Old Man Vomiting

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Archie, my 12.5 year old JRT/Whippet mix, has woken me up twice in the past week throwing up in the early morning hours. Mostly just slimey stomach acid. Archie is my healthy one, with a cast iron stomach. With the exception of a few bouts of stress colitis a few years ago, he's never really had any ailments at all (he did have bladder surgery to remove some polyps and bladder stones when he was 8). This boy has ten times the energy of Soul and still acts like he's four. Yet given his age, the vomiting is starting to concern me. . . . . is this just a 'getting older' symptom, or should I be concerned about something else? Like I said, Arch is my healthy one and never acts sick at all . . . . other than the morning puking everything else appears normal.

Edited by SoulsMom

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am assuming this is not a hairball sounding yackup? When was his last bloodwork? If it's been a while I would get some done. How is his appetite? He is not very senior for a cat so I would not fret too much. Would get it checked out though if its been a while since his last checkup.

Best wishes from a home with 3 hounds & 2 cats.

I don't know, Amber! But I'm sorry to hear that Archie threw up again. :( Sending hugs! I'm hoping it's nothing. :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

Yes, he and Soul both get a bedtime snack. He's due for his annual checkup this month. I guess given his age I'm worrying a bit and wondering if anyone else with older dogs has experienced something like this. The first puke I didn't worry too much at all, but now that he's done it again in less than a week I'm starting to wonder . . . .

He is not very senior for a cat so I would not fret too much.

:lol Archie's not a cat, but he sure acts like one sometimes

Edited by SoulsMom

Kramer puked a minimum of 3 times a week for 12 years...

It was always acidy stuff. I'd highly recommend the Pepcid before you worry too much!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest CDNgreys

my vet told me that my old fella had a hernia causing the vomiting, another vet told me it was megaesophagus causing the vomiting.

Good luck with your "old man". :wub:

Guest greytbookert

Hugs for you and Archie!

Does he get a before bed time snack? That might help, as well as the suggestion of pepcid. Booker used to get the bile pukies before we started giving him a bed time snack.

Vet check wouldn't hurt. If nothing turns up, might try a food change and see if that helps. Sometimes their metabolism/digestion changes as they get older and a different formulation works better for them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Poor Archie! Frosty ate some grass and vomited it up in the yard yesterday too. When it happens, I give TUMS and they seem fine. Good luck to Archie! Poor little guy!

Labs are definitely in order when he goes for his check later this month. Kidney failure symptoms can include vomiting and at his age, it's not unreasonable to expect he may be starting with some renal insufficiency. Or like others said, changes in metabolism, grass/salad snacking. Could be anything. It's not horribly frequent vomiting right now. Is his weight still good?

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

LOL! Oh, good heaven's. You clearly said that in the first sentence. Can picture you taking your "cat" to the vet. "Man, that's one funny lookin' cat, M'am." :lol So sorry. Perhaps I need to go to the doctor more than poor Archie! So guessing this ain't a hairball. Sheesh.

Still, if he is due for an annual soon you may want to push the visit up to some time soon & get a senior wellness done with bloodwork. Hope this is just a minor glitch.

PS If you want a cat, BF has one I'd love to send you. She'll answer to anything, even Archie.

Guest Energy11

We are sorry he feels badly!

I might try, like the other said, a Pepcid AC before bed, and maybe some plain yogert and a little pumpkin to settle his stomach, then go from there.

Good Luck!

Guest SoulsMom

LOL! Oh, good heaven's. You clearly said that in the first sentence. Can picture you taking your "cat" to the vet. "Man, that's one funny lookin' cat, M'am." :lol So sorry. Perhaps I need to go to the doctor more than poor Archie! So guessing this ain't a hairball. Sheesh.

Still, if he is due for an annual soon you may want to push the visit up to some time soon & get a senior wellness done with bloodwork. Hope this is just a minor glitch.

PS If you want a cat, BF has one I'd love to send you. She'll answer to anything, even Archie.

:lol No thanks, I have enough misfits in this house as it is . . . .

Thanks everyone, he usually does have his bloodwork run at his annual. Last year he was pronounced in perfect health. Oh, and the grass eating~nope he hasn't done it. Archie is my wanna be poop eater so he wears a muzzle when he's in the yard.

Is his weight still good?

Actually, I have noticed that he's looking a bit trimer but I chalked that up to the weather being nicer and the dogs are more active in the yard

Edited by SoulsMom

My 12 YO whippet would hork in the morning, too. My vet suggested withholding a little dinner and feeding it to him at bedtime so there is something in his stomach during the night to keep the acid at bay or something. Instead, I feed dinner later (for us) and they get a couple of small biscuits after their last turn out. Morning bile gifts are now much rarer. Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Judynyc
Vet check wouldn't hurt. If nothing turns up, might try a food change and see if that helps. Sometimes their metabolism/digestion changes as they get older and a different formulation works better for them.

:nod, Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking.

If you feed him a grain food, it may be time to switch to a no grain food...or switch the kind of protein he's been eating...but either way, a food switch is one thought.

In the mean time, I'd definitely give him a Pepcid at bedtime until you get it sorted out. That extra acid burns their tummy and that is why they have to get rid of it. poor babies!!

I had 2 dogs that did this chronically and it turned out it was the food I was feeding back then....ugh...Nutro!! Never again!! My vet at that time, told me dogs vomit because they can!! :rolleyes: He was not correct!! :angryfire

Guest SoulsMom

Well, he threw up again. And this time it wasn't in the early morning hours, it was in his crate while I was at work. At it was food, not just bile :(

Oh, and he's already on a grain free kibble . . . .

I'd be taking him in for his annual/blood work. Many things can change in a year. Will be praying for the JRT/Whippet "kitty". :lol

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greytbookert
Well, he threw up again. And this time it wasn't in the early morning hours, it was in his crate while I was at work. At it was food, not just bile :(

Oh, and he's already on a grain free kibble . . . .

OH Man, Amber, I'm sorry! I wish I had some good advice for you. It sounds like a trip to the vet might be in order. Have you tried any pepcid?

Guest SoulsMom

Haven't tried the pepcid yet, I was going to wait and see what Dr S said . . . .how much Pepcid or Slippery Elm would a 30lb dog need?

Ugh, I don't know when we'll be able to go . . . I only have the weekends, but the GHF open house is this weekend. I don't even know if Dr S is working next weekend since it's Memorial Day weekend. Guess I should take a day off work, this latest puke has me more worried.

Guest MAXNAV

Amber,

Is he doing any better this morning? If it were me, I'd get him checked. Man these guys make us worry soooooo much! Keep us posted.

Doreen

Guest greytbookert
Haven't tried the pepcid yet, I was going to wait and see what Dr S said . . . .how much Pepcid or Slippery Elm would a 30lb dog need?

Ugh, I don't know when we'll be able to go . . . I only have the weekends, but the GHF open house is this weekend. I don't even know if Dr S is working next weekend since it's Memorial Day weekend. Guess I should take a day off work, this latest puke has me more worried.

I've never used the Slippery Elm for vomiting but I think the dosing would be the same, a 1/4 tsp for every 10lbs of body weight, I think.

I've never used Pepcic but I'm sure someone here will know how much to use....

I hope poor Archie feels better soon!

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks Deb! Well, we are seeing the vet on Friday . . . maybe his bloodwork will show if there is cause for concern or not

Edited by SoulsMom