Need Your Help Quickly! Please!

Guest andrealynch

Guest andrealynch

:(

Hello All:

I would appreciate ANY help you can give me, as I feel I am stuck in a tough spot and I don't have any CLUE what the right decision is to make. And thank you in advance!

Back in December, a 12 year old small female was given to our adoption group--and I agreed to foster her. I felt so bad for this tiny little lady--who had been with the same owner for 10 years, who decided he didn't have time for her anymore.

After a few weeks, I decided to adopt this "little lady" as I call her--and soon after she started getting NUMEROUS urinary tract infections, and I noticed right away when I got her, that when she urinates, it comes out in little pulsing squirts--and she really seems to strain.

Well, soon after, the doctor told me that it was PROBABLE that she has Transitional Cell Carcinoma, based upon the amount, shape, and size of the transitional cells found in her urine samples and other lab work confirmed that this was most likely the reason for all of the infections, difficulty urinating, etc.

So, she was put on Piroxicam, and it did WONDERS for her! She actually started acting like a young pup again, and we celebrated her 13th birthday.

All seemed to be going well until this past week. It started with me noticing that her urine was a very dark brown color, with an odd smell. I took her into the vet and they sent off her urine to the lab--I will actually get the results back tomorrow--to see what was the cause. In the meantime, she has started urinating bright red blood--and it has progressively gotten worse over the weekend. I did call the vet and he said to keep her comfortable and bring her in first thing tomorrow morning.

He suspects that her bleeding is due to an advanced tumor--and suggested ultrasound to confirm, but noted there is not much of anything that can be done if it is transitional carcinoma. He was alarmed that she is on Piroxicam and antibiotics and this is still happening. He also suggested that it might be time to make the dreaded decision. Tonight--she has been laying around, and really wasn't too interested in food, but did eat some of her dinner and most of her breakfast.

Here is the thing: I know there are a few more options for diagnosis at least--but these will be VERY costly--and I am a schoolteacher and am nervous about how I will come up with the money. What do you think I should do? We have basically exhausted all possible options--and she has lived a very long life. However, sometimes she has really good moments when she bounces around the house--and yet, most of the time she is sleepy and withdrawn. Still, I feel very torn about making this decision and don't want her to suffer just for the sake of keeping me from having to go through a difficult decision! What would you do?

Thanks so much for your help. Feeling very sad and very confused! I want so badly to do "right" by her!

Thank you!

Edited by andrealynch

Guest ScottH

:grouphug

Steel yourself for what might come, but leave a little hope, just in case. :hope

I would wait until I talked to the vet in the morning. You will know by talking to the vet and how Little Lady is acting.

I wish you all the best in this most difficult of decisions. :candle

You must be a wonderful person to take in this Little Lady at her advanced age and give her a nice home in the twilight of her life. Take comfort in that and know GreyTalk is here for support, even if we don't know what to say.

Guest EmilyAnne

My heart :brokenheart as I read your post, and I can so relate in being unsure of what is the right thing to do by your dog. I have no experience with that sort of thing, as my dog has a different kind of cancer, but I can tell you for my own dog, we have opted only to keep him comfortable with drugs, and then simply let him go when he shows pain beyond control of meds and etc. I will not be paying thousands of dollars in diagnostic tests beyond what we already paid as what is the point now really? It wont cure him and is very highly unlikely to buy him more time.

Is your girl panting? I find for my dogs panting is a good indicator of pain. Any trembling? When you look in her eyes, does she seem to be there, or is she in too much pain?

Remember that on 'the other side' (what I believe to be Heaven) there is no more pain, suffering or cancer. She will be healed of all pain as she passes. My last dog, as I let him go, I felt relief go through his body.

Thank you so much for keeping her as comfortable as you can towards the end of her life. We are here to support you in whatever you do. :grouphug

Guest RooCroo

This is always the most heartbreaking difficult time, and my heart aches for you. I've been there. I hate it.

When my heart girl Sissy was dying of cancer, I made a list of all the stuff she did that made her happy. Eating, playing, running, cuddling with us... when there was nothing left on the list that she could do comfortably, we let her go.

I don't know if you are a praying or meditating person, but it helped me a great deal to try to empty my mind of all the "coulda shoulda woulda" noise and just concentrate on Sissy and the essence of her being to get to what SHE needed from me during her last weeks on earth. When she had no more "good days," we knew she wanted to go.

They have their ways of letting us know when it is their time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

:heart:

Guest andrealynch
My heart :brokenheart as I read your post, and I can so relate in being unsure of what is the right thing to do by your dog. I have no experience with that sort of thing, as my dog has a different kind of cancer, but I can tell you for my own dog, we have opted only to keep him comfortable with drugs, and then simply let him go when he shows pain beyond control of meds and etc. I will not be paying thousands of dollars in diagnostic tests beyond what we already paid as what is the point now really? It wont cure him and is very highly unlikely to buy him more time.

Is your girl panting? I find for my dogs panting is a good indicator of pain. Any trembling? When you look in her eyes, does she seem to be there, or is she in too much pain?

Remember that on 'the other side' (what I believe to be Heaven) there is no more pain, suffering or cancer. She will be healed of all pain as she passes. My last dog, as I let him go, I felt relief go through his body.

Thank you so much for keeping her as comfortable as you can towards the end of her life. We are here to support you in whatever you do. :grouphug

Wow! Thank you so much! Yes--last night she panted most of the evening--and even crying sometimes when we were visiting at my parent's house--and I mentioned that I thought that she might be in pain :( When she goes out, it takes her a long time to come back in as she squats in the back yard with shaky little legs :( I love her, but she looks more and more sad. I know I have read some strands before on this, and most people say they dog will tell you in her eyes when she is ready.

I agree with RooCroo. Very very difficult decision to make. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your baby. How wonderful your baby has you! I think at that age I would make her as comfortable as possible! My heart breaks for you..............

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

i'm facing a similar situation with Loca and I know how difficult it is. you're in my thoughts :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Scouts_mom

I have faced this horrible decision for both my dogs and cats. And I also have had vets wanting to do more tests. Sometimes I think the vets just want to know exactly what is wrong and forget about the stress and pain it may put the animal thru and that I may not be able to handle additional expenses. When I am trying to determine whether to do a test, I try to find out what the possibilities are that it would show and how would that knowledge would affect the treatment and the outcome. If there is no reasonable treatment for any of the results of the test, then there is no reason to do the test. I hope this helps.

Guest andrealynch
I have faced this horrible decision for both my dogs and cats. And I also have had vets wanting to do more tests. Sometimes I think the vets just want to know exactly what is wrong and forget about the stress and pain it may put the animal thru and that I may not be able to handle additional expenses. When I am trying to determine whether to do a test, I try to find out what the possibilities are that it would show and how would that knowledge would affect the treatment and the outcome. If there is no reasonable treatment for any of the results of the test, then there is no reason to do the test. I hope this helps.

It certainly does! I have done a lot of research on this kind of cancer, and it is really hard to help and you really can't cure it--which is so sad :( But I know exactly what you mean!

i'm facing a similar situation with Loca and I know how difficult it is. you're in my thoughts :grouphug

Aww...that is no fun to hear :( You are in our thoughts too...this is never fun is it?

This is the first time I've had to make this decision, as this is the first time in my adult life that I have owned my own dog. All the other times this has happened, it was to family pets and my dad made the ultimate decision. I now know just how hard this must have been for him. I know he told me recently, that even though he fought in Vietnam, and saw many horrible things, the time he had to put down our family daschound "Mickey" it was one of the hardest things he ever had to do in his life :(

From what you've told us, I agree that it might be time. Especially if she is panting and crying. A wise person on here once said that it's better to make that decision a bit earlier rather than a bit later. That way the dog isn't suffering needlessly. And in my experience, if the vet is gently suggesting that it's time, that's also a good indicator.

Perhaps a contributing factor to her illness is heartache and confusion over her sudden change in circumstance. I believe that animals can grieve.

Bless you for taking her in and being kind to her during her last few months. I hope you can be strong enough to stay with her and hold her until the end.

Godspeed to little lady, and hugs to you. You're both in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs to robinw and Loca as well.

Please keep us posted.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

I hate to say this, but even with all the diagnostic might you could throw at it, at 13 her age is a mitigating factor in treatment. There would be few options other than palliative care, given a firm diagnosis- so the best bet would be to look at those options immediately if you were to pursue any other route. She is fortunate to have made it to 13, and I'm sure the months you have given her have been quality ones.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Better a day too early than a day too late. Only you can know if the right time is now but whatever you decide it must be what is best and kindest for her, no matter what you would like for yourself. The last kind thing you can do for a much loved hound is to take the pain of setting her free so that she does not have to bear it a moment longer than necessary.

Sue from England

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug to you and bless you for giving your beautiful girl a chance at her final loving home. Not everyone can open their hearts and homes to the seniors who ask for so little and give us so very much :bighug

You are facing the hardest part. In the past year and a half I had to let my Queen BarbieJade, my beloved TigerPower and my most loved Stepper go - it is not easy - BarbieJade had a stroke at 14, Ti had CA at age 11 and Step's back end went at 13.5 years. I so know your pain even though I wish I didn't :bighug

My newest addition to my household is an 11 year old brood, I am her first and only home.

A lesson I was taught by my most missed SugarBear's breeder is to ask myself, am I keeping her alive for me or for her, how is the quality of life, do the good days/moments outweigh the bad - no answers from me as to what to do, just know we are here for you.

Bless you and know you are in our prayers and thoughts today

If you didn't have a cancer diagnosis, it would sound like a UTI, which is treatable with antibiotics. What has the vet said about this possibility?

I certainly wouldn't want your baby to suffer if she has a terminal condition, but I'd hate to let her go for something that is easily treatable.

Hoping the vet has encouraging answers for you this AM.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I went through the same thinking with my 14 year old chow. The choice was not as clear cut as it had been with my other dogs. Just when I thought the time was near she would have a good day and I would change my mind. She was my first dog and I didn't want her to go. I finally decided that I wanted to remember her having those good days at the end. I wanted to make the decision while she was still the dog I loved...with the spirit and personality that made her my heart dog. I didn't want her to be just a breathing lump of fur sleeping in the corner on bad days. That wasn't her. I also didn't want her to pace the house panting in pain when she was awake. That wasn't fair to her. It's never easy. It's what we have to do. It's for love.

If you haven't done an ultrasound yet, do it. Cheap, fast, easy, dog doesn't have to be put under. And it should tell you what you need to know as far as treating vs. not.

Sending hugs and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Andrea, whatever you decide to do, it's obvious that you're doing it out of love. Be brave and strong for your little lady, and love her while you have her with you.

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

Guest houndog990

we want the best for our beloved pets even in death. we would beg, borrow, cheat and steal to give them what they need.

this decision is up to you, and you will never feel it was the right time…it’ll always feel like too soon or too late, but know you did all you could with what you have been given, emotionally and financially.

you gave little lady they best even in the end. God rewards those who help the weak and old.

peace,

amy

Guest spider9174

Wow! Thank you so much! Yes--last night she panted most of the evening--and even crying sometimes when we were visiting at my parent's house--and I mentioned that I thought that she might be in pain :( When she goes out, it takes her a long time to come back in as she squats in the back yard with shaky little legs :( I love her, but she looks more and more sad. I know I have read some strands before on this, and most people say they dog will tell you in her eyes when she is ready.

I think they really do tell you when they are ready. I just put one of my ferrets to sleep, recently. He had a pretty invasive surgery last year but he rebounded and was healthy for another 6 or 7 months. He developed an infection and was early renal failure. We put him back on meds, he was getting fluids at the vet 2x/day, the whole deal. Through all of this he always let me syringe feed him and administer meds. He'd eat what he could and I'd feed him the rest by syringe. After his 3 week course of meds he was doing well, but 3 days off the meds and everything came back. At that point, he stopped eating and drinking and wouldn't let me administer meds and wouldn't take any food by syringe. Up until that point, every time I put chicken baby food in front of him, it was like crack. Then it didn't even phase him. That's how I knew. At some point, they just let you know they don't have the fight left.

I hope you can find some peace and understand that you gave her a wonderful home and she loves you for what you've done for her.

hugs.

This is always the most heartbreaking difficult time, and my heart aches for you. I've been there. I hate it.

When my heart girl Sissy was dying of cancer, I made a list of all the stuff she did that made her happy. Eating, playing, running, cuddling with us... when there was nothing left on the list that she could do comfortably, we let her go.

I don't know if you are a praying or meditating person, but it helped me a great deal to try to empty my mind of all the "coulda shoulda woulda" noise and just concentrate on Sissy and the essence of her being to get to what SHE needed from me during her last weeks on earth. When she had no more "good days," we knew she wanted to go.

They have their ways of letting us know when it is their time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

:heart:

Very well said

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Totally agree with Batmom about the ultrasound. It will tell you what you need to know so you can make a decision based on knowledge. I would do it ASAP to give her some relief one way or the other.

Very best wishes going out to you & your little lady. :grouphug

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis