What Happened To Jed

Guest EmbersDad

I'm so sorry this happened and having been there more than once, I know you're probably still somewhat in shock.

I've lost two dogs to visceral hemangiosarcoma. The first, my greyhound Chloe showed absolutely no sign that anything was wrong until she began having trouble breathing at 5:00 am on a Sunday morning. The day before we had taken a long walk, she had played like a maniac with her stuffies, she eaten both meals with her usual gusto ... there was absolutely nothing to indicate that she was sick in any way. And two weeks prior to this she had an annual checkup and a senior blood panel. Everything was "normal".

When she became restless and seemed to have trouble breathing, I rushed her to the e-vet. Their hugely expensive work up showed nothing definitive. They kept her overnight and then called me and said her breathing was stable and told me to come and get her. I annoyed them by questioning them about what had caused this episode and was frustrated when their response was they didn't know, but she seemed ok now. I paid my huge bill and left still concerned about her. She collapsed in the parking lot before I could get her to my car. I carried her back in and demanded somebody do something! The second series of blood work showed nothing definitive, but her platelet numbers were lower. At that point I insisted on an ultrasound to see what was going on inside her. And there it was -- tumors in her spleen and heart and lungs (hence the trouble breathing). At that point she began to hemorrhage and I let her go.

It took me a long time to accept that she'd been sick for a while and I didn't know it. It took even longer for me to accept that her body could be full of cancer and all her tests and lab work come back in the normal range. I also had difficulty wrapping my mind around the fact that she could be dying at the e-vet, of all places, and they wouldn't know was wrong and even more unbelievable was the fact that had she died without my asking for the ultrasound they wouldn't have known what killed her.

I was angry with myself and angry with them for a while. After reading about this cancer and it's reputation as the "silent killer" I forgave us all. I don't know if this is what took your boy, but I wish you peace. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest hannahmom

Tom, as you know, my sweet Chinghis passed due to hemangiosarcoma.

His symptoms sound almost identical to your dear boy.

as galgrey said

It took me a long time to accept that she'd been sick for a while and I didn't know it. It took even longer for me to accept that her body could be full of cancer and all her tests and lab work come back in the normal range

Hemangiosarcoma displays few, if any symptoms, and when one of those hated tumors ruptures, there is little that can be done. Chinghis saw his regular vet and was sedated and on the operating table within 30 minutes of him displaying the first sign of discomfort. They told me that my bestest boy was full of tumors, but that they could remove enough to give him some limited, pain-filled time if I wanted. I chose not to.

Do not distress yourself with what if's and if onlys - Honor your Jed for the love he gave and got

Sending tons of hugs and wishing I could help with the pain, while knowing I can't

PM me if you want to talk

Tena

Edited by hannahmom

Guest ss556

Tom, Alan died from hemangio. He ate his dinner at 6:30 and at 7:10 he couldn't get up off his bed. I posted here soon after that, "somethings wrong with alan" to get some help or ideas here. He seemed uncomfortable, panted a bit, but he ate ice cream (I thought maybe he had another mild seizure), he was very thirsty and just wasn't "right". We took him to the evet and she did tests and the ultrasound showed a heart based tumor and another tumor which was bleeding into his belly. It happened so fast, it was so hard to take. Our options were surgery (if he would make it through) could give him a month, with chemo added, MAYBE 3 months. We made our decision. When we have no time to prepare for death, in our pets or humans, there are always questions. I wish you knew for sure what happened to Jed. I try to be greytful that it happened fast, for Alan's sake anyway.

Tom - I just saw this...

I'm so sorry! Hugs to you & Althea...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Just wanted to say again how shocked and saddened we were to read of Jed's passing......

There's so much pain and loss on this thread it is so sad, sending our heartfelt sympathy to everyone.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest StarsMama

Our Springer had hemangio. He had several bumps over his body that the vet always just dismissed as "benign fatty tumors"--and this was before he stopped eating and showed any symptoms of being sick.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Hope

I am so sorry for your loss, Tom. I cannot help figure out what happened with Jed, but I can sympathize with all of the Hemangiosarcoma losses. It really is a sudden and shocking killer. We lost our handsome brindle hound, Chester in early April of this year to hemangiosarcoma. He showed a loss of appetite, some back end trembling, a bit of weakness and he just wasn't right. We dropped him at the vet for a work up and the x-rays showed fluid in his chest wall. Because my vet didn't have a very good ultrasound we transferred Chester to the emergency vet and the ultrasound showed masses throughout his abdomen on his spleen, liver and heart. We took only a few minutes with him to say goodbye before we had to let him cross the bridge. We still find it hard to believe that we lost our big handsome guy so quickly. He was eight and a half years old.

Guest VirginiaGreys

no answers, but lots of hugs :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

So many of us are grieving...for those we've lost or are about to..............

Guest longdoglady

I'm so very sorry for your loss, the shock of having what you thought was a fit dog die so suddenly is heartbreaking. The " what ifs " are hard to come to terms with, we beat ourselves up for not knowing there was something so very wrong, their not being able to tell us makes it so much worse.... but we did everything in our power and loved them so much, they would want us to live in the present as they did, to grieve and then remember them with joy. I hope you find the answers you need to begin the healing process.

In memory of Jed and all the dogs we love and miss.

Linda

I lost my ReRun the day after his 12th birthday (on Bob's birthday) to a heart tumor. On his birthday he wanted to sleep in - not unusual. I got back in bed and snuggled with him - actually falling back to sleep for almost an hour. I'm glad I did. He rarely let me sleep holding him - that day - he did. Maybe he knew. He woke up - got off the bed and just lay on the floor panting. The ER was about 30min drive - and a new vet just down the street opened up in about 45mins - so I waited and took him there - thinking the drive would be just has hard on him. I wondered how to get a 100lb dog down the stairs and up into the truck by myself - but he did it all for me. He was filling up with fluid and he still seems more worried about me than himself. The vet sent us to the er after taking xrays and draining him a bit. The ER had a cardiologist come in for a meeting (just by chance) the next morning.... so we waited - we wanted to be sure we were doing the right thing and giving him all the chances we could. But it was too large and in the wrong place. He said these can be miroscopic for years and one day - it's huge.

ReRun's favorite day of the year next to Christmas was his birthday. I'm sure he thought of it as a gift to us to share his favorite day and his Dad's birthday with us in a special way .... they think of death as something different than we do. It's not an ending for them. It's a new beginning. A new way for them to do so much more than they can do here. We just have trouble understanding that. So it's their gift to us when they can make it special and quick....... but it hurts us so much to say good bye that we can't and don't want to understand it. We don't call these pups our angels for no reason at all.... there's a good reason for it. They've earned it. We have to be here longer because we still have to learn what they already know. How to love and care and live life for all that it is.

So.... we honor our angels by loving others and living life. (even if it doesn't make it easier to go on without them). Hugs Tom and Althea........

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

There's so much pain and loss on this thread it is so sad

:nod I am crying reading through this. I am so sorry for everyone who has had to go through this. Tom, I'm sorry you don't know for certain what happened with Jed - I know I would find it really difficult. At least understanding what happened always helps me in a situation where I am dealing with grief and loss. The suddenness is another obstacle. I hope you're able to accept that you did what you could and gave him a good life in the brief time you had him. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Tom, I completely understand you trying to make sense of a situation that makes no sense at all. When I read your post the night Jed passed my first thought, especially when you mentioned the 2 lacerations in his mouth, was a snake bite or some sort if insidious insect/spider bite. I don't know if that is even possible, but that was my first impression.

It's still such a shock, my thoughts are with you.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014