Odd Skin

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I picked up my foster Buzz last Friday and noticed he has this odd skin "thing" underneath him on his ribcage. It's soft to the touch, not crusty and it doesn't change ever it's just there. Buzz doesn't seem to notice it at all - no biting or scratching. I have no idea what this is and have never seen it before. Anyone have any ideas?

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

That is a nice crop of blackheads. Warm compress and you can gently squeeze them if you like.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Zoe has those. I leave them alone unless one gets really big and then I wash it with a betadine/water solution (to look like tea) and put neosporin on it. It will reduce. My vet also said that we could use Stridex pads on the area if we wish, but since it doesn't bother her (her harness is even over the area) that we have just left well enough alone.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest TBSFlame
That is a nice crop of blackheads. Warm compress and you can gently squeeze them if you like.

Yes, I have seen this condition. :lol I took my boy to the vet sure he had something terrible. I will never forget the vet on his hand and knees looking up trying to see Beecher's tummy. :rolleyes: The vet looked up and said to me......."I think it's blackheads???" lol. He was not a very grey savy vet and I guess he had never seen anything like that. To give him credit, he did get it right. Warm compress and gently squeeze. Can't do it in one sitting, it will take time.

Edited by TBSFlame

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Ugh to blackheads! Well at least it's not something that needs medical attention. Someone else told me it's called "sand heads" caused by sand on the track getting embedded in the pores.

Thanks everyone!

Guest StriderDog

Yup - blackheads. I'm pretty sure someone on GT already tried Biore strips with no results, so don't bother with that! Some exfoliation and salicylic acid (acne medication) will clear them up.

Nice blackheads. I put some Witch Hazel on a washcloth and scrub gently twice a day. I pick at them if the greyhound doesn't mind me poking around. Some won't let you touch them, others do not care and some will work with you on it. If you poke at them be sure to put some ointment on them so they do not get infected.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Nice blackheads. I put some Witch Hazel on a washcloth and scrub gently twice a day. I pick at them if the greyhound doesn't mind me poking around. Some won't let you touch them, others do not care and some will work with you on it. If you poke at them be sure to put some ointment on them so they do not get infected.

They have all run together into one big mass so I don't even know where to begin! Yikes!

Guest jettcricket

They have all run together into one big mass so I don't even know where to begin! Yikes!

Yeah....that's a lot of sqeezing. :P My girlie, Cricket, has some but she will not let me pick at them. So I leave her be.

Poor Guy, that is a big mass of blackheads. Hope they heal soon.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

This is really common and we treat it by leaving it alone. It develops when then they recline in dirt, etc and it collects in that spot because that is where their chest rests on the floor/ground. Over time it will "clean up." It's nothing to worry about. Just being in a carpeted area will help remove a lot when they rub the area when they recline (just the natural movement).

Guest Greensleeves
Someone else told me it's called "sand heads" caused by sand on the track getting embedded in the pores.

Our Flint has some, and he's never been on a track... or sand... or spent a minute lying down outside in his life. :lol I think it just happens to some dogs. (shrug)

(Our response has been to do nothing.)

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie has these as well, and over the past 8 months that we have had her, I have been able to get most of them out. I do it when she is sleeping on her back, and she doesn't even wake up :)

I am an esthetician, so I can give some advise if you deside to try to get them out...as it is my job I can't help but to go for it, but there is no real reason if they are not bothering him!

1. Warm compress may be all you need to get the skin to open up and they will come out on there own.

2. if it is red at all don't squeeze it. Red = infection and you don't want to break the folical and spread the infection.

3. press down and then in. If it doesn't come out with gental pressure, don't force it.

4. be careful with s. acid / strydex and the like. Very harsh to the skin! (People's too btw)

5. I have also noticed that some of them are totally under nellies skin and are not open to the surface. These make her skin look kind of greenish. Don't touch these! they will come up on their own eventually.

Edited by oldNELLIE

Someone else told me it's called "sand heads" caused by sand on the track getting embedded in the pores.

Our Flint has some, and he's never been on a track... or sand... or spent a minute lying down outside in his life. :lol I think it just happens to some dogs. (shrug)

(Our response has been to do nothing.)

Yeah, I have "bad skin" too - and I never lay on my face in the dirt! :lol

I have noticed that they do go away in time on the greys. Maybe he's just a teenager!

• 4 months later...