Hi From The Uk

Guest slimcilla

Guest slimcilla

Hi there

My name is Claire and I have 2 Greyhounds and 2 cats. The Greyhounds are Speedy who is almost 5, brindle, male and my total star, he has lived with me for almost 3 years. My second grey is Sparkie who is 3, blue with snowflakes, terrified of people and has been here for 2 months. The cats are Foxy who is a 9 and a half year old male Somali cat, I often call him twinkle toes as he has fur growing between his toes and as a Somali he is basically a fuzzy Abyssinian cat. The last beastie is monster moggy Dotty who bosses everyone else around, she is 4, tabby and female - a total Witch!

I live in Weston-super-Mare which is on the coast between England and Wales, I moved here from Edinburgh a few years ago when I got divorced. Where I live is really an estuary rather than by the sea but it's a popular tourist area. The tide goes out for miles and all that is left after the first 50 metres of sand is mud - and lots of it! Speedy likes playing in the mud occasionally and it's a revolting job cleaning him up after. Weston is often called Weston-super-Mud for that reason. I quite like it as there's a quieter area of the beach to walk the hounds on and there are lovely reservoirs and wooded areas a short drive away.

Anyway - I met a few people on Facebook that recommended this site and I have eventually got round to introducing myself and the beasties.. The hounds are hopefully visible in the pics below..

039_G.sized.jpg

Speedy

dscf0549.sized.jpg

Sparkie

CC x

Hi Claire! I'm in the UK too, near Peterborough. :)

Oh my goodness, Sparkle is adorable!! Look at that white ticking! Such an incredible colour, and gorgeous eyes! Of course, Speedy is stunning too, and I have a soft spot for brindles because of the floozy in my siggie. She and Jack are now gone (which broke my heart) and so has Jim, the one in my avatar, but we have Sid now who is doing a grand job of filling the empty space here.

Welcome to GT! It's a great board. :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest KyGrey

Hi Claire! :wave

I'm glad you decided to check it out here and join. I told you there were others in the UK here along with other countries.

Patti

Hi Claire! I'm in the UK too, near Peterborough. :)

Oh my goodness, Sparkle is adorable!! Look at that white ticking! Such an incredible colour, and gorgeous eyes! Of course, Speedy is stunning too, and I have a soft spot for brindles because of the floozy in my siggie. She and Jack are now gone (which broke my heart) and so has Jim, the one in my avatar, but we have Sid now who is doing a grand job of filling the empty space here.

Welcome to GT! It's a great board. :thumbs-up

Judy,

You were one I thought of when she said she is in the UK, you and Angie (Mommydog). :)

The Doyle's slipped my mind but they are there too.

Guest Heehoo

Patti, I found her!!!

Hi Claire! Welcome to Greytalk from the Memphis, Tennesse, USA area!

I'm on Facebook too, but we're kinda mad at each other right now.

I loooooooooove Greytalk more!

Edited by Heehoo

Guest EmbersDad

hi claire

i had the pleasure of visiting your wonderful country back in feb. i was in london, liverpool, manchester and oldham. if you hang around here a bit, im sure you will run into my friends from oldham. welcome to greytalk. its a wonderful place. keep the pics of your beasties coming ( and include the countryside if possible :-0))

Guest StagnBob

Hi there, and welcome!

I'm in the UK too but further north ( Nottinghamshire).

Your hounds are both beautiful, I have an oldie with white speckles like Sparkie, but he doesn't have any on his ears - they are so cute!!

Look forward to hearing your stories and seeing more piccies.

Hi Claire :wave

Yet another UKer here. Your dogs are lovely - the blue one with specks is very unusual. We used to go to Weston super Mare for holidays when I was a child but I can't really remember it very well (long time ago!). Never heard it called Weston super Mud, but that's very funny! :lol

I'm sure you'll enjoy GreyTalk.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

hi claire

i had the pleasure of visiting your wonderful country back in feb. i was in london, liverpool, manchester and oldham. if you hang around here a bit, im sure you will run into my friends from oldham. welcome to greytalk. its a wonderful place. keep the pics of your beasties coming ( and include the countryside if possible :-0))

Oldham calling :D

Welcome to GT :wave

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Welcome from Maryland in the USA!

NEXT trip to England, I hope to be in your area!! (Not this year though...)

your hounds are beautiful - and I'd LOVE to see pix of the kitties - especially the somali cat!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest slimcilla

Gosh - what a welcome! I belonged to a Greyhound forum in Scotland but they were quite small by comparison to GT. I lost a Saluki puppy last year and now find it difficult to visit that forum as it reminds me of him too much..

Sparkie is a very hansom hound with his paint flecks but is horribly frightened of people he doesn't know. He is getting better, but I think it's going to take quite a while for him to stop wanting to run away every time we walk past strangers. Apart from that he is very well behaved and nothing like the chewing, howling loonie that Speedy was when I got him. After a lot of hard work Speedy is now a total angel and he goes off lead on the beach most days and often comes back at an impressive 40mph when called.

Sparkie has been off lead twice on very quiet days on the beach and was very good but I'm not sure I will ever trust him as much as Speedy, it depends on how he settles down with meeting new people and animals. In his favour he likes to chase squeaky balls so I have a way of distracting him. He is also teaching Speedy that playing is fun; Speedy often isn't too sure but it's getting better every week.

The difference between the two hounds is quite amazing.. They are both related to I'm Slippy so share quite a few relatives. Speedy is finer built than Sparkie as he is more slender but Sparky is a clumsy oaf by comparison; it's like comparing a thoroughbred horse with a cart horse. Speedy wags his tail left and right but Sparkie does what I call a Helicopter round and round wag.. I always thought Speedy was very affectionate but Sparks is a total cuddle monster and demands attention at every opportunity, I often have to ignore him or Speedy will sulk. They both make me laugh and I am secretly adoring Sparkie - but don't tell Speedy!

This is Speedy's Greyhound-data page: Speedy

This is Sparkie's Greyhound-data page: Sparkie

Speedy's mum was an Irish dog that was brought over to Scotland so he is a UK dog with a tattoo in just 1 ear whereas Sparkie is a proper Irish dog with tattoos in each ear. Speedy wouldn't chase so got retired at 2 but Sparkie has won a few races but was sold to someone in England and then got retired just after he was 2 - I don't know why but hope to find out. Sparks lived in a home for a few months before I adopted him but was given up for some reason.

The cats like both hounds but they love Speedy best as Foxy often sleeps on top of him, I have attached more piccy's but they are a bit fuzzy as off my phone.. The cats are still a little unsure of Sparkie when he trips over my shoes or tries to sniff their bottoms for too long but they both are keen to educate him as to what is acceptable or not and he is learning fast.

Sorry for the long post - I adore my hounds and am very proud of them..

137_G.sized.jpg

Speedy, Foxy and Dotty

138_G.sized.jpg

Speedy and Foxy

So lovely to hear from so many UK people! I am very aware of the time difference between the UK and USA so was asleep when most of the USA people posted but amazed at how many UK people have posted today..

CC x

Well, look at that! Your Speedy is related to my Renie, whose sire was Trade Official, and Sparkie is related to my Jack, whose sire was Flashy Sir. Funnily enough, I had one English and one Irish dog too, but it was the other way round. Renie was Irish, Jack was English! :lol

Oh, and Slaneyside Hare is Sid's grandsire!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

:welcome from Nottingham

Sparkie & Speedy are gorgeous, kitties pretty cute too :wub: ( :ph34r shussh don't tell Hector & Throp i said that :blush there not so fond). My boys are related to both via Head Honcho/Vintage Prince and i love the name of speedy's sire "Trousers" :lol:

Hector & Throp are litter brothers, but are very different personality wise which is great as i think if both were same of either type it would be too much. Throp was similar to sparkie with strangers when he first came home and would try to bolt if we stopped to talk or they came towards him, but has improved so much in the 2yrs since. He can still be a bit reserved and backs off slightly if people rush towards him (usually excitable children), but was very happy doing a county show M&G recently, he's also total snugglebug at heart. I hope Sparkie will eventually be able to feel comfortable around new people too :goodluck

:lol I love the pic of foxy and his speedy bed :inlove you wouldn't think skinny greys would make a comfortable resting place, but i guess its heated.