How Much Peroxide To Induce Vomiting?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ok, so I am a bad owner. I thought a few pounds of books on top of a bin would keep my dogs out of candy & chocolate, NOPE. I dont know exactly everything that was ingested, I do know some jelly beans, fake cigarettes candy, m&m's, and the worst of it all, dark chocolate covered almonds. How much peroxide do I give to each dog to induce vomiting?

Bart 80lbs

Olive 65lbs

Thanks.

Chad

It takes more than you think. I had to put several syringes full into Dylan, 100 lbs. and JD 15 pound 'Tsu to get them to give up their ill gotten goods.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Thanks. Well I am getting the hose and the dogs and we are onward and upward to see what treasures we can find.

Chad

Couple tablespoons apiece.

Good luck, Chad!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You have probably already done it by now, but I learned from Cathie that salt water works just as well. Dissolve a LOT of salt in water and pour it down their throat - the peroxide gets foamy when they puke it, the salt water doesn't do this. I haven't had to use this trick (I had already used peroxide before I found out about this one) but I have it saved in my memory stash in case I ever need it again.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Wow, Olive ate a bunch of stuff. She had an entire packet of smoked sausage links, peanuts, a candy bar, jelly beans, and i think she is the one that ate the chocolate covered almonds. Bart, well he only ate the sugar free chewy squares. Yes I know, the sugar free stuff is bad. I will watch for any odd behavior, he took a LOT of peroxide (6-7 tablespoons). Olive on the other hand only took 1.5 tablespoons. She had a LOT more in her tummy. Now my boy Bart has some exposive D as well. Rice for the next few days. Poor puppies. Dumb owner, its my fault. Thanks for the help everyone.

Chad

Glad things came up. Wished they hadn't gone down in the first place, but crap happens (as you are finding :lol ).

Don't feel bad -- Zema once ate something she shouldn't have, vomited it up on her own, and then ate it again while I was peering blearily (2 a.m.) at the vomit trying to figure out what the heck it was.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Right now I think you are suffering more than they are. You got to them quickly enough to get potentially bad things back up, and except for the diarrhea they've already forgotten about it. :) Oh, the wonders of being a dog!

How long were the sugar-free squares inside Bart? (And are you sure you got them all back?) That's the one that scares me the most. Did they contain Xylitol? If Xylitol, I'd call the ER for advice. Xylitol quietly causes serious damage.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

By the way, those plastic storage bins with the snap-down lids--the ones designed to store dog food? They work well for storing people food, too. I keep potatoes in one of those bins so that Mr Potato Head (aka Sam) can't indulge his yen for raw spuds.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest FrostyBottoms

First let me say that I am glad everything came up and out!

Now Chad...I am dying to know why you have so much candy at your house.

Guest SusanP

We've had to induce vomiting a couple of times here-called the vet for support, and they had us call back if anyone *didn't* vomit up the peroxide, as if for some reason it failed, the stomach would have to be pumped. Luckily it worked. I think it was 2T...3 for the guy who didn't vomit after 2. I'd never want to try this without a syringe!

Glad it all worked out for you.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Olive is back to normal. Bart on the other hand, not so much. He was coughing for most of the night, and when I gave him dinner, after the event, he didnt want his raw turkey neck. He did scarf down the rice, but wanted nothing to do with the neck. Now this morning, he ate the rice no problem, so I pushed around the "tuck" of his waste and it seems a bit firm, compaired to Olive. Jen is off today so I having her go outside with him to see if he is still pooing liquid like he did last night. I just want to be sure there is no blockage. Both Bart and Olive got into something on Sunday as well. I have now moved just about any food source I can find into the kitchen, behind cabinet doors and I am gating off the kitchen. I suck, I know please nobody has to tell me that this should have been done the day I got my first hound. Olive has recently begun to become an expert counter-surfer. I guess when she found something good one time, thats all it took to establish the positive reinforcement. I know the sound aversion wont work because one of the things she did yesterday was knock down a glass tea jar that actually broke one of my tiles on the floor, not the glass, but my floor. I know that must have been a really loud nose, but it didnt stop the food eating. If I have to e-vet Bart, I will post an update.

All the candy you ask, well most of it is over a year old. My wife just gets it here and there, we dont really eat much of it, but it allways seems to be around.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest chaoran22

even if bart doesn't have to go to the evet - a trip to the regular vet for bloodwork might be in order if he had xylitol in the sugar free stuff he ate. my dog had about half a pack of sugarless gum (he stole it out of a zipped up backpack) on a friday and nothing happened to him other than diarrhea. i wasn't even going to take him to the vet but then i decided it wouldn't hurt to ask about the diarrhea after two days went by and he was still having it. so on monday, a full two and a half days later, i went to the vet and told him he was having diarrhea and the only thing he had gotten into was sugarless gum and my vet freaked out and took bloodwork and sure enough, he had pretty severe liver damage from the xylitol that only showed up with bloodwork. apparently half a pack was enough to put him into an insulin shock/coma within half an hour of ingestion. miraculously, that didn't happen and i was so lucky because he really should have been dead that friday and instead, he was ok even though i didn't even think to take him to the vet until almost three days later. so just to be safe, i would recommend a bloodwork panel on the dog that had the sugarless candy (maybe both just to be safe in case the other one got some too).

my boy had to take liver regenerating pills for a month. luckily, the liver is a naturally regenerating organ anyway and after that month with the pills helping it, his bloodwork came back just fine and he was fully recovered.

with normal garbage, if they throw it up, i think it's fine, but with something so poisonous like xylitol, it's better to be safe than sorry. that stuff is a million times worse than chocolate b/c it takes so little to cause death, but no one even knows about it. i certainly didn't until my dog got into it. good luck!

Guest TurnerMiller01

:bighug:hope hugs and prayers to you and the hounds.. hoping everyone is going to be ok...

healing vibes going your way......... :candle:candle

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I just contacted the shop that the candy was made from and they are going to give me a complete list of ingredients, since the shop is a small shop in Attica Indiana. THanks for the thoughts.

Chad