug, Acepromazine. You can imagine my horror when I read it is a drug that should be avoided in the giant breeds, boxers and greys. The rest of the evening was spent at the e-vet where they monitored Aim's blood pressue and heart rate. Acepromazine lowers blood pressure and slows the heart.

The prescription read to give 2-3 pills as needed. THANK DOG for once in his life, Tommy, did not go by the prescribed dosage. The e-vet told me had he, it would have killed Aim.

Our vet called us at 9:00 am Monday and admitted she had failed to check the breed on Aim's file and had just prescribed the dosage you would give any 78 lb dog!!!!! I will be finding a new vet for my two, nuff said. :angryfire

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Glad all is well. Ace should never be used on greyhounds, but a lot of vets do not know that.

I use Valium with great success, and it is very safe. Ask you NEW vet for that. I give 5 mg. for thunderphobia, and it works wonders.

Good Luck!

I'm sorry you had troubles with it, I use ACE all the time with my greyhounds and have for many years.

It's the only drug that my Lulu can take that keeps her calm enough for me to leave the house... she has wicked seperation anxiety and if she doesn't get her ACE when I leave, she has bloody diarrhea from the stress of me leaving the house. With the ACE, she has no bloody diarrhea.

I currently give her between 10 mg and 20 mg depending on how long I'm going to be gone.

I have, in the past, given 25 mgs for thunder phobia, the dogs can get up and eat and do potty but they sleep through the horrible storms.

Each dog should be started on a low dose and then you go up to what is theraputic for each individual dog.

The surgeon gave me Ace for Dude after his toe amp to help keep him quiet. It did absolutely nothing. He had no reaction at all, even when I gave him the max dosage. I don't remember the mg's but it seems like it was in 10mg pills.

I'm so sorry your girl had a bad reaction.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so glad she was OK!

Jim got ACE for thunderphobia and it did help him. He certainly wasn't uncoordinated - it was the one time he used to go upstairs, and hide in my son's room - BUT he got a tiny dose. About 5mg I think.

Shame on your vet for not checking. Don't blame you for finding a new one. We're moving on, too, because of mismanagement.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Ace is somewhat commonly used in greyhounds, albeit in lower dosages. If your vet isn't necessarily greyhound-savvy, that doesn't mean an automatic dump and lawsuit - you can educate him/her for future greyhounds, and work together on future issues. Greyhounds do have special medical considerations, for sure, but it's up to us as owners to stay on top of it, and to work with our vets. I'm sorry your grey had the reaction she did, but I think that wasn't the typical reaction, first of all, and I'd hate to see you lose an otherwise good vet over something like this. We tell our adopters that it's their responsibility to understand that greys are sensitive to particular drugs, because not all vets are going to know the particular requirements of all breeds.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Guest tricolorhounds

Our Orthopedic Surgeon has treated thousands and thousands of Greyhounds and has prescribed Ace for Savannah after every one of her surgeries.

I'm sorry your boy had a bad reaction but I agree with Valencia.

Guest KennelMom

Yikes! The overdosage would make me switch vets, no doubt. Ace can be deadly when overdosed. However, greyhounds can take ace. We've certainly used it before in certain situations...anxiety-type situations is NOT one I would use ace in. I've had greyhounds react exactly as yours did...and worse. So, it's one of those drugs I use cautiously and only in certain situations...and you should always start with a VERY low dose and work up to find the correct theraputic dosage for your dog and to gauge how they react with it to begin with.

I like to try valium first, in dogs who have thunder or other 'phobes.'

eta: A good reminder to familiarize yourself with a drug BEFORE you ever give it to your dog. I love and trust our vet...but they are human, as are the people who work in pharmacies. Check and double check everything before I put that pill down their throat. And its a good idea to discuss drugs you arent' familiar with with the vet before you ever leave the office - what is it, how does it work, what would a bad reaction look like, etc...

Edited by KennelMom

I want to share something that almost cost Aim her life. First, a little background. If Aim hears something, she wants to see what is making the sound. So, when we have thunderstorms, she paces around the house, looking up at the ceiling trying to see what is making all that noise. I finally decided to call our vet and get a prescription. My fiance, Tommy, picked up the prescription and put in the medical kit.

I ALWAYS look up any drug prescribed to our dogs before giving it to them. However, this time I failed to check it thinking I had time as we were over thunderstorms for the summer. I was wrong....last Friday afternoon, we had a pretty bad storm and Tommy gave Aim one of the new pills. Cut to me arriving home...

Aim's pupils were the size of her entire eye socket, she stumbled trying to get up and her back legs wobbled as she walked. I immediateyl jumped on the computer and looked up the drug, Acepromazine. You can imagine my horror when I read it is a drug that should be avoided in the giant breeds, boxers and greys. The rest of the evening was spent at the e-vet where they monitored Aim's blood pressue and heart rate. Acepromazine lowers blood pressure and slows the heart.

The prescription read to give 2-3 pills as needed. THANK DOG for once in his life, Tommy, did not go by the prescribed dosage. The e-vet told me had he, it would have killed Aim.

Our vet called us at 9:00 am Monday and admitted she had failed to check the breed on Aim's file and had just prescribed the dosage you would give any 78 lb dog!!!!! I will be finding a new vet for my two, nuff said. :angryfire

Thank goodness Aim's ok. How STUPD was/is your vet! Send her the e bill. She needs to own up to her HUGE mistake.

Guest EmbersDad

friggin scary! i hope you have success. when jed was alive, my vet said to give him a benadryl for the storms.

We've been using Ace for years in greys at reduced dosages with no problems. It's the dosage, not the drug that causes the problems. If your vet isn't aware of the issue, inform them even if you are planning to leave their practice.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Ace is a drug I won't use, but my concern using it for any phobia is the drug does not calm the phobia itself, it just sedates the dog so they can't display the fear, but they're still feeling the fear.

Other drugs work differently and actually calm the fear

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

OMG how utterly terrifying! :ohno :ohno :cry1

I second the suggestion to send your vet the e-vet bill. She's lucky she doesn't have a lawsuit on her hands. I would never ever forgive my vet if that happened to me. Luckily she is very grey-savvy and is known for looking every little single thing up before administering meds.

:grouphug Sooooo glad to hear that Aim is okay.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.