Depression Or Something Else?

I'm concerned about Solo. It's been three weeks since Rusty's been gone and Solo has turned into a different dog. He is no longer my "Silly Solo". He did start eating a few days after Rusty left us, so that was a good sign. The last two weeks though he doesn't seem like himself. I know this is kinda funny to say about a greyhound, but all he does is lay around. He doesn't do any of his silly little things he used to do. He's also had a little bit of an upset tummy, but that was less than 24 hours. He's also been panting a lot, but it's not been overly warm this week, actually it's been on the cooler side. He still wants to go on his walks, but a couple of times he only wanted to go a few houses down and then come home.

I'm wondering if I am just truly seeing his age now that old man is gone, or if Solo is really depressed. I feel so bad for him.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest Energy11

Could be depression. When my friend's dog went to The Bridge , her girl just stopped eating much, and pretty much laid around. This went on for about two weeks, until my friend got another senior. This really seemed to help pep her girl up, and she was fine again.

Hard to really say. The panting causes some concern. Maybe a vet visit would be in order, just to be sure.

Solo just might need a new brother or sister! Good Luck!

Sounds like he is still morning. Gypsy and Dreamy both had a hard time after we lost Clark. They both acted differently. Dreamy took to going up and laying on the bed alone (she still does this occasionally now). Gypsy ate very little, sometimes nothing and needed lots of extra cuddles. She did not want to be alone.

Every dog is different just like people.

Perhaps taking Solo on a walk to someplace totally different will help? It may help you also, I'm sure you are still grieving.

We lost Clark in April and I still have days that are hard.

:grouphug

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

It's a big change in his life--and he's no doubt also reading a different vibe from you.

I'm sure he'll be OK--he just needs some time. Maybe do something special this weekend, just the two of you?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11
It's a big change in his life--and he's no doubt also reading a different vibe from you.

I'm sure he'll be OK--he just needs some time. Maybe do something special this weekend, just the two of you?

I like the idea of doing "something special," maybe a ride in the car/van, and a walk in the park if weather permits? Just would be good for both of you to get away from "the memories." for a while.

Hard to really say. The panting causes some concern. Maybe a vet visit would be in order, just to be sure.

Agreed!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Winterwish

I'm sorry to hear Solo shows signs of being so sad. It must be so hard for each of you. Maybe you could roast some chicken to add into his meal? Smells are so important and enjoyable to dogs. Maybe even just for a couple of days that would be something cheerful for him?

You could reheat the chicken fro the next day or two,in the oven on low is better then the microwave,so the aromas go about the house. Maybe soemthing like that?

:grouphug

Guest GentleHugs

When our Romeo died, we thought Jackie would be ok as an only hound. Nope. She became very depressed. She would eat but not with the gusto as she did when Ro was with us. She would go for walks but not with the same level of excitement when Ro was with us. She stopped playing with her toys and all she would do was lie there unless you called her over to you. I also babysat another hound a few days out of the week and when she came over, Jackie perked up. But when she went back home, Jackie got depressed all over again.

So.... we took Jackie to a couple of local meet and greets to see if we could perk her spirits up a bit. It helped a little but nothing real obvious.

Then, we took her to the adoption kennel one day so she could get her own Greyhound fix and to play with other Greys. Guess what happened? She found who she was looking for! Out of 45 dogs, the last one to be let out to meet her was the one and only dog she fell in love with! He changed her back to our old Jackie!

It took a few days but finally we took her back just to make sure and viola! It was true! She fell in love with a big huge boy named Heisman and from that day on - they were inseperable. We adopted Heisman. We did it for Jackie and we did it for ourselves. Heisman had what it took to get Jackie back to being her normal self and to help us heal our hearts a little more from losing Romeo. He didn't replace Romeo - of course not. No one could ever take the place of Romeo. But Heisman took up where Romeo left off.

I think Solo is depressed and lonely. If you can let him get his own Greyhound fix - you might just find someone who needs your love and Solo's companionship and vice versa in honor of Rusty. Of course, this is just my thoughts but it's worth a shot for Solo and for your own heart, too.

Edited by GentleHugs

I had a foster years ago, a breathtakingly beautiful big spook of a boy, that was adopted by a wonderful family with a senior female. He followed her lead, pulled his bed across the room to be next to hers, hung out at Meet & Greets with her. When she died, he was inconsolable. He went back into his shell, wouldn't eat, didn't want to go anywhere. His family tried everything. Nothing worked until they got him a new Greyhound friend. They think his new friend probably saved his life. Solo may not be this extreme and may come out of his depression without adding to your family, but if another dog is a possibility for you, I'd consider it. Kind of like they say that 2 are easier than 1 because they meey some of each others needs, maybe sometimes they have needs that we aren't well equipped to meet.

I had a foster years ago, a breathtakingly beautiful big spook of a boy, that was adopted by a wonderful family with a senior female. He followed her lead, pulled his bed across the room to be next to hers, hung out at Meet & Greets with her. When she died, he was inconsolable. He went back into his shell, wouldn't eat, didn't want to go anywhere. His family tried everything. Nothing worked until they got him a new Greyhound friend. They think his new friend probably saved his life. Solo may not be this extreme and may come out of his depression without adding to your family, but if another dog is a possibility for you, I'd consider it. Kind of like they say that 2 are easier than 1 because they meey some of each others needs, maybe sometimes they have needs that we aren't well equipped to meet.

We are going to be getting a second one soon. We just wanted to wait until we get back from Boston at the end of the month. I just hope he can hang in there long enough.

We are going to be getting a second one soon. We just wanted to wait until we get back from Boston at the end of the month. I just hope he can hang in there long enough.

I'm so glad that you are! What about the possibility of him meeting some other dogs while you're waiting. Maybe cheer him up and give you a chance to start to see who he likes.

If he likes car ride, take him somewhere, get him a treat. Do the thing you know he likes to do that are special to get his mind off of losing his best friend. If he continues to pant and be unhappy, I'd have the vet take a look and make sure nothings wrong medically.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11
If he likes car ride, take him somewhere, get him a treat. Do the thing you know he likes to do that are special to get his mind off of losing his best friend. If he continues to pant and be unhappy, I'd have the vet take a look and make sure nothings wrong medically.

DITTO, Judy!

Ekko and Wayne had a hard time when we lost Misty, but they did have each other which I think helped.

Other than the panting, he very well could be mourning. But if the panting continues, better safe than sorry and visit the vet just to be sure.

I hope he picks up soon, it's difficult to watch them mourn the loss of another.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TBSFlame

I have found that if one is lost from the pack they will circle around with each other more. They will stay very close to me and include me in that circle. There is healing in the pack. If you only have two the healing circle is broken. I have seen this behavior twice when Beecher and Tessie died last year. When Hawk died he was our only dog and we said we would never go through that again. We will always have at least two greyhounds. I love being allowed to be part of a greyhound pack. My hounds heal my soul everyday.

Guest Energy11
Can you foster until your trip or take him for some playdates? It sounds like he needs the company....

Good idea!

Can you foster until your trip or take him for some playdates? It sounds like he needs the company....

He will have a play date tomorrow. :colgate

Guest Energy11

He will have a play date tomorrow. :colgate

Aw... that is a GREYT idea! :-)) Hope he has a good time!

Dogs do mourn - maybe not in the same way as people, but they do miss their friends.

The panting is a concern, as many have said, it might be worth checking out. It could also be a bit of anxiety if he's not used to being the only grey in the house. He may be having some separation anxiety, or just the general kind - not knowing what to do and who to play with, having to entertain himself, no doggy companion.

Give him some time, and do some special things together. Take him in the car to a drive-in or other fast food place and get him a treat. Go for a walk in a new place. Have playdates with greyhound friends. Take him to a pet store and let him nose around for a while. Try some obedience training or other activity to engage his brain.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly