Dempsey

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

I wish I had the words to honor Dempsey the way he deserves....

It absolutely stuns me that it's been a year since we said goodbye to our sweet hound. A year ago tonight, we had rushed Dempsey to the ER vet and around 1am on 8/28/2008, we said goodbye to that amazing dog. The past year has been rough for me... I've alternated between numbness, sadness, disbelief, anger, and actual rage. In my head, I know that we couldn't have done anything different and we did right by Dempsey, but my heart still aches.

For those of you who never knew Dempsey, he was truly extraordinary. You may have been lucky enough to be blessed with an irreplaceable dog- the one that will stick with you for life. For me, that dog was Dempsey. He was truly my best friend and we loved each other unconditionally. I would have done anything for him without question.

Demps came into my life during the first year of graduate school. It was honestly a miserable time for me. He had some "significant" issues with separation anxiety- to the point where I feared he would need to go into a home with another dog. But, that dog and I were destined for each other. He was with me through each miserable exam, graduation, the ending of an engagement, buying my first home, marriage, and every insignificant moment in between. No question, that boy was by my side.

Dempsey tolerated others and may have even liked some, but it was always clear that he was MINE. :) Dempsey might have come to you if you had a treat or an ear scritch, but if I walked into the room, he'd drop you in a heart beat to come to his mama.

I thought the worst day of my life was when I learned that Dempsey had osteo. He was 11 1/2 and it was right before Christmas. On January 16, 2008, we had the front leg amputated- again thought that was the worst day of my life. No one thought that I should have this surgery done. I knew my boy though and knew he would want to be with me as long as possible. He came through that surgery and took to being a tripod better than anyone- even I- could have expected. He was with me a little over 7 months after the surgery. He lost the use of his back legs and there was nothing that could be done....

I'm still working on letting of the anger and trying to accept that it is what it is.... Like I said before, there's been many signs from Dempsey.... My boy is waiting at the bridge for me and someday we will be reunited. :)

CSC_0073.jpg

HeatherDemps-1.jpg

DSC01643.jpg

Edited by HeatherDemps

Guest jerrybird

I remember your postings about Dempsey. He was a remarkable fellow and put up a good fight. You are blessed to have had such a special relationship with your boy. Remember the good times.

So very handsome.

Rest well, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 3greysinPA

f_yellow What a beautiful tribute to Dempsey, i feel your love :heart thruout the whole story... my love dog is my lilly and i share that same unconditional love.... so my heart :brokenheart breaks for you that you are without your special best friend. I'm so sorry that he had to leave you.. but he is pain free and running :gh_run and playing at having fun at the bridge and yes.. someday you will see him again... thank you for sharing your special story about Dempsey ... and the pictures are beautiful... :beatheart

Remember the love and the fond memories, for they will keep you going.. with deep sympathy now during the one year anniversary of the passing of your beautiful Dempsey. f_yellow

Guest EmbersDad

for dempsey...play it loud & proud!

take comfort knowing he is running with ember and they both have 4 good legs.....

Edited by EmbersDad

Guest LANDOLISA

I didn't know your Dempsey, but I am sure he was wonderful boy. He looked it in the Pictures.

I know your pain of loss and my thoughts and prayers are with you...

I remember all your posts about Dempsey too, and it really doesn't seem like a year ago. He looks so happy in those pictures!

:grouphug

Edited by Hawthorn

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

The year has gone by so quickly hasn't it. Emmy's anniversary was yesterday and I too have gone through those emotions during the past year.

I remember Dempsey well. I'm so sorry the year has been so rough. Many of us join you in honoring your sweet baby.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest car3fan

What beautiful pictures! i've lurked here for years, and i remember your posts on Dempsey. What a happy boy - great smile! i hope you take comfort that all our boys and girls are running free with no pain. I surely do!

Guest houndstooth4

I can sympathize so much! We lost Treat a year ago in May, and she was as close to me as you were to your boy. Coming home every day without her here was so hard! I made up my mind a bit to sort of let it go at the one year anniversary of her death. That's not to say that I don't want to think about her and remember all the wonderful times that we had together. I needed to let go of the pain part, though, and move on and live my life for me and for her. She was so full of life and she would not have wanted me to keep grieving for her. So, I wrote a blog about all the funny, wonderful memories I had of her and made up my mind to celebrate her life. I had really dwelled for a long time on the end of her life, the five or six weeks when she was sick before she died and the day I had to help her to the Bridge, and it was that part that I had to let go. When I read your posts about your boy, I always feel it tug on my heartstrings, because it's so close to how I've felt myself. I hope that you can move on to possibly love another hound at some point and to find peace for yourself! :grouphug

I cried so much when Dempsey died. :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 I still think about him. The pictures you had taken professionally were just so beautiful I have never been able to forget how they made me feel, and some days, when I feel that the world could use more love, I let my eyes soak up the love in those pictures and it helps me get through the day.

Heather sadhugsmiley.gifsadhugsmiley.gif:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

We miss you, Dempsey :(

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Hugs to you, Heather. I so enjoyed those very first posts when you first shared Dempsey with us. What a character!

I felt like Coach was there during my "growing up years", those first years of adulthood when exciting things are going on in your life. Coach and Cougar joined me shortly after graduation and marriage. They were there for all the good times. Frankly, while I have a blessed life, I am just not sure that I'll remember this decade with the joy I do my 20s.

I'm so glad you had Dempsey in your life, but so sorry about the pain that comes after they are gone.

He was an inspiration to many.

Hard to believe it's been a year.

Hugs to you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project