Oh, What A Night

Shortly after eating about 1/2 of her dinner, Mandy started gagging, pacing, whining, licking her lips, biting at her midsection, drooling, and panting. This went on for about 30 minutes. I worried about the possibility of bloat. She then started retching big-time and I noticed a big lump in her throat. I pried her mouth open, which she didn't like and rewarded me by throwing up on me. This is only the 2nd time in 4 years she has vomited. I kept watching her and she continued with everything except biting at her midsection. I decided to take her to the Emergency Vet. I called and told them I was on my way and luckily they were in a bit of a lull, so they took her back immediately. They did x-rays and an exam. Luckily, although there was some gas and material in her stomach and small intestines, the stomach was in the normal position. Her spleen was slightly enlarged. The doctor told me it didn't appear Mandy was bloating at that time, but she was unsure if she had gastric dilation that improved after vomiting or if there was some other cause. She told me they'd prefer to keep her overnight to monitor and administer fluids. I was worried that she would be so stressed that she'd get worse. The Vet agreed that may be the case, but that if I noticed the symptoms not improving, I needed to get back right away.

So, I have my girl home now. She looks like Quasimodo with her hump of SubQ fluids and is zonked out from the pain/anti-nausea meds. She did belch in my face before she laid down, she is the embodiment of feminine charm and grace.

I'm praying I was just being a nervous nellie who wanted to spend $500 tonight.

Mandy and I would appreciate good thoughts that it really is nothing.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest myIrishlass

Wow, you have had some excitement! I hope and pray that it was a one-time thing that came from left-field. Sending lots of love and light your way and hope for a good outcome to your e-vet adventure.

How scary! You did the right thing rushing her over there. I lived through a food bloat with my non-grey, Sheila. I would never wish that on anyone and I hope to never have another bloat experience again with any of my dogs. I hope all is well with her and this was a fluke.

Maybe get something like Gas X just in case.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest kydie

Poor baby, hope she is O.K., I don't blame you I would have done the same thing, and gone right to the vet. crossed fingers here in Pa

Guest agroshong

Beverly -- hope that Mandy and you are both feeling better after a few hours of good sleep this morning. You know you can call me if you need anything at all!

Guest TurnerMiller01

wow.. :eek what a night... so glad she is ok and home with you. :) .. hugs to you and her... :grouphug:grouphug

how is she this morning.?? :huh

Guest Energy11

Gez what a night, Amy!

Now is she this morning? MIGHT want to give her a Gas-X, like one of the others said. I'd keep a VERY bland diet today with her. Sounds like it could have been early bloat, ... The Sub-Q fluids WILL absorb :-) I know they look "funky!"

Take care and keep us posted! Dee

Thanks for the good thoughts. Mandy is feeling better, though not 100%. She is eating the small meals of chicken and rice I've offered. Knowing how she doesn't do well with any disruption to her schedule/routine, it will probably take a few days for her to get back into the swing of things. She's passed quite a bit of gas from both ends and her abdomen feels normal, not tight like it did last night.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

You are not kidding- WHAT A NIGHT and how scary it must have been. So glad she is on the mend.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest trevdog

Glad to hear she's feeling better.....been there more than once and yes gas-x can help. I'd have some on hand in case it happens again....

been there :( :( :(

glad she's doing better! sending more healing thoughts! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway