Lincoln To Become A Bionic Puppy On Tuesday

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:candle:hope:candle:hope:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending lots of best wishes for Lincoln and his Mummy :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest BoogieDown

We are sending out good thoughts to Lincoln, and to you! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Lincoln.

Thanks everyone!

Long day...

We got there at 11am as scheduled. They took Lincoln back for the Ortho to exam him again before meeting with me.

When he got me to talk about Lincoln he made me very nervous. He mentioned that he has pain in his toes & knees -so more damage than originally discussed. He reminded me that this surgery had never been done on a Greyhound and with his other joint issues would probably not be 100% after the THR. He said he wanted to take more xrays & asked that I return at 3pm.

I went to lunch - same place boondog & I went last time since I recognized it. I spent the entire time on the phone with friends discussing my nervousness.

When the Ortho met me in the afternoon he showed me the new xrays & said it was no worse than it was 3 weeks ago. I just asked me if he felt trepidation with the surgery. He said his concern was he has never done it on a Greyhound & could not tell me what to expect. If he were a lab he could tell me how the surgery would go & what would happen with recovery. He doesn't have that knowledge for a Greyhound. With Lincoln's other joint problems he is concerned he may need both hips done and/or that he may need long term anti-inflammatories to give him relief.

I told him I am not made of money, but I want Lincoln to have the best quality of life he can have. If the THR can give him that then I want to try it. He said with just pain mgmt he would not be able to walk in a couple of years. I asked if there is a chance his toes will quit hurting if he walks better - he now walks on the toes of high right feet. He said it might, but no guarantees.

They normally keep a dog overnight with a THR, but he wants to keep Lincoln until Friday. He wants to be sure there are no complications & his meds are right before he releases him. For at least the first 4 weeks he will be leash walked only & kept in an xpen. We will have to see how he does & play it by ear from there.

I saw Dr. Couto before I left & he asked how it went. I told him the surgeon made me nervous because Lincoln is a guinea pig. He said surgeons always strive for perfection & to not worry. He said Lincoln was in the best hands available. He also asked me if he could send some blood to Cornell who is currently doing research on hip dysplasia. The control group in the study is Greyhounds since they are not prone to the disease. I hope Lincoln doesn't bias their research.

They let me go back & say goodbye to Linky. He was still groggy from the xrays. The nurse caring for him just carried on about how wonderful he is. Several people commented on his beautiful black brindle coat. I know - they say that to everyone, but it helps when you are nervous.

Another 3.5 hr drive home. Lincoln's student called tonght to tell me he was awake & had eaten his dinner. His surgery will be either late morning or early afternoon tomorrow. She will call me post-op to let me know he is done. Then she will call me later after their surgery schedule is complete to give me all the details.

So tomorrow is his big day. He will breech some unchartered Greyhound territory.

I will post more when I know it.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Guest ChancesMom

Jennifer, I am just seeing this. I know how nervous you must be but we also know that he is in the best hands that he could be in. I will be praying for him and for you today. Please post when you know something.

Hugs to you, Donna

Lincoln, from one "bionic person" to an about-to-be bionic hound, let me tell you bionic is the way to go!

Scritches and you're in on the ND candle, of course.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Finally got the call...

He just got out of surgery, but is still sound asleep. They have moved him to recovery. His student said the surgery went well & she will call me tonight with all the details.

Thanks for the thoughts & prayers!

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY