Removing A Mole

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia has a mole I am pretty sure she didn't come with. She scratched it open and it bled and thats how we found it. The scab fell off, the left over mole was pretty small, but it is a bit larger now. It is small,,I know for people they say it should be smaller then a pencil eraser, which is is half that size. But its still larger then it was a week ago.

We are going to the vet next week to have it checked, and I want it removed but I don't want to pay a fortune and my vet , although good, may try to make me give her all kinds of things I think she shouldn't need for a procedure. Am I right in thinking he should just be able to freeze it off, no being knocked out or anything of that sort. What is normaly done for small moles and thier removal.

:huh2 Good Question, my GSP has one on his right front leg for about 4 years, no problems, once in awhile he will knock it and it bleeds, i have just left it alone, I'd like to see what some of the suggestions are, how about it Energy11?

if they freeze it then they can't test it, so I would guess they would 'hole punch' or cut it out. they would only need a very small part of it to test and if there were any issues they would go back and cut more.

it might not be a mole though...I forget what they are called but other people's greys have had these black things that bleed and then fall off. hopefully someone else will chime in with what I'm talking about...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Energy11

Dr. B used to removed them easily with the laser. He was certified in laser surgery. Quick and easy!

edited for spelling :-)) Up too early this morning!

Edited by Energy11

Guest Energy11
Vet #1: Gas anesthesia, removal, biopsy. Total bill: $550-650

Vet #2: Local, snip and discard, presume hemangiosarcoma. Total bill: $95

I opted for vet #2.

Yikes, on Vet number one! Dr. B used to laser them off, and send for biopsies of necessary.

I had several small skin growths removed from Marla a few years ago with only a local anesthetic and a laser. The lasered off the growths, sent them off for biopsy, and stapled up the small holes left behind. I got to help hold Marla during this, so I know she was fine throughout. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Vet #1: Gas anesthesia, removal, biopsy. Total bill: $550-650

I opted for vet #2.

Yikes, on Vet number one! Dr. B used to laser them off, and send for biopsies of necessary.

Same vet as the one that wanted something like $700-800 for general anesthesia and a special biopsy for Coco when he had that strange growth in his mouth. I asked for- and got- a script for an anti-fungal, but also had to take the antibiotic script (I should have said no to that, in retrospect) with a total bill of about $120.

P1010050.jpg

I mean, yes- precision is nice, and it beats an educated guess when one ultimately determines what to do. But the cost- financial as well as with the risk of gas anesthesia and the stress of surgery- sometimes you have to say, "There's nothing else it can be, so we'll go THIS route."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

if they freeze it then they can't test it, so I would guess they would 'hole punch' or cut it out. they would only need a very small part of it to test and if there were any issues they would go back and cut more.

it might not be a mole though...I forget what they are called but other people's greys have had these black things that bleed and then fall off. hopefully someone else will chime in with what I'm talking about...

Cutaneous hemangioma? Sunny's and Sophie's were both removed under GA. I had asked about local anaesthetic but the vet said if they did that they wouldn't be able to send it to the lab for identification, or that the lab wouldn't like it anyway. I wanted to know what they were and to be sure they got clean margins.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Here we usually do little things with a local (and maybe a bit of valium/similar); snip or laser depending on what the doc prefers for the item and its location. Biopsy runs @ $120. Vet and I discuss whether to biopsy or not. Most "what the heck is that???!" we tend to biopsy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Buzz has a big hangy one on his chest that I'm going to have removed on Friday when he gets his dental. But now I think I will ask the price before I do this!

Cutaneous hemangioma? Sunny's and Sophie's were both removed under GA. I had asked about local anaesthetic but the vet said if they did that they wouldn't be able to send it to the lab for identification, or that the lab wouldn't like it anyway. I wanted to know what they were and to be sure they got clean margins.

WHAT!!!!! Thats crap! A little local anesthesia. A punch bx if it is really small. Two seconds and MAAAABY a stitch. If its a little bigger, a small excision around the margin and a couple of sutures = 6 minutes. Both can be sent for biopsy. If there is the possibility that it may need some disecting or a bigger incision, then maybe a little propofol or short acting anesthesia. We gave Gus 70-90 mg of Propofol, he was out and breathing comfortably with not drop in BP and Mario was done in less than 10 minutes. Within 20 minutes he was waking up nicely and we were out in under an hour. Bear in mind we are talking about cutaneous lesions, not big bad stuff. The last on Gus had two weeks ago, Mario and I chit chatted while he used a little lidocaine and lasered it off in about 3 minutes. We did however, spend 30 minutes gossiping and talking trash and catching up on the latest greyhound stuff. For that visit, no charge.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest freightsmom

WHAT!!!!! Thats crap! A little local anesthesia. A punch bx if it is really small. Two seconds and MAAAABY a stitch. If its a little bigger, a small excision around the margin and a couple of sutures = 6 minutes. Both can be sent for biopsy. If there is the possibility that it may need some disecting or a bigger incision, then maybe a little propofol or short acting anesthesia. We gave Gus 70-90 mg of Propofol, he was out and breathing comfortably with not drop in BP and Mario was done in less than 10 minutes. Within 20 minutes he was waking up nicely and we were out in under an hour. Bear in mind we are talking about cutaneous lesions, not big bad stuff. The last on Gus had two weeks ago, Mario and I chit chatted while he used a little lidocaine and lasered it off in about 3 minutes. We did however, spend 30 minutes gossiping and talking trash and catching up on the latest greyhound stuff. For that visit, no charge.

I agree, Freightliner just had FIVE hemangiomas removed by a board certified dermatologist and she used a local in all five places with a stitch or two closing the excision wound. Two came back hermangiosarcoma and the rest just hemangiomas. In the pathology report it states "it is common for the tumours to progress from benign to malignant lesions and are likely solar induced" so I vote to be safe and have them removed.

Have to admit was it was expensive, over $500, but worth the peace of mind.

Sounds like our vet led me up the garden path - I guess he wanted to charge me as much as possible - but if your vet tells you a GA is necessary it's very difficult to argue with them. I've changed vets now so will have to see if the new ones are any better.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread :blush .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

If you do the punch biopsy, make sure your vet puts a stitch in--that shouldn't take more than a second. I had one done myself and the thing took forever to close over and heal because it wasn't stitched.

Another option is if a dental's coming up anyway, have it done then while she's already knocked out.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

If they are going to send it out to a pathologist for examination they will probably numb the area and do a punch biopsy or a shave biopsy.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I opted for vet #2.

This is what I did for Sahara. The vet did a needle aspirate (I think?) and saw no abnormal cells prior to the removal. Vet said since Sahara was so calm/passive they could do the removal with her awake. They cut a bit of surround skin off too, and I think she had two staples.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest FordRacingRon
If you do the punch biopsy, make sure your vet puts a stitch in--that shouldn't take more than a second. I had one done myself and the thing took forever to close over and heal because it wasn't stitched.

Another option is if a dental's coming up anyway, have it done then while she's already knocked out.

Yeah,,the thing I don't want to do is put her under in any way shape or form. To me it sounds like,,judging by most replies,,we will opt for the punch biopsy. This could be sun related but she only spends maybe 20 minutes a day in the sun,,not counting the walk,,and we put sunscreen on her.

She doens't need a dental and what little tarter she has I am going to try that stuff others here have tried to get rid of the tarter,,can't think of its name right now.

Today she tore 3 pads chasing a kitty,,,she had to put on the breaks before the gate,,kitty didn't. I am jsut neosporing the tears and wrapping them.

I wouldn't put her under just for this, I was just suggesting waiting if a dental is near.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.