Blood Blister Or Something More?

King has this spot that we thought was just a blood blister for about a month. It was raised but covered by fur, it was a deep purple, almost black. It almost looked like a nipple but it is on his shoulder... :) Well today I lifted the fur to have a look at it and it started bleeding! It looks really red and now I'm not sure if it is a blood blister or something more... I read that sometimes things like this can be hemangioma and that would really worry me! Here is a picture of it tonight. Please let me know if you think it warrants a trip to the vet...

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

And here is one for perspective

IMG_2018.jpg

We appreciate any thoughts you can offer!

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

Guest jurishound

I would have it checked out ASAP. It could be a number of things, but if it is hemangiosarcoma, it will need to be removed promptly. Our precious grey Stormy, who we lost to atrial hemangiosarcoma in December, had similar lesions on his skin. The vet looked at them but we never had them biopsied - something I will always regret. :(

Dermal Hemangiosarcoma

King has this spot that we thought was just a blood blister for about a month. It was raised but covered by fur, it was a deep purple, almost black. It almost looked like a nipple but it is on his shoulder... :) Well today I lifted the fur to have a look at it and it started bleeding! It looks really red and now I'm not sure if it is a blood blister or something more... I read that sometimes things like this can be hemangioma and that would really worry me! Here is a picture of it tonight. Please let me know if you think it warrants a trip to the vet...

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

And here is one for perspective

IMG_2018.jpg

We appreciate any thoughts you can offer!

It's probably a hemangioma. My boy Marx has a few and they have been checked out by the vet and have been benign.

Just to be safe I'd have your vet check it out. They can aspirate it and check it under the microscope. Marx has scratced one open, it bleed, scabbed up and now is starting to come back.

edited cause I'm confused

Edited by Lilysmom

Praying for all the missing greys!

It looks like exactly like what Wayne had and the same color. His was a Plasmacytoma and had to be removed with clean margins.

They're usually always benign but it should be checked by your vet.

Try not to worry and keep us posted please

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Lovey_Hounds

vegas has one by his ear and we had it checked and the vet said it was nothing to worry about... if he scratches it it bleeds... it gross but nothing to worry about. always double check with your vet every dog is different.

Guest WarmheartedPups

Roo had something similar that turned out to be Hemangiosarcoma....hers would not stop bleeding.

I would say it could be a number of things ....benign or scary....so I would go get it looked at ...sooner the better.

Keep us posted.

I would have it removed and sent for pathology. Many times they are harmless, but if they bleed they should, in my opinion, come off. First, there is a risk of infection every time it breaks open. They are also harder to monitor for changes since they by nature change - they can shrink, then grow, then burst and so on.

Praying it turns out to be something simple.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I would also have it removed and sent for pathology. Sunny and Sophie have both had something that looked a bit like it and one turned out to be a cutaneous hemangioma and the other was an angiokeratoma - both benign but if left could progress to cutaneous hemangiosarcoma, the malignant variety. I personally would never accept my vet telling me something was benign just by looking at it - I would at least request a needle biopsy.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

It's probably a hematoma. My boy Marx has a few and they have been checked out by the vet and have been benign.

Just to be safe I'd have your vet check it out. They can aspirate it and check it under the microscope. Marx has scratced one open, it bleed, scabbed up and now is starting to come back.

Actually a hematoma is a bruise. Did you mean hemangioma? I believe they are benign.

Guest greydogluvr

My Inca had these as well. His first at age 10. I had them checked frequently. His turned out to be cutaneous hemangiosarcoma. This is very different than subcutaneous hemangio. We kept them in check with removal and monitoring. He live to be 14... I guess I am trying to ease your worry, though I know words are not enough. I would get them check out just for peace of mind.

We just got back from the vet and he said not to worry about it and to keep it clean. He drained it but it is still there and is smaller now. The vet also said to watch if anymore come up and if they do or that one does not go away then to come back and he'll take care of it. Other than that everyone at the vet was happy to see King, the sitting greyhound (he's the only greyhound in their practice that will actually do a proper sit :) ). Also, the vet has a wonderful white greyhoundie girl up for adoption. (sorry no pics. :weep ) King had a good time at the vet, he loves the attention. :)

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad we took him in. We'll be keeping a close eye on him!

Back to watching the sitting greyhound. :)

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

It's probably a hematoma. My boy Marx has a few and they have been checked out by the vet and have been benign.

Actually a hematoma is a bruise. Did you mean hemangioma? I believe they are benign.

yes, you are correct, thanks for pointing that out.

Praying for all the missing greys!