Jamey...what A Rollercoaster Ride!

Here is a summary of has been happening. After a long week of waiting we got the biopsy report back on June 1 ...the biopsy results were inconclusive. So they were not able to tell us what was going on. We made an appointment with the oncologist and saw her on Tuesday. We told her that we have been corresponding with the Greyhound experts at Ohio State University about Jamey, and had been trying to send them the X-rays that were taken on May 25th to look at. We had not been successful because of the special program they were in. (A radiologist type program). So we asked if they could be sent to OSU. They agreed, no problem at all. Depending on what came out of them looking at Jamey's X-rays at OSU, Michael and I had tentatively set an amputation date for tomorrow (Friday), since we kept saying that time is of the essence with this cancer, if it was really this cancer.

Fast forward to today: Well we are in the middle of quite the roller coaster ride here. Yesterday we received an email and a phone call from OSU to hold off with the amputation. They had seen no real difference in the X-rays from early May to the ones of May 25th. They suggested to take another X-ray of the bone to see if the biopsy needle had really penetrated the bone since the results were inconclusive, and redo the biopsy if necessary, *OR* wait 6 weeks and re-do the X-rays to see if there had been a change. It was not in the 'normal' place in the bone for OSA to occur. We called the oncologist and discussed this with her. We decided to bring Jamey in for another X-ray this morning to see if the biopsy needle had penetrated the bone. Michael was going to take him in at 10 AM.

Last night I sprained my ankle (Diego ran me over as I was cleaning up dog poops, but that is another story!!) so I happened to be home from work today.

Michael called me at about 10:30 to come to the animal hospital right away as Jamey had broken his humerus as they were taking the X-rays. So I rushed over and was there within 15 minutes.

The oncologist came to talk to me, they had taken one X-ray which showed that the biopsy needle did penetrate the lesion in his bone, and they were turning him over for another view when his leg snapped. Jamey's reaction to the extreme pain was that he lashed out at the nearest thing...the face of one of the vet techs....she is OK we are told! They don't blame Jamey at all for his reaction. They sedated him right away. Our decision was made for us. We had to have his leg amputated right then. (Or put him to sleep, and that was not an option for us, as he still was showing no sign of being ill at all!) So just after noon today Jamey was scheduled to have his right front leg amputated.

We went to see Jamey tonight and he is drugged up with pain killers, but he is alert. We'll go see him tomorrow again.

What a rollercoaster ride the last 48 hours has been! From hope that it just might not be OSA since there seemed to be no change in the X-rays to an emergency amputation because his leg broke on the X-ray table! Phew!

We'll keep you updated.

Tin, Michael and Tripod Jamey

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Wow... I am sorry this is happening to your boy. I guess it is a good thing that he was at the vets when the bone snapped, as they could get the pain in control right away; and I hope his surgery went well. Sending prayers that he is a good candidate for chemo or whatever comes next.

Guest knitkass

oh my gosh! I can't believe that happened! How did they break his bone while x-raying him!

Here's hoping your boy recovers from this quickly!

Guest greytkidsmom

Oh my gosh what an emotional rollercoaster you are on.

Prayers for a smooth recovery for Jamey.

OSU has a protocol to prevent postoperative bleeding using a drug called amikar.

Greyhounds apparently have a tendency to bleed about 48 hours post-amp.

You may want to see if your vet knows about it.

Heaven knows you don't need any more drama.

Guest VirginiaGreys

OMG....I'm so sorry that all this happened the way it has. Not usual from what I've read. However...if it is OS...which it sounds like it could be...I was told that the dog could just stand up and it could break. Perhaps Jamey was standing up to be put in another position? :dunno I hope the vet tech will be okay.....and Jamey was at the best place to help him when it did break. :(

Maybe the first x-rays weren't at the best angle to see the OS?

I have Jamey and your family in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

OMG. :jaw Broke his leg on the x-ray table? :( What a nightmare. Hopefully he'll breeze through surgery and have an uneventful recovery. Sending loads of prayers and light to all. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Perhaps Jamey was standing up to be put in another position? :dunno

Dianne, Jamey way laying on the X-ray table, with a vet tech holding his legs. They tried to roll him into a different position -the vet tech still holding on to his legs, she was guiding them along with his body- when his bone snapped. This is what we were told by the oncologist.

I called this morning, spoke to a nurse, and Jamey is resting comfortably. They increased his pain meds a bit overnight, as he seemed to be in a bit of pain. We're waiting for a call from the surgeon to give us an update.

OSU has a protocol to prevent postoperative bleeding using a drug called amikar.

Greyhounds apparently have a tendency to bleed about 48 hours post-amp.

We did speak to the surgeon about this, but he said it is used for a few days pre-surgery to prevent bleeding, so it was not really an option for Jamey. He also said that Jamey's bone biopsy site had not bled, and that hopefully Jamey was one of the lucky Greyhounds that doed not have this tendency towards bleeding. We're praying that this is the case for Jamey.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Energy11

OMG! Their legs are sooooooooo fragile when they get Osteo!

Yes, good thing Jamey was the vets when this happened! Good Luck! Love and Prayers from here! :bighug:getwell

No better place for his leg to break than at the vet's.If it hadn't broken then, it probably would have broken soon, at home, maybe while he was running in the yard or just walking in the house. That would have meant a lot more pain for him.

I hope everything goes well for him (and you) from here out.

What a mess. Poor Jamey. Poor you.

I hope he recovers quickly and well, and enjoys a lot of happy time as a tripod.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Omg, what a nightmare! Adding prayers for Jamey :hope :hope :hope

Edited by grey14me

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

What an awful 48 hours you've had. Please know that you're all in my thoughts :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.