What Is This?

Guest luvdogs

Guest luvdogs

Okay, I don't exactly know how to describe this. These black things are on my Grey's chest, right where the rib cage would rest on the floor when in the sphinx position. At first I thought it was just a "pad" worn from laying like this, but today I started investigating, as I had seen some little things on the pad that looked like pimples in the past. I started to squeeze a few spots and these little black things came out. They aren't living (that I know of) but they resemble little black worms. I kept squeezing and there were lots of them. Sorry if this sounds gross, but I have no idea what the heck this is and I have no better way of describing it. Any ideas??

Guest Pipi5

Sounds like they're blackheads. a lot of greys get them from laying in the sphinks position in their racing crates. I've been told that sand & dirt is on the floor of the crates & it gets imbedded in their skin. a lot of people pop the blackheads & I'm sure there's medication to help remove them. I only have 1 that has them & I've left them alone....they're slowly going away.

Guest Energy11

Nothing grosses me out, but I honestly have NO idea what they could be. I have seen a lot of things on dogs, AND humans, for that matter, but nothing like this.

This is VERY strange. I will be interested to see if the others have seen anything like this. Might be worth Googling? Good Luck! D

Humm... blackheads make sense!

My first thought is blackheads. Peanut has some and she's been home 2 years, hers are likely from laying in the dirt. :lol

A picture would really help though.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest luvdogs
Blackheads - see this post ---> link

That is EXACTLY what it is...thanks! Glad to know it is normal. The dirt and stuff that they lay in must be imbedded in her as well because as I was squeezing the little things it didn't smell too nice either. Thanks so much!

Yep, sounds like blackheads to me. They're very noticeable on bare bellies and chests.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Yup just blackheads. The pores can get so filled with gunk that it looks like black worms when you squeeze them out. All of ours have had them when they came home, some worse than others.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest luvdogs

My girl's blackheads are much worse than in the pic in the other link. I have just finished squeezing a bunch and will do some more later. She is more than happy to let me at them, maybe it feels good to get rid of them, who knows! Thanks again!

Try washing the area with a mild anti-bacterial soap after, or rinsing with betadine, just to help stop any infection from starting.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

blackheads. Yummy (KNOT). I have heard of people using warm compresses too as well as the above suggestions. Maddie has just a few so I got lucky with this. But I did see a bad case at our kennel 2 years on a dog just arrived from the track.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest greytfostermom

Man, I had a foster that had a patch and I thought it was a weird scab from an injury. I didn't foster that one very long. Boy- it was blackheads. I'll know next time. It looked like the dog in the link.

Guest TBSFlame

It's blackheads. Many years ago I paid a vet $40 to tell me what they were. It was funny. Vet was down on the floor looking up at Beecher's tummy. I remember him looking up at the with this strange look on his face and said......."I think it's blackheads?". Warm compress and a little pressure and in time you can get rid of them.

Guest luvdogs

Thanks, I somehow managed to get at a lot of them today. If you can imagine there were black heads ON blackheads. I actually had to vacuum after there were so many little black bits all around her bed - yuck! but her chest looks so nice and pink now and so smooth. I must have squeezed a few hundred and spent about an hour. She was so good and let me at them as much as I wanted. I will use a disinfectant to wipe down the skin, good idea! We actually had originally thought it was a rough pad, not unlike the pad they have on their feet just from rubbing on the kennel, that is how black the patch was, it really looked like one big patch. That is, until I started investigating further and getting all these little wormies out. Gross!

I use Witch Hazel on them. Put some on a wash cloth and rub. Witch Hazel is an astringent. OK, sometimes I use a toothbrush on them.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Every book I've read on adopting a racing Greyhound mentions these--they're blackheads, and they're very common.

You can either leave them alone, or help them along with warm compresses. They're nothing to be worried about whatever you do!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Welcome to Blackhead Pickers Anonymous.

Is it about time we get a patch or a T-shirt or a secret handshake or something?

I'm in! :lol

Blackheads - see this post ---> link

That is EXACTLY what it is...thanks! Glad to know it is normal. The dirt and stuff that they lay in must be imbedded in her as well because as I was squeezing the little things it didn't smell too nice either. Thanks so much!

yepers nasty stinky things :blink:

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08