Good Thoughts For Riley

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking in too :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Lucy, update when you can. Riley's cowdoggie fans are thinking of you and hope all is well.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Sorry guys, I totally forgot that I had not updated you. Thanks so much for caring about my boy!

The vet did not find anything obviously wrong. She did some bloodwork and nothing came back abnormal. :confetti Right now he is on Previcox for his hind legs,in case the pain was causing the increased panting. I have not noticed any difference but it's only been a few days.

I wish I had come back to this thread sooner, b/c I did not know to ask about laryngeal paralysis. I did some research on it, and I think there is a good possibility that he has it. He does a crazy loud throat clearing noise multiple times a day, and has for awhile. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and ask her about it. I am trying to get a video of him doing the noise, and if I do I will post here.

Thanks again, I promise to be better about updating! :)

Edited by RileysMomma

Sorry guys, I totally forgot that I had not updated you. Thanks so much for caring about my boy!

The vet did not find anything obviously wrong. She did some bloodwork and nothing came back abnormal. :confetti Right now he is on Previcox for his hind legs,in case the pain was causing the increased panting. I have not noticed any difference but it's only been a few days.

I wish I had come back to this thread sooner, b/c I did not know to ask about laryngeal paralysis. I did some research on it, and I think there is a good possibility that he has it. He does a crazy loud throat clearing noise multiple times a day, and has for awhile. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and ask her about it. I am trying to get a video of him doing the noise, and if I do I will post here.

Thanks again, I promise to be better about updating! :)

Crazy loud throat clearing could also be esophageal reflux, which Frazzle had (in addition to LP).

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Poppy doesn't have laryngeal paralysis nor esophageal reflux but she does have trachial collapse (which I originally thought was the same as LP but it's not) :wacko: Anyway, she was put onto a bronchiodilator drug back in May and it seems to have made a really big difference. Might it be worth asking the vet about that?

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I have no idea, but my senior girl has been making that SAME horrible noise.... will watch to see what other folks think!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest BiancasMom

Sounds like Lar Par to me. That is the tell tale "gag" they do. This would be a good video to show your vet. There is a surgery available to help laryngeal paralysis dogs. Usually you need a referral to a veterinary surgeon. I hope Riley feels better soon!

Edited by BiancasMom

Sounds *exactly* like Frazzle when we first adopted him. Diagnosis at the time was gastroesophageal reflux - we gave him famotidine twice daily and that seemed to help. Now, Frazzle did eventually develop LP, but whether the two were related, I don't know.

Here is a

of Frazzle maybe a year or so before he had the tieback surgery, so the characteristic LP breathing is still mild (the colloquial name for LP in horses is roarer - because of the sound). However, if you turn up your volume and listen around 47 seconds in, you can hear the raspy breathing that eventually progressed in volume and frequency - we could hear him coming from yards away.

Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Here is a
of Frazzle maybe a year or so before he had the tieback surgery, so the characteristic LP breathing is still mild (the colloquial name for LP in horses is roarer - because of the sound). However, if you turn up your volume and listen around 47 seconds in, you can hear the raspy breathing that eventually progressed in volume and frequency - we could hear him coming from yards away.

Thank you so much for posting the video. First of all, how cute is he?? :wub: But yes, that breathing is exactly what Riley does ALL the time that has us concerned.

How was the surgery for Frazzle?

The surgery was fine, but he did develop aspiration pneumonia less than 24 hours after the surgery. The hospital we used keeps their tieback surgery patients for at least a day, to make sure they can drink and eat safely, so they caught his fever early and jumped right on it. Once he got home, he felt really good - his energy was high, and he was very playful again. The raspy breathing was totally gone - my regular vets were absolutely amazed.

And yes, Frazzle was cute. I've had the bestest goofy old men - first Marcus, then Frazzle, and now Blitz.

Oh, and Frazzle was 12.5 when the surgery was done.

Edited by dmswartzfager

lu, make sure that if you get the surgery done, that you get someone who has done the procedure many many times before. is there a large animal hostpital on the island?

I'm at work right now so I can't watch the video, but, I'll watch when I get home. I wonder if that's what's going on with Sutra...he'll make a weird gagging/horking noise sometimes. At least once a day I'd say. And lately when he's excited he's open mouth breathing...not really panting, per se. I had the windows open in the house because it's been nice but the house was getting up to about 77 degrees during the day. I closed up the house and turned the a/c back on and I keep it around 74 and I've noticed he doesn't open mouth breathe as much :dunno

He is due for his checkup in a couple of weeks so I'll ask the vet about it then. Hope you get some answers for Riley!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

lu, make sure that if you get the surgery done, that you get someone who has done the procedure many many times before. is there a large animal hostpital on the island?

I will. I really like my new vet, and she seemed very familiar with LP when I mentioned it to her. She asked that I bring Riley in 1 hr early tomorrow so she has time to hang out with him and make him feel comfortable before starting the procedure. I thought that was really nice.

If he does end up needing surgery, I will definitely make sure she is the best one to do it, or ask for a referral. She was awesome with Jabari's dental and is very aware of sighthound sensitivities, so I trust her.