Update On The Flashman

Guest hannahmom

Everyone here is thinking of you and sending the very best wishes.

Hang in there, you have people you have never met that care.

Just a thought.....maybe Flashy is not interested in eating due to the stress around him? They react to the way others around them are feeling etc. I know that you can't help that right now, but I wonder if that is the cause?? Hugs to you all...

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Glad Dee and Flashy are hanging in there, Patti!!!

so sorry your life is so very stressful and crazy right now :( :( :(

sending many hugs your way! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Think of you all often. Sending lots of prayers :)

If he wants meat--give him meat. Magic survived months on WalMart chickens :D

Ditto all -- especially the prayers part :) .

Patti, my Zema eats only meat. I give her calcium and multivitamin supplements. She does fine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Think of you all often. Sending lots of prayers :)

If he wants meat--give him meat. Magic survived months on WalMart chickens :D

Ditto all -- especially the prayers part :) .

Patti, my Zema eats only meat. I give her calcium and multivitamin supplements. She does fine.

Can you please share with me her diet and supplements? Flashy weighs 77-78 pounds. Thank you so much. You know...I was thinking this morning. All of my parents dogs lived a LONG LONG healthy life. They got shots...altered...NEVER needed a dental and they never ever bought one ounce of dog food! Our babes ate what we ate and Mom cooked a huge amount of beef each week-end and froze it into serving sizes and this is what they ate and their weight was good too! :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Zema weighs 55 lbs. Each day she eats:

- 1.2 lbs. (raw weight) ground chuck (beef); cooked; works out to just over 1 lb. cooked

- 1 ground eggshell or 2 500mg calcium pills

- 1.5 multivitamin tabs; I use VetriScience Canine Plus

- a big handful of treats/biscuits, mostly salt-free

Joseph weighs @ 70 lbs. For his elimination diet we used:

- 1.6 lbs (raw weight) ground chuck , cooked; yielded @ 1.33 lbs. when cooked

- 3 500mg calcium pills

- 2 multivitamin tabs

- big handful of treats/biscuits

For Zema I usually cook a big batch every week or two and freeze portions for any extra she won't eat in @ 5 days. If I were going to cook for them both long term, I'd probably just cook a day's meals the night before, when people supper is cooking. I have fed ground meat raw but I don't like to -- just don't trust the mass produced meat, which is what I can get easily.

Flashy weighing a little more, you could substitute some rice or barley for some of the beef. The beef I get is the midrange -- not the leanest, not the fattiest, @ 800-900 calories/lb.

ETA: When I was cooking for Batman, I did @ 50/50 beef and chicken and added egg and eggshell, spinach, pureed peas (for fiber), maybe an apple, a dollop of molasses, multivitamin. Years ago we fed a reluctant eater on beef, egg, cottage cheese, and noodles for months. So, the possibilities are endless! Mostly I try to get in a goodly amount of meat and/or egg protein and use supplements to balance if they can't/won't eat other things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Zema weighs 55 lbs. Each day she eats:

- 1.2 lbs. (raw weight) ground chuck (beef); cooked; works out to just over 1 lb. cooked

- 1 ground eggshell or 2 500mg calcium pills

- 1.5 multivitamin tabs; I use VetriScience Canine Plus

- a big handful of treats/biscuits, mostly salt-free

Joseph weighs @ 70 lbs. For his elimination diet we used:

- 1.6 lbs (raw weight) ground chuck , cooked; yielded @ 1.33 lbs. when cooked

- 3 500mg calcium pills

- 2 multivitamin tabs

- big handful of treats/biscuits

For Zema I usually cook a big batch every week or two and freeze portions for any extra she won't eat in @ 5 days. If I were going to cook for them both long term, I'd probably just cook a day's meals the night before, when people supper is cooking. I have fed ground meat raw but I don't like to -- just don't trust the mass produced meat, which is what I can get easily.

Flashy weighing a little more, you could substitute some rice or barley for some of the beef. The beef I get is the midrange -- not the leanest, not the fattiest, @ 800-900 calories/lb.

ETA: When I was cooking for Batman, I did @ 50/50 beef and chicken and added egg and eggshell, spinach, pureed peas (for fiber), maybe an apple, a dollop of molasses, multivitamin. Years ago we fed a reluctant eater on beef, egg, cottage cheese, and noodles for months. So, the possibilities are endless! Mostly I try to get in a goodly amount of meat and/or egg protein and use supplements to balance if they can't/won't eat other things.

I sent you a PM. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

Got it!

One last note: Over the short term -- month or three -- you really don't need to worry so much about nutrition for an adult dog. Once he gets back in the habit of eating, THEN you can worry about getting everything nutritionally balanced.

Sending my prayers your way. Be well Flashie and I hope the chemo treats Dee and Fred well.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Well.....I fixed him chicken and rice. I gave him 3/4 cup rice...1 1/4 chicken. I cooked the rice in the chicken broth that I boiled his chicken legs in and I boiled the rice until it absorbed all the broth. He ate 75% of the mixture....I picked it up and put it away...I will not offer it to him later...I don't want him to feel I am pressuring him in ANY way especially after so many days of force feeding coupled with the fact his has a lot of pills to take right now and I have to pill him and that is stressful enough. He was in the kitchen and very excited all the while I was cooking and fixing his food...maybe this amount filled him up???? At any rate...he will get a hand full of cookies when he goes to bed and if he asks for some of my dinner tonight I will offer him a bite... :) They all get a bite of our dinner every night...but as of late Flashy has been refusing. :blush Will he even look at this food tomorrow???? Who knows...I am running out of options...he won't touch beef in any form.

Dee got her bone chemo today and then we went to lunch. She ate VERY well and feels pretty good right now...I medicated her for pain about 2 hours ago. She is anxious for dinner so this is a good sign too. :grouphug She is so brave...so precious. :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Guest argolola

Patti, have you tried Ensure for your sweet boy? It sure helped to put some meat on Rudy's bones. (This may have been mentioned, but I have not read every thread.)

Also, we would love to see a pic of Dee. I have her pictured in my mind, but people never look like I think they do. You have all been in my prayers.

Sending more prayers for them both and lots of Hugs!!!! :grouphug:grouphug:hope

But that is Great News about Dee!!!! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

So glad Flashy ate for you! Cooking is a good trick to get the appetite going.

Hope Dee has eaten a good dinner as well!