Miles Dental - Omg - Another Update Page 1

Guest GriffinsMom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy. Simon lost 22 teeth in a dental when he was 9 - he was drooling long strings of blood and looking so miserable afterwards I was just beside myself. It was like he'd aged 5 years in one day. He did bounce back, and besides having to soak his kibble for an hour before serving, he's no different. I'm sure Miles will be much happier once the pain of the dental passes and he can enjoy having a healthy mouth.

A 1.5" stick!? Good grief. Fate sent you to him - he needed you. Sorry about the bill...I know that surprise as well. :(

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Oh, poor, poor little guy! :cry1 He will feel sooo much better soon .. but .. a piece of stick!! How could they not know he was in pain? :(

I know how you feel. We adopted Jack at nearly ten, and he'd been taken back into rescue after years in a pet home, with a horrible mouth. He'd had a dental just before we got him, but he needed two more during the next year, and he ended up with all his front teeth, but only one on one side at the back, and three on the other. Just about enough to chew on. He was a very twitchy little dog and wouldn't allow much in the way of brushing, but he ate pig ears and dried tripe and dental treats almost right up to the very end, when he was thirteen and a half. It's amazing how they cope.

I hope poor miles feels better soon. Ice cream may not be the best thing if his gums aren't sutured shut. It's an ideal bacteria growth medium. Might be better to freeze some sticks of chicken broth to give him to 'gum' on. Check with the vet first.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon.

As for your wallet, well, let's hope he lasts for a good long time without any more big bills--I think his presence will be payment enough. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest barkdogs

My IG Sophia had to have all (as in--ALL) her teeth removed when I got her. They didn't even look like teeth--more like rocks. She also has a spay/abortion in the same surgery as my vet did not feel puppies (she was in poor health anyway and having puppies would not have been a good thing for her) and suspected a pyometria.

She was very weak after the surgery and needed a heating pad. 24 hours later she was a different dog. Mouths heal really quickly, thank God/Dog so I bet Miles will feel much better soon!

Guest GentleHugs

My poor senior girl Ashley only has her 4 canines left. Despite all of what we did to help her teeth out, she still ended up losing them. :(

But, she made it through surgery just fine and all of her pre-op bloodwork came back one of the best my vet has seen in a long time - especially for a Greyhound! :D She was 10 1/2 at the time of her dental and all the time she was under - I was having a quiet heart attack thinking something would go wrong and I would lose my girl. :(

She came home, kind of dopey but she ate/drank when the vet said it was ok - soaked kibble and took her meds like a good girl. I didn't even have to hide them in anything! By the next morning, she was up and playing with stuffies! By the next evening - she was like a new puppy all over again. :wub:

Now her smile is precious - even if she only has 4 teeth left! :rolleyes:

Healing prayers to Miles.....

Guest greyscot
Ask your vet if there is an antibiotic shot that they can give him. In the US, it's called Convenia. Poor guy, the less messin' with him right now, the better!

He has really been through the ringer, bless him, but like others have already said, he will be better off in the long run.

hugs to you both, and check in with updates when you can

~Pat

I agree about Convenia. It's an long acting antibiotic so saves messing with pills. It is much more expensive (at least it is in the UK) than antibiotic pills but one shot is the equivalent to a full dose of antibiotics. Hope your poor guy feels better soon - and I'll keep my fingers crossed you win the lottery :lol.

Guest paulamariez

Your poor precious Miles! Look at that sweet boy. He looks like he went through so much. Sending lots of healing prayers, love and light for Miles. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending him some healing doggie kisses.

Guest multigrey

Bless you for taking this lucky boy and "fixing" him. Give him a few days and he will be a new dog.....no more of that horrid bacteria going through his system.

Lots of good soft stuff around to feed him and make him happy.

Good job, mom!!

Ohhhhh, poor Miles. I hope he is doing ok tonight. I feel bad for you, but if misery loves company, we're at $6K in 6 months for Bumper...spinal issue we knew about when adopting him.

Good on you for taking great care of Miles. I wish him a speedy and easy recovery.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest luvdogs

you have to remember that because of the gum disease there was a lot of bacteria in his mouth which of course was being swallowed and going through his circulation system. In humans all that bacteria from gum disease can have side affects, such as heart disease, risk of stroke is increased, and a myriad of other systemic complications. I am sure it is NOT that different for a dog. He will be healthier for it and I also agree with the others, he will be freed from pain. He is lucky to have you!

Guest MyBoys

Miles will recover and when he does he will feel like a new man, thanks to you and your husband. Bless you for helping this boy, from what you have written this poor guy was very much neglected. You opened your hearts and home to him when he needed the help, again bless you for that. Hoping Miles recovers quickly and can once again be a happy healthy boy.

Guest Ashley

This story broke my heart when I read it at work this morning. If you are ever in Calgary again and need any help, Aadil and I would be glad to do what we can. I hope Miles heals quickly and easily.

I looked after Miles for a couple of hours this afternoon while Sharon had an appointment she couldn't miss. He was already starting to feel a bit better and managed to wag his tail and paw at me when I wasn't petting him enough. :wub:

There is such an innocence about him, and despite whatever he's been through... a great capacity to love. :beatheart

What an ordeal for all concerned! Hopefully this will set him well on the road to good health. Sending scritchies and nose kisses.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope Miles feels better soon! Sorry it was such an expense though...

My bridge girl Sicily also came to me from another home; she was 9 when I adopted her. Her teeth were a mess. The adoption group did a dental and pulled many teeth. Shortly after I got her she had to have many more pulled. I don't remember how many, but do remember the vet bill of $900! Anyway she ate great after she was all healed; including crunchy treats! She was so cute when she slept....her toungh fell out of her mouth. I still miss her.

Guest Energy11

Energy had about three teeth left in his mouth. He had a lot pulled at one time, like Miles, and it took a few days to heal. We gave him pain meds and soft food.

Love and hugs to Miles!

Guest longdoglady

Poor Miles, he will feel much better without those bad teeth and nasty stick, he must have been in so much pain.

Homeopathic arnica 30c tablets are great after any surgery or injury, helps heal the bruising. It is the only homeopathic medicine I have used which work. They cannot do any harm, taste nice, shorten healing time and can be given every two hours until improvement. They are safe to use with pain meds and antibiotics.

Don't know how to heal your wallet though other than that lottery win!