Crackerjack Is Gone...

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Guest TheUnrulyHound

8 days shy of his 29th birthday my beautiful boy has left me....... I went out to check the mail and he was on the ground. I got him up and walked him for and hour till the vet could come. Colic. Twisted intestines. No hope. I held his head in my lap and told him how much I love him as he was delivered from his pain. Now he is pain free, and I am glad I could make his last years as wonderful as possible.

Last year on his birthday I wrote a tribute for him.... here I post it again, I cherish every moment I have had with him.........

On this day, 28 years ago, a beautiful colt was born. His kind eyes and strong will must have made him an interesting youngster.

His first 10 years are unknown to me, somewhere amongst that time he was trained to walk the walk....tail set high, neck arched, long flowing mane with braids.... he was probably in that day, tortured to get him to lift his hooves high, like some Tennessee walkers are today. The son of legends, he must have been a vision.

I know of his next 10 years, he was bought by someone who had no use for him. Placed in a small pasture, alone, no neighbors who had horses for miles. Somewhere along this time he forgot how to whinney. A woman who drove by him everyday watched in sadness wishing she could help. She tracked down the owners who allowed her to buy him. When she got him home she had to cut the halter off him, the skin on his nose had begun to grow around it because it was too small.

Happiness came, three horses and a mini to meet. The first sounds from his lips in years was a squeaky noise ending in heavy heaves, you might hear this sound in a scary movie. he quickly showed everyone who was boss and became leader of the small herd. By far his best buddy was the mini, he might have bit and shoved him from time to time but they were always together, grazing side by side or playing chase.

5 years pass and the kind lady who saved him cannot spend enough time with him. Heartbroken over the theft of another favorite horse, who was never seen again, she couldnt bear to keep him. She spoke to her friend, asking if she knew someone who would enjoy him.

And thus, Crackerjack became mine, still stubborn and beautiful, we loved eachother at first sight. A patient teacher, he showed me the joy of horse hugs and the wonders of flying over grass, always wanting to go faster though I hadnt the courage.

3 years later he is getting slower, he still gets the best of everything, and he will never be alone again. His eyes are still bright and mischevious, and he still greets me with a hoarse whinney-like noise, but time is taking its toll. No longer the first to the feed bucket. He no longer tells Chilly whos boss.

My beloved friend, you will never leave this land, even after your passing. You have given so much, you deserve to be honored. And so, another year has passed. What will the next one bring? I know for Crackerjack it will only be filled with happiness, grass and love. And as for me? I will pray that I get to celebrate your birthday with you again.

Thankyou sweetie.

He didn't make it to his birthday.... though the mini in the story above was reunited with him 4 months ago. They were again inseperable. He stands, even now, by Crackerjacks side. I can't bear it.

DSCN07773.jpg

Goodnight sweet boy... I love you so much and I have kept my promise to you, you will never leave.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry. :cry1 It's good that he found you.

Godspeed Crackerjack.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh Holly, I am so sorry :(

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Holly, I am so so sorry it was his time, and thank God you were able to walk him and get the vet right out there.

Your tribute is one I will never forget. We honor CJ

God speed our special friend

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm so sorry for your loss! Crackerjack sounds like he was such a wonderful horse and you gave him such a great life! He will be waiting for you on the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greytful4

Oh I'm so terribly sorry for both your losses,but I know that even now, they are galloping thru the fields with heaven's wind in their mane! :grouphug

Holly and gang

I am so sorry, I am sitting here wiping at the tears after reading that wonderful tribute to Crackerjack. Know that I am thinking of you. :bighug

Amy and Maddie

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Holly, I am so very sorry. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.... I know this must really hurt..... Again I am so very sorry I know how Special he was to you.... . :grouphug :grouphug :f_pink

RIP Crackerjack

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Annie

What a beautiful tribute, Holly. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Bless you for making the remainder of his life so happy.

Run Free Crackerjack! You will be forever loved.

This is so sad. I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greyt2love

I'm so sorry, Holly. I know you loved Crackerjack, and you gave him the best of lives once he came to live with you. I know you will miss him terribly.