Spaying

Guest Kaquel

Guest Kaquel

Holly was spayed this past week-I don't know what day. We brought her home Saturday. She's clearly uncomfortable-sometimes worse than others. Obviously it differs from dog to dog-but how long on average does it take for a dog to recover from spaying? Should she be in pain? What degree of pain should she be experiencing? She has the most trouble laying down-she's cried out quietly a few times. Would perhaps some baby aspirin make her a little more comfortable?

Right now she's laying down and I hope she stays down for awhile so she doesn't bother herself more.

Guest Energy11

Remember, spaying is still major abdominal surgery. They are usually a little "off" for a few days. I would NOT use baby aspirin ... it thins the blood, and your baby just had surgery. You don't want any extra bleeding.

I'd call your vet, first thing tomorrow, and ask he/she what they recommends, and also if they think her level of pain is "normal.." With humans, as you probably know, everyone's threshhold and preception of pain is different.

Good Luck with this! D

Guest TBSFlame
Holly was spayed this past week-I don't know what day. We brought her home Saturday. She's clearly uncomfortable-sometimes worse than others. Obviously it differs from dog to dog-but how long on average does it take for a dog to recover from spaying? Should she be in pain? What degree of pain should she be experiencing? She has the most trouble laying down-she's cried out quietly a few times. Would perhaps some baby aspirin make her a little more comfortable?

Right now she's laying down and I hope she stays down for awhile so she doesn't bother herself more.

Memmie never showed any discomfort at all. When I brought Riley home the vet told me to expect her to have more pain because of something inside being longer. Her incision was even longer than Memmie's. She also came home with pain pills. You could tell she was sore for several days and would yep when laying down. I felt so sorry for the baby.

Poor baby--surprised they didn't send her home with Rimadyl or the likes. Call your vet in the morning and see if they dispense some to her :( Do you have any Tramadol???--you could give her that too.

I wanted to add--I wouldn't give her aspirin--won't be able to use the Rimadyl until that's washed out of her system.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I look at it as if I had a hysterectomy how long would I feel bad, then I just translate that to my hounds.

I do think after a spay each and every vet should send the hound home with some sort of pain meds. I mean really that is MAJOR surgery!

I would call the vet tomorrow and get something for her

Guest KennelMom

They're usually bouncing back after 3-4 days...some never miss a beat. I ALWAYS insist the vet send home pain meds after a spay!!!! Call your vet tomorrow.

do call your vet and remember to leash walk her no matter what. it's major surgery and they recover far faster than women do from a hysterectomy. she should perk up in a few days, but let her rest. i remember comparing my gal's spaying to my hysterectomy and my vet said,"remember dogs are on 4 legs and gravity is not working against them." how true...at least they don't have to refrain from lifting heavy packages!

How does her incision look? She ought to be feeling OK if not super energetic by now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Kaquel

Her incision looks raw but looked raw when we brought her home. I wish I knew what day she was spayed. She definately seems to be having an easier time with getting up and down now. She is also a bit perkier (sp?). I think she's feeling a little better. I wish she had come home with some pain meds, but if she did they weren't given to us when we picked her up. No worries about the leash walking-we don't have a fenced in yard so we always leash walk.

Maybe her stitches are pulling...the incision doesn't look like it was done very cleanly, but hey I have no idea what it should look like. It's sort of raw and and red-but no oozing, bleeding, or anything like that. Just looks generally ouchy.

I will talk to the vet and see what she thinks.

My newest was spayed on a Wednesday, brought her home on Saturday and she did not show any discomfort at all. I had to make sure to keep her from running, I don't think it fazed her. She is now all healed up and does her circuit at least once a day.

Incision shouldn't look raw and red. Call vet tomorrow morning, could have an infection starting or allergic reaction to suture material.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.