Homemade Dog Steps

If you can't find duct tape in colors at the Big Box stores, check a large hardware store like Ace, True Value or DoItBest. They usually have duct tape or a brand name called Gorilla Tape in various colors. Also some fabric stores carry the Gorilla brand products.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest UESBrindle

So Elizabeth, what was their answer on the duct tape? I know it does come in other colors, but I'm not sure if HD has them. I still have to go back to get my last piece of foam insulation - let me know if I need to go elsewhere to get my taupe duct tape. :P

The guy who was helping me said he would grab some and sent me back to get the foam board. When I met him back by the registers and asked him, he just laughed at me and said "are you serious? your steps will be gray!"

He was already being really helpful, so I didn't want to insult him by taking up more of his time to go back and look to see, so i don't know if HD carries it, but I guess it's fine because the outside of our car is silver, so it will match :lol I just wanted to do something fun it was an option... but fut was not this guys priority in helping me..

Like someone else mentioned, they do make it, just not sure if it's at HD or not since I didn't get a chance to look :P

Did anyone have trouble getting their dog to use the stairs? Neyla is totally resistant to going up the ones I made for getting onto the bed. Down was going better, but I learned this morning that her preference is still to jump. :( We'll keep working on it, but I'm wondering if anyone else ran into this issue.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My guys looked at the steps and started up, then backed down and gave me the "huh?" look. We just did "one foot at a time" (both up and down), holding onto the leash and guiding them, and in no time they are using the steps as they were intended.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 3 months later...
Guest eaglflyt

Batmom, thanks so very much again for this post. I've sent the link to a friend that might make good use of these steps and hopefully she won't have to keep lifting her dogs into her vehicle. I'm also going to Home Depot today for the materials. I'm modifying it a little to make a performance platform for Ady Bea for her canine freestyle class work! :colgate

• 3 years later...

Here it is, ancient "how to make cheap steps" thread :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NDhound

Greyt idea, I will have to give this a shot as my 4 1/2 y/o Crew just stands and waits to be lifted into the car.

This should save my back 3 or 4 - 75# lifts a day.