Rainey's Peeing In The House -- Any Advice?

ok....

I'm posting this here instead of Training, at least first, since I'm hoping it may be more of a medical issue.

here's the poop:

Rainey is 8, will be 9 in October. We've had her since May of 2005, and discovered she has urinary incontenance shortly thereafter, and she was put on DES (1 MG every 5 days) and has done wonderfully on it. Rainey stays in the downstairs family room, tri-level, open layout (so she's not "locked" in a closed room per se )-- we have the upstairs baby gated off and the doors shut to other rooms down there, and now pretty much all things removed that she could chew on, since back in March we went through a few disasters (if you remember the garlic incident). Rainey is home a max of 6 hours every work day (sometimes 15 minutes later if I have to work OT or stop at the store, but that is rare). When we first got her, she easily made it for 9 hours and until this, easily made 6, which I don't think is that long?

She's had maybe 4 accidents in the past 4 months, all where we probably didn't restrict water beforehand as well as she should, and all 4 times we were gone about 5 -6 hours. However, she has gone 5 times in the past week and a half, twice last week, twice this week (yesterday and again today) and the other time was late in the week before last. We are totally restricting water, pulling it up at 8:30pm the night before (and she has no access during the day). She goes out when I get up to feed Nuber at 5:15am, then again before Bruce leaves at 7am.

She shouldn't have anything in her to go, but yet she is going, and going fairly heavy. With the incontenence, she just peed while sleeping, so it's different. I brought a urine sample in this morning (1st pee of the day for her) and they didn't see any infection, which is what I was hoping the problem is. The dr. did start her on a 7 day antibiotic treatment (Amoxicillin) as he said sometimes the infections just don't show up? and it can't hurt to try it. After the 7 days, if she's still having issues, he said they may culture the urine to see if they see anything that way.

I guess my question is, has anyone else ever had this happen? Either peeing all of a sudden inside or a UTI that didn't show up? If the antibiotics don't work, I don't know whether I should start looking for behavioural issues, or ?

I love my little girl with all my heart and she could pee every day and I would happily clean it up since she's my baby -- :) (and it's actually nice to post in here about something that is NOT a life-or-death emergency for one of these guys :rolleyes:) but obviously I'd like to have it stop :)

thanks in advance !

Kim

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Energy11

Sounds like it MIGHT be a UTI (urinary tract infection). When Oakly had his, he WOULD pee in the house, ... even though we were here, I guess we missed his "signals!" I'd at least take a urine sample into the vets and go from there! Good Luck!

They should have cultured it today.

I assume they are keeping up with blood work since she is on DES?

I don't know, maybe they didn't because no infection was present ?

and yes, they were checking the bloodwork every 6 months, and she was actually JUST in on this past Friday (7/3) and the dr. said that it only needs to be done yearly, 6 months is over kill....?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

While a UTI is the most logical reason for the urinary issues you are describing, her sugar could also be off or there may be some slight kidney issues. Do you know what bloodwork was done? Were chemistries like glucose and BUN included?

I've had several UTIs here (various girls) that did not show up on initial tests or even on a culture. I know they were UTIs because I know my girls' behaviours, and (more importantly) because the peeing stopped shortly after the medicine started.

I hope Rainey's symptoms disappear. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

We have had apparent UTIs that didn't show anything on test (or culture) and that cleared up with antibiotics.

It might be worth checking her blood pressure as that is yet one more thing that could make a dog pee on what seems like little intake.

Hope you can get to the bottom of things for your sweet girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lukiesmom

Kim, my cousins dog was having the same problems. She thought she couldn't potty train her. No UTI showed up. They put her on Amoxicillin for 10 days. It looks like it did the trick. Hopefully, it will get corrected with the Amoxicillin.

Give her a little kiss from me.

Guest Javagirl
ok....

I'm posting this here instead of Training, at least first, since I'm hoping it may be more of a medical issue.

I guess my question is, has anyone else ever had this happen? Either peeing all of a sudden inside or a UTI that didn't show up? If the antibiotics don't work, I don't know whether I should start looking for behavioural issues, or ?

thanks in advance !

Kim

Hi there,

We also had mystery accidents! We think Laddie has had a UTI because his accidents just came so out of the blue. He started having accidents nearly every day (white carpet, YIKES!) while we were at work and he has never had something like that happen before - and he was crying really early in the morning, like 5am when he is still usually snoring. We had a urine analysis taken, blood work up, full check up and the result? A very healthy young man. All readings were normal except the Dr. said that it was obvious that he was drinking a lot because the urine analysis resembled water. So ($450 later :mum ) we have had him on anti-biotics for 7 days with another week to go. He has responded very quickly and quite well.

Good luck! The Dr. did mention that it was really hard to diagnose a UTI and they had to rule out other things first to try and narrow down the situation.

Kristyn and Laddie

I will never understand why they don't culture despite what they see. So many times they see no bacteria, grow a culture and there it is.

It also tells them which antibiotic to use to knock it out.

Hoping Rainey feels better.

Also, I know that people feel differently about this, but I really believe that we shouldn't restrict water

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest myIrishlass

This is a long-shot, but since my Poppi has it I am sensitive to the peeing in the house: Cushings disease. Is Rainey any more lethargic than normal? Hungrier than usual? Gaining a bit of weight especially in the belly?

well, I'd posted a reply but it must have went were unmatched socks go <_< Glad to hear others have had undiagnosed UTI's that were helped by meds. :)

This is a long-shot, but since my Poppi has it I am sensitive to the peeing in the house: Cushings disease. Is Rainey any more lethargic than normal? Hungrier than usual? Gaining a bit of weight especially in the belly?

If I had been able to post this this morning, I would have said NO she's just fine! But I came home to a not-so-good Rainey, she's definitely off and not feeling well. Plus there was some diarrehea in the yard, I think it was from her (she goes after I leave in the morning) :( I don't know whether the meds are making her not feel well, or what :sad1 I'm very in tune with how they are feeling and I can tell she's not "right"...Bruce can too. She's just very much not herself... :( She's only had 4 of the amoxicillin pills so far? I don't know :(

she did eat (as usual), her hunger is 24/7 so I can't tell if she's hungrier, and she seems about the same weight. If she's not doing better by tomorrow, I may bring her in. We have a GUR in the morning (thankfully a short one! :)) but I'll be worried about her the whole time :(

Before taking her in, might want to just call the vet and see if s/he wants to change antibiotics. Sometimes it is just that. Fingers crossed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

she seems more like herself today :) hoping it was just an "off" day....I know I sound crazy, but the other times I've thought they weren't feeling good were bloat (both of them) and pancreatitus (Rainey) so..... :unsure:

she at least hasn't peed the last 2 days! :yay :yay yesterday was the regular 6 hour day, today was only around 4 for the GUR, but I'm encouraged!!! :)

hope she continues to feel better :)

How's she doing this morning?

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org