I Think Its Time...

Guest frase24

Guest frase24

I thinks it's time to make the decision for my Ebony to leave us. I wrote a post about a week ago asking how long after the diagnosis of bone cancer should I think about putting my Ebony down. I was overwhelmed from the replies from you. I read so many stories that sounded exactly like mine. All the replies were so helpful and I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. GreyTalk.com is like a big family with the same joys and concerns.

Saying that I had Ebony out yesterday to go to the bathroom. She is limping real bad on her leg and was walking in the back yard sniffing around and she tripped and fell and injured her bad leg even worse. Now she bears no weight on it and just sort of drags it around while she hops. I don't think it's broke, she never cried or anything. But like most of your dogs they never do when they get hurt. I'm amazed and so is my vet at her pain tolerance. Ebony can barely get up anymore and her quality of life isn't what it should be. All her senses are still there, but I know even with the medication she is in a lot of pain.

One of the best pieces of advice that I have gotten from you is "better a day too early than a day too late". It makes so much sense. It's such a tough decision for me because when she is lying down you swear there is nothing wrong with her. Her ears still perk up and she still plays with you when you rub her tummy.

Ebony is my first dog. I'm so glad I rescued her and I thank all of you for rescuing yours. They are a wonderful breed that I knew nothing about before I got her. I don't know if I will get another dog but if I do it will be a geyhound. The only thing stopping me is the feeling I have right now going through this.

I'm going to the vet tomorrow to pay him and get the paperwork out of the way so when I go there again I don't have to deal with any of that. Sometime this week I will go there for the last time.

Again I thank you all for your advice and prayers. I would like to wish happiness to you and your dogs. It was such a comfort to know how many people who don't even know me care about my situation.

Edited by frase24

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MnMDogs
One of the best pieces of advice that I have gotten from you is "better a day too early than a day too late". It makes so much sense. It's such a tough decision for me because when she is lying down you swear there is nothing wrong with her. Her ears still perk up and she still plays with you when you rub her tummy.

This is exactly what we went through with Matty. We had to let her go 6 days post dx of OS, as her quality of life diminished so quickly. She could no longer take the long walks she loved, or play like the puppy she thought she was. But laying down - you'd never know anything was wrong with her. It's a heartbreaking decision.

I'm sorry you have to make this decision. Prayers sent to give you strength.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Sending gentle hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest houndstooth4

It's never easy, and no matter what you do, you'll second guess yourself. The day I had to let Treat go, she looked at me and I just knew. I knew that she was ready to go and tired of the fight. She gave it all she had to stay with me, I believe, but her body just couldn't keep up with her spirit. I wish you peace in your decision and hope you find comfort as your heart begins to heal. It's just so darned hard!

I'm sorry, most of us know first hand just how painful this decision can be. I just never want my dogs to ever suffer because I can't bear the pain of letting them go. My thoughts are with you and Ebony.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Spencers_Greyt

It's perhaps the hardest thing you will ever have to do! Be strong for your girl! :bighug

My heart is breaking for you. :grouphug It's such a hard decision to make. :( However, giving her the final release from pain is the greatest gift of all... made from a place of loving kindness. :heart My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ebony this week. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry you're having to make this most painful of decisions. Osteo is a blind monster, and too many of us know exactly what you're going through. You know your girl best, and know when it is time. I'm so sorry she couldn't stay with you longer, but doing what is best for Ebony is the most loving gift you can give.

You and your sweet girl will be in our thoughts tomorrow.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Osteo seems to be one of the toughest cancers for us humans to get our minds around

Basically our dogs seem totally healthy other than this one limb/area that is causing the problem.

It sucks, plain and simple

Be strong for Ebony. It won't be easy and it will be one of the hardest things you will have to do.

But it's the final gift you can give your girl.

:grouphug:hope:grouphug

I am sorry

Guest Greytnorth

I'm so very sorry that you don't have more time with her. My thoughts will be with you and Ebony this week. :grouphug

Guest WarmheartedPups

You are doing the best thing you can for your special girlie...I am so very sorry. My heart goes out to you

I'm so sorry you have to make that decision, it is truly the hardest one I have ever had to make. It's so very hard when their spirit is still strong, but their body cannot keep going on. I could not agree more with letting them go a day early than a day late; I said goodbye to my Sydney Sue this last Monday because I knew she couldn't keep going on. I let her go on a good day, and it was so hard, and so bittersweet, but it was also so the right thing to do. I wish you much strength, you are a very good dog-mom to let your baby go instead of suffering. It's hardest on those left behind. :grouphug :grouphug

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

I too unfortunately know how you feel. You can know in your mind and your heart that it is the right thing to do, but that doesn't make it any easier. Best of luck in your decision and enjoy the time you have left. You are in my thoughts.

Osteo seems to be one of the toughest cancers for us humans to get our minds around

Basically our dogs seem totally healthy other than this one limb/area that is causing the problem.

It sucks, plain and simple

Be strong for Ebony. It won't be easy and it will be one of the hardest things you will have to do.

But it's the final gift you can give your girl.

:grouphug:hope:grouphug

I am sorry

I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest kydie

I am so sorry about your friend, I know how you feel, reading your story brings tears to my eyes, I always go by a saying an old vet told me once "She was a good friend to you all her life, it is time to be a good friend back"