Interceptor V. Heartguard ?

Guest IrskasMom

Guest IrskasMom

I just came home from the Vet and he explained to me , that they are fading Heartguard out and replacing it with Interceptor.

The Main Ingredient (Heartg ) is not always well tolarated by Dogs and also Interceptor kills more of the common Parasites , like Hookworm

Whipworm . Thou I bought Interceptior and would like to hear some Opnion from Users.

Edited by IrskasMom

I use interceptor, I like the added benefit of killing the other stuff as well.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Harry702

Harry's always been on Interceptor, too. No problems here. It's nice to be able to put worms at the bottom of the list of likely reasons why his poop sucks. :rolleyes:<_<

Guest KennelMom

For greyhounds, either is fine. Collies and collie mixes shouldn't take Heartguard (or any Ivermectin based HW prevention) unless they've been tested for a genetic sensitivity (though I think many people just recommend not to give Ivermectin to collies/collie mixes to be safe).

Guest Energy11

I just switched from Sentinel (because I could no longer afford it, not working for a vet) to Iverheart Max, which covers ALL worms, including tapes! So far, I like it.

Guest JarBear

Interceptor here. Since we almost always have a foster I like the extra protection since most of the dogs we get in are full of all kinds of parasites.

Another vote for Interceptor-doesn't kill tapeworms, though. No side effects in my experience.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest paulamariez

We used to give our hounds the Heartguard, but after a bout of hookworms, our vet said that Intercepter was the better choice. So our three boys have been on the Intercepter for the last 3 years with zero problems.

Guest mandm

My vet carried only Heartguard until recently, so I had to go out of my way to get Interceptor. But I did, since Interceptor protects against whipworm and Heartguard doesn't. Well worth the additional expense and, for me, inconvenience. Whips are the worst.

I have also heard recently, although I don't know for certain that it's true, that there is less danger in giving Interceptor to a dog who has heartworms then Heartguard. I had learned that giving heartworm preventative to a dog that was infected would likely be deadly, which is why you always need to get the yearly test, but supposedly it's less dangerous with Interceptor. Not that any of us aren't keeping our pets on preventative and getting yearly tests like good owners anyway, just throwing that out there as another difference. :)

ETA: In case this wasn't clear, I'm not suggesting anyone try to "treat" a heartworm infected dog with either one, I was just referring to situations where it would be accidental, like you forgot to give a dose and in the meantime, the dog became infected.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest budsmom

Always used Interceptor here, too, with no problems. My vet strongly recommends it when you have more than 1 dog since worms of all kinds are really contagious, and you get the extra protection from more kinds of worms with it.

Guest LindsaySF

I used to give Heartguard but we kept getting recurring hookworms. On Interceptor now. No side effects with either.

There is actually research out there about using both medications to stunt the growth of adult heartworms. It won't kill the adults or cure the dog, but it is sometimes used in conjunction with the standard heartworm treatment because it kills the worms off more slowly.

Guest eaglflyt

We're currently using Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention and it's also good for roundworms and hookworms. We may switch to Interceptor in the future, but our dogs (6) have all checked out parasite free with each vet visit over the past few years.

Guest IrskasMom
My vet carried only Heartguard until recently, so I had to go out of my way to get Interceptor. But I did, since Interceptor protects against whipworm and Heartguard doesn't. Well worth the additional expense and, for me, inconvenience. Whips are the worst.

Maybe you could order Interceptor Online ? PetMeds and many more !

Guest mandm

Maybe you could order Interceptor Online ? PetMeds and many more !

My vet used to write a script and I would order it from KV Pets. But my vet now carries it, I chuckle that it was probably on account of my greyhounds bringing whips into the neighborhood. I buy it from the vet now. It's a little more expensive than online, but I'd rather give her the business.

Guest Grhndad

Been using interceptor for the past 12 years with no problems. It's what my vet recommended when we got our first grey in 1997.

My vet recommended Interceptor when I got Oreo in 2001. It's all I've used for my dogs.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest D_MansMommy

Interesting. I have always used Heartguard-plus. Donovan is almost 9 and TC will be 8 in a few weeks, I'm not messing with their meds at this time.

Guest MAXNAV

I've always used Interceptor based on the fact that I had a collie, and there have been some sensitivity issues to ivermectin. I still use Interceptor for my grey.