Greying Muzzle

Guest LeanneSchatz

Guest LeanneSchatz

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how old your greys were when their muzzle started going grey? Sizzle just turned 5 and in the last year since we adopted her, her muzzle has gotten much more grey. Any idea why? She is in good health.

Thanks!

Leanne

Guest BlackandBrindle

Some just go grey before others :)

Sadie turned five and overnight it seems her muzzle has gone grey. Spud, at 7, is just now starting to sport some greys in his brindle.

My last dog started to go grey at 2. It means nothing relating to health, just as it means nothing that my very cute boss was 100% silver by the age of 35!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My first girl started at 3, Misty started at 7 and Wayne started at 8. Tanner never did and the others were grey when they came

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Emmy and Andy started graying at the age of 3, my big black boys started at around 5.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Gabe will be 8 in July, and his blue muzzle has really started to turn white over the last year. I think he looks distinguished. :)

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest roughcountrygirl

Actually, since I have found out through this greyhound research, there is a gene for coat color that determines greying. Either they get it, or they don't. Not all dogs get it. I had two littermates Ty and Gertie (godspeed my baby) and Ty started going grey at two and Gertie never did. Now I have a one year old who is black but already had single white furs on his face. His mohter is Ty's sister through their sire, and she is 7 and grey. So, the anwser is... either they have it or they don't :rolleyes:

So glad this topic came up. Brandi is 8 and her face is almost white. She still thinks she is black so we do not have any mirrors in the house. About 6 years of age we really started seeing the white come in. :rolleyes:

My boy Bart is starting to grey, he just turned 5 last month. My girl Olive just turned 4 and has no grey.

My husband, Bart, will be so happy that you named your grey after him! :rolleyes::lol

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest argolola

My boy is 2 and his black muzzle is turning white. Lola started getting what we call her "senior snout" around 8 years old. The grey noses are soooooo cute.

Most greys I know have started turning grey in their 3rd year and by 5 many of them are white faced. I love it. There is nothing wrong with them and obviously the lighter the dog, the harder it is to tell!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FrostyBottoms

Frosty is 5 and Vinny almost 5 and they have both started greying recently, it's sad to me, even though I know they are still young.

My Merlin's face has turned very white over the last year. He is 4 years old...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest CDNgreys

Ages 3 & 4 for my gray guys.

I just adopted Ranger days after his 5th birthday and I thought I got the wrong bertillion card with him. :lol:

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I have a friend who's 2 y/o Greyhound is already greying quite a bit. I had a 4 y/o foster that was completely grey. They all grey early I think. The 2 I have have white faces to begin with so it's a bit harder to tell but the white isn't as creamy white any longer.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frankie started going grey at around 3. He's brindle with a black mask and the grey makes him looks so distinguished! Chels has a white face at 7; but she may have had a white face all along, she's a red fawn girl with white "trim" and I don't know if her muzzle has been white all along or if she's gone grey. It's not all that clear on her bertillion.

Bridge kid Scully started going grey all over at 2....current girl Sadi is 10 and has only just started to go grey on her muzzle (both black dogs)...it really is just genetic (says a woman who started to go grey at 13...thanks Mum)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Yogi started turning grey almost the day he arrived at DD's home at age 5. Martin, at age 6, hasn't started turning grey. Emmet's face is white and there's little evidence of greying. Most interesting though, the backs of Yogi's legs are turning grey, which is pretty cute.

Indy, 11, is brindle with plenty of tiger stripes and his face started to gray at about 6. Holly, 10, is white with fawn ears. Frankly, other than some "worry wrinkles" on her face and increased ticking on her body, she doesn't look all different from when I adopted her. White dogs definitely hide their age well! :lol:

Edited by IndyandHollyluv