Symptom Of Osteosarcoma

Guest mrs

Can a swollen leg be a symptom of osteosarcoma? My 5-year-old grey's right front leg has swollen up. Last Saturday my DH took him for a pretty long walk. He came back limping and with some blisters on his paws. After 3-4 days, he was feeling much better, paws healing up, no limping. Then all of a sudden late Thursday night I noticed his leg start to swell about midpoint. By Friday, the whole leg was involved. Took him to the vet and they started him on antibiotic and antihistamine thinking it could be a spider bite or something and they also sent off a CBC.

His leg is still swollen this morning, maybe a little bit more so. I'll call the vet when they open. My last grey died of osteosarcoma so it has come to mind for me. Just not sure if this is the way it would present...a completely swollen leg. Any thoughts?

Need an x-ray.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the swelling being a symptom. I'll give the antibiotics a chance to work over the weekend, and if no improvement, I'll get an x-ray on Monday.

The swelling I've seen with OS was local to the lesion (like a growing baseball), until the last day when the whole leg swelled up. That was the pattern with all 3 of my hounds. :( Definitely get an x-ray. Sending prayers... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

And we (Darcy) didn't have a single symptom at all, until her bone broke.

I'd certainly want an xray as a matter of urgency.

:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Energy11

Could be anything at this point! Sprains and strains can also cause a lot of swelling. I'd opt for an x-ray. Good luck, and we are praying for you! D

Yes. Argus started out with a slight limp. Then the wrist joint swelled. By the time he had to be put to sleep his entire leg looked like a stuffed sock.

But on the flip side, it could also be a soft tissue injury such as a sprain. Those are easily treated with rest and anti-inflammatories. It could also be something else entirely.

An x-ray will tell.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest CDNgreys

I've had dogs with both types of swelling from OS...the big, hard swelling and the squishy swelling.

With the squishy swelling the vet told me to start at the paw and start gently squeezing the swollen tissue in the direction of the heart to help the swelling go down. We had x-rays done on both dogs and were certain of it being OS.

My angel Isis came up lame first of the year,m then got better then first of March came up lame again and in the span of a 2 days her rear leg was swollen from toe to hip..the squishy swollen..Took her to the vet and x-rays showed the mass on her upper leg. I would get the x-ray just for peace of mind.

Your pup being a young one has that going for him. Isis was 13.

X-Ray....better safe then sorry

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and replies.

After posting, Smitty's leg started draining in a small area. Vet said his CBC came back normal and he thinks this was a reaction to an insect/spider bite. Well, this morning after 2 days of antibiotics and antihistamines, the swelling has started to subside. I'm so relieved. I will of course keep an extremely close eye on him over the next few days.

I was just so concerned for him after having lost a greyhound to osteosarcoma just 3 years ago....obviously my mind went there. I'll keep you updated.