Quivering Hind Legs When Standing For Any Length Of Time

My greyhound is 6 years old (May 09) so he's not old really...

But at meet and greets when standing for any length of time his hind legs shake :unsure

A first thought was is he cold? But no his ears are warm and he does it on a hot day.

Second thought is he excited? Don't think so as he doesn't get excited unless he is running to the sofa :lol

Third thought could it be a trapped nerve?

Fourth thought am I being silly and getting wound up about something and nothing?

*Sigh* What d'ya think guys? Truthfully good or bad please.........

Edited by crazygang

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest argolola

I have no ideas, except could he be nervous? Others will chime in I'm sure, and have some ideas. He will be in my prayers anyway.

My first greyhound used to do this and I was never sure why. He later went on to develop Degenerative Myelopathy and I wondered if it might have been an early symptom of that but I really can't be sure so please don't worry unnecessarily.

Sunny (4 years old) also does it and I'm inclined to think it's just muscle tiredness - from the effort involved in standing upright for any length of time ( :lol ).

I did recently read that reluctance or difficulty standing still can be a symptom of hypothyroidism so I'll be getting Sunny tested at some point.

Has he got a bed he can lie down on at the Meet and Greets?

Edited by Hawthorn

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest longdogs

Angel does it when she is in an unfamiliar place or is standing for a long time and doesn't want to. I think it is stress.

Guest EmilyAnne

I had a pointer mix who did this almost his whole life. He was hit by a car when he was only a year old, and from then on his back legs quivered from time to time, one side more so than the other. Henry is starting to do it a little bit. He is approx. 11. I think there can be a variety of things that cause rear leg shaking.

hmm, well, both of my girls started to do this when they turned 9. I attribute it to an age thing. it usually happened after walks or while standing in the car, so I guess it to be a slight unsteadiness...either they were tired or they were on a surface that they weren't completely comfortable on. maybe he doesn't like the floor there so much and he expends more energy just to make sure he doesn't slip or something?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

More then likely is he's getting tired of standing around.

Unless he's use to standing around for long periods of times other then the M&G his muscles are getting tired and that's causing the leg shake.

If he's not one to lay down at M&G I would maybe suggest cutting them a bit shorter.

A pretty spooky grey from our group shakes/quivers in the hind end at Meet & Greets -- it's totally nervousness/stress, not anything medical. (A few months ago she shook all over, now it's just in the rear, while the front is coming up for attention!) Do his legs shake at any other times? If not, I doubt it's anything physical to worry about.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I have no idea! :(

Just wanted to send hugs... I hope you find out what's going on... :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

A few of mine have done this, especially when they're standing on a hard surface. So I just made sure they didn't have to do that.

Many times on our walks, people would want me to stop so they could pet the dogs but I always made sure it was just for a minute and explained to people why.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My Angel girl Vee did this when she was only five and six years old. She was not a nervous dog in any way. Her back legs would shake and quiver after standing in one spot, usually on a hard surface for any length of time. At meet and greets I would walk her around or massage the leg and it would get better. It didn't seem to bother her at all.

I think it has something to do with the muscles. Beau started doing this and has continued to when we started him on pred in Januray. His hind legs always quiver and when he lifts his leg to pee, it really quivers. The pred contributes to muscle wasting.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My first greyhound used to do this and I was never sure why. He later went on to develop Degenerative Myelopathy and I wondered if it might have been an early symptom of that but I really can't be sure so please don't worry unnecessarily.

I did recently read that reluctance or difficulty standing still can be a symptom of hypothyroidism so I'll be getting Sunny tested at some point.

Has he got a bed he can lie down on at the Meet and Greets?

Interesting..........I'll research into Degenerative Myelopathy and hypothyroidism. Thanks for the information. Got to go to the vets with one of my hounds shortly so Ill take Snowy along too and mention about his hind legs shaking for peace of mind.

And yes we do take a bed for him or he takes time out in the back of our 4 x 4.

A lot of time, it is just arthritis. Energy did that at about your grey's age.

This surprises me...........I have him on a joint suppliment anyway.

More then likely is he's getting tired of standing around.

Unless he's use to standing around for long periods of times other then the M&G his muscles are getting tired and that's causing the leg shake.

If he's not one to lay down at M&G I would maybe suggest cutting them a bit shorter.

Muscle tiredness sounds plausable......yes, we don't stop all day since he started not enjoying them as much anymore.

A pretty spooky grey from our group shakes/quivers in the hind end at Meet & Greets -- it's totally nervousness/stress, not anything medical. (A few months ago she shook all over, now it's just in the rear, while the front is coming up for attention!) Do his legs shake at any other times? If not, I doubt it's anything physical to worry about.

No he's not a nervous dog by any means, sensitive maybe......

I have no idea!

Just wanted to send hugs... I hope you find out what's going on...

Thanks we'll get to the bottom of it...........at the end of the day if it's his way of telling us he's had enough now we'll just leave him at home and take a kennel dog. After all he IS retired :lol

My Angel girl Vee did this when she was only five and six years old. She was not a nervous dog in any way. Her back legs would shake and quiver after standing in one spot, usually on a hard surface for any length of time. At meet and greets I would walk her around or massage the leg and it would get better. It didn't seem to bother her at all.

Yes I do massage his legs and walk him round slowly and gently, this does seem to help.

Think I'd already made my mind up to be select with how often and where we go now, and monitor how long he stands, because he really does love meeting other greys and loves people.

But I am going to mention it to my vet even if it appears I'm an over reacting Mum [which I probably am] :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your input.

Edited by crazygang

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest sheila

one thing my vet mentioned when I had a grey with some hind end weakness is that it could be heart related. (mine was a senior that did have some heart issues) He said if the heart isn't pumping efficiently it could cause less blood flow to the extremities and present as some weakness or shakiness. I would have your vet take a quick listen to the dogs heart and see if there may be anything that warrants further investigation.

Excellent suggestions above. My two cents worth: Have you checked his feet for corns?

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Guest Becky__R

If it's not cold, the two choices I can think of are pain or nerves. Maybe you could go to a place that is paved, without people or animals other types of stimulation (traffic, noise, etc). If your grey still gets the shakes, it could be from sore joints from standing on the pavement. If not, it might be from all of the stimulating noises smells and sights at a meet and greet .

My Diesel does this, but he's 12. Originally, one of the reasons he retired was because of a dropped hock muscle-and evn back when he was 4, if he over did it-that leg would shake. About the time I noticed he has rear-end weakness and shakey legs, I realized the other side had dropped. I think part of his shaking is just like when people work out and then get shaky afterwards. Because some of Diesel's muscles aren't connected, the others get a harder work out if we have a very active day and he gets leg shakes. Maybe our experience can be applied to your pup's situation.

Guest meakah

Koda does this A LOT.....and it is mainly one leg. She always does it when nervous (she is a spook) and I have noticed her start doing it when she has stood for a long period of time....this I would say is muscle fatigue. I don't think it is anything to worry about unless it progresses it gets worse (eg. limping, etc). I would shorten his M & G duration if he stands the entire time and just keep an eye on him.

For Meet and Greets, maybe take something he can stand on. You can take a rubber-backed bathmat for him, and that will provide a bit of padding and also some traction, if your M&G is inside on slick floors.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• 7 years later...
Guest nnamdismom

I would not worry this is pretty common amongst grey owners. I got my Nnamdi when he was five, so he raced a long time. I always attributed his shaky legs to that. I've had him xrayed before and they said his legs are perfectly healthy! I think because greys are so skinny we can really see the shaking and quivering more so than with another dog. He just ran around the backyard like crazy so they are shaky now and they won't be later. It makes me so sad! I was trying to find something to do for him to help when I logged on today. I know Cosequin tablets help him when he gets shaky, maybe you could try those!